PDA

View Full Version : Cardio Causing Pain Question

Kneebiter
11-12-2003, 07:31 AM
hello everyone,

I have been working out Since August 23rd and I am 41 years old. I am trying to lose weight (low carbing) and trying to do cardio 3-5 times a week(20-35 minutes usually on the treadmill, although I did the elliptical yesterday and I have the same problem today). My problem is I have been feeling pain on the left side of my knees(on the tread mill the pain was on left side on right knee and on elliptical left side of left knee). I am thinking since it switched legs when I did the elliptical that it has something to do with my running technique. Maybe I am putting too much emphasis (stress) on one side. I remember having the same problem in my running days years ago. Any suggestions??? I really want to do the cardio. Could it be not enough stretching? How much stretching should I do and what exercises?? Any other suggestions??? Supplements??? heat pads??? Is that a common spot for soreness?? If its just sore cause its getting stronger like muscles do that is fine but to me it seems the start of a bigger injury.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions.

Sincerely,
Knee

Leviathan
11-12-2003, 09:45 AM
You could always try forms of cardio that have less impact on the knees (i.e. swimming or recumbent bike). At 41 years old injuries are more common, and stretching is more important. I'd give 5-10 minutes of stretching before cardio.

Paul Stagg
11-12-2003, 11:37 AM
Glucosamine/condroitin helps with my joint pain.

There's a whole bunch of stuff that could be going on here.

You're old. Old people ache. Ask Delphi.

Could be your technique. Most of us are not runners, so we probably wouldn't be much help - even if we could, it would be tough to diagnose anything there without wathcing you. Do you have similar pain when running on surface?

Your shoes. Could be your shoes are either worn out or not appropriate for your feet.

Alignment. You could be pronating your feet, for example, and causing a misalignment in your joints, spine, neck, etc.

Flexibility. You could just b einflexible, and have an issue there.

Muscle imbalance. Either your quads or hamstrings is FAR stronger than the other (usually quads).

My first suggestion is to incorporate wieght training into your routine.

My second suggestion is to stop doing things that hurt until you know WHY they make you hurt.

Third, ice and rest.

If that stuff fails, see your doc.

raniali
11-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Paul Stagg

Could be your technique. Most of us are not runners, so we probably wouldn't be much help - even if we could, it would be tough to diagnose anything there without wathcing you. Do you have similar pain when running on surface?

Your shoes. Could be your shoes are either worn out or not appropriate for your feet.

Alignment. You could be pronating your feet, for example, and causing a misalignment in your joints, spine, neck, etc.

:withstupi

i am (and have been for too many years) a runner ... with injuries. for me, it all boils down to technique, shoes and alignment ... with SHOES making the most difference. i would try finding a running store (not FootLocker or the like) but a place where the staff actually know what they are talking about and can assess what you need by looking at your foot and watching you walk.