PDA

View Full Version : Workout -> Shake ->Cardio??

defcon
11-11-2003, 06:30 AM
Hey.. im cutting right now, and im gonna up my cardio to also incluide it on one of my workout days.. the problem is, there is no way i can seperate the cardio from workoing out, because of university time table. BUt lets say i do my workout, then take a p/w shake of whey, dextrose, creatine.. then do cardio at a med intensity for 30-40 mins.. would this be beneficial in fat buring? or would the muscle loss be to great..

or should i do a workout, then just whey+creatine shake, then cardio.

or should i do a workout, then cardio, then whey+dextrose+creatin shake..

anyone? studies if you have them please.

Midian
11-11-2003, 06:48 AM
cardio will greatly tax the the carbs and when the carbs are out it will put amino's to glucose, take some carbs before training, and then some after training so you won't run out of them, but this might get you fatter

i would have a couple of hours between cardio and workout, but first workout and then cardio

defcon
11-11-2003, 06:51 AM
Hmm, * rethinks * i might beable to find a way to space it out by like 3 hours... would this be suffiecient ?

Midian
11-11-2003, 06:54 AM
yeah, still make sure you have sufficient carbs though if you are noticing that your not recovering on a normal rate i would add some carbs to you diet like 20-30 min before cardio should not be much just enough to keep you going

defcon
11-11-2003, 06:55 AM
yeah, i can play arounbd with the carbs no prob. I think i may try that. THanx for the help.

bradley
11-11-2003, 08:21 AM
I really do not think it will be an issue as long as you keep total training time (weights+cardio) at a reasonable level. I would try to keep the session around 60-75 minutes in length and then consume your post workout shake after completion of your cardio.

defcon
11-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Hmm? well the workout is only short, say 35-45 mins, then 25 mins or cardio @ med intensity..

This brings me to another question.. since im depleated from the workout, would the added medium cardio burn more fat then if i dun the same amount of cardio being non depleated?

For instance.. peple say that it takes 20 mins @ 70% hr until the body uses fat for fuel.. would my body use the fat for feul sooner since i lifted weights before the cardio?

bradley
11-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by defcon
This brings me to another question.. since im depleated from the workout, would the added medium cardio burn more fat then if i dun the same amount of cardio being non depleated?

For instance.. peple say that it takes 20 mins @ 70% hr until the body uses fat for fuel.. would my body use the fat for feul sooner since i lifted weights before the cardio?

You will mobilize more fat when glycogen levels are low, but this would also increase the risk for muscle catabolism, although I doubt this is going to be an issue.

The fuel used during cardio will vary depending on intensity, where low/moderate intensity will use a larger percentage of fat for fuel, and as intensity increases the body will rely on a higher percentage of glycogen as fuel.

I really do not think it matters when you perform cardio, since in the end you will be burning calories, which will help in creating an overall calorie deficit. It would be more of an issue if you were trying to mobilize stubborn bf, or decrease bf well below your setpoint.