PDA

View Full Version : Need New Low Carb/Low Fat Protein Source.

defcon
11-10-2003, 04:41 PM
Hey guys.. im looking for a source of protein that is low in fat, and low in carb. such as tuna.. but not tuna.. i would use egg whites, but its not possible for me to boil that many living in a dorm etc etc.. anything else that you guys have found ? I would not want to buy a protein blend to drink with some of my meals because IMO whole food > shakes. Bleh.. anyone?

Jasonl
11-10-2003, 06:12 PM
CHICKEN, lean beef, other type of fish. shakes aren't bad either, i use them, so do a lot of other members.

WillKuenzel
11-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Turkey.

Although there is nothing wrong with shakes. If cutting, I like whole food better but when bulking shakes help considerably in putting down some additional calories.

Spartacus
11-10-2003, 07:09 PM
why do you want shakes over whole food? if you just need more protein and don't want anything else, just buy some protein. if, say, you want fats, minerals, vitamins, fiber, and protein, buy some peanuts then.

maybe just try to make higher-protein food choices in general.

drew
11-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Lean beef jerkey :)

Shroud
11-10-2003, 09:37 PM
1) turkey meat (as in off a roasted bird, not slices)
2) boneless chicken breast

AJ_11
11-10-2003, 09:48 PM
cottage cheese, you cab get the dry curd stuff with barely any carbs in it

Shroud
11-10-2003, 09:56 PM
With the rise in popularity of ketogenic diets like Atkins, it's getting ALOT easier to find protein sources with fewer carbs in them. For instance, take a look at some of the bread offerings these days, decent amounts of protein with lower amounts of carbs.

defcon
11-11-2003, 06:00 AM
thanx guys..

Jason - i use to have chicken all the time home, now in a dorm room i can't cook nothing, so chicken is out :(

Homeyeild - turkey is out, unless i buy the deli meat stuff, and that is prolly not the best. I would love to have a rotissory( spelling? ) in my dorm room tho. yummy, smell of thanksgiving every day! :)

Spartacus - I don't want shakes over whole food.. re read my thread :) i got enough fats in the diet, i just need to find a replacement for tuna.. nearby roommates saying the place is starting to smell :P

Drew - looked at that alrdy.. only stuff i could find is like, REALLY expensive.. were taking 5 bucks for 30 grams protein.. im not paying that :P bring on the shakes instead!

AJ - never seen cottage cheese with low carb.. i'll have to look more closely next time im at the store tho, thanx.

Shroud - yeah, i live in a faily small place tho.. checked out a few helath food stores and they are "planning to get involved with atkins" after christmas in the new year, so until then.. im still looking :\

Anyway, im looking at buying the protein blend here at atlarge.. what flavour do you guys think is the best tasting? choc.. or vanilla? I use Choc ON Whey now.. so i might go with vanilla.. hmm.

About atlarge.. i don't have a creditcard.. can i just a moneyorder? im in canada.. so i would have to get a money order made out to the price givin.. and put it in american dollars right? how long would it take the money order to get to atlearge, appox? and how long does it take to ship from atlarge to canada? ( im gonna post this in the atlarge forum also ). But maybe sumone can answer here?

thanx guys, any more opinions are welcome! :)

AllUp
11-11-2003, 12:34 PM
Was gonna say chickenbreast or turkey but its been posted many times. :P

As for deli turkey it's not that bad. Only thing is the extra salt in it ntm any other preservatives it may have. Salsalito Turkey owns you all. :D

chrisconnell85
11-12-2003, 07:05 PM
How about 6-10 egg whites? No carbs or no fats. I like to scramble them with a little skim milk and low fat non stick spray for frying. Add some hot sauce to it and you got a low carb/fat high protein meal! Taste great, and it's cheap too!
BTW each egg white has around 3.5-4 grams of protein......

EDIT: Woops....Should have read your post more clearly. Sorry about that....

defcon
11-13-2003, 09:26 AM
hehe its ight man, nice suggestion tho, i wish i could use eggs :( so cheap, so good..