PDA

View Full Version : EFAs

donescobar2000
11-12-2003, 11:39 AM
As I have been doing reasearch on EFAs I have noticed that the n3 fats seem to be the best ones for you. I also noticed that n6 fats seem to have no good beneifits to your health. I am kind of confused though...why is it that the ratio is 3:1 N6 to N3 when the best beneifts come from the N3s?

Shroud
11-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Ideally you want a 1:1 O-3:O-6 ratio but this is REALLY hard to do. If you can achieve a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio then you're doing damn good compared to 99% of the population out there. The best source for O-3 is fish oil and my personal recommendation is to get some in liquid form that is citrus flavored. Adding 1-2 teaspoons to every meal helps to up your O-3 ratio quite easily.

Spartacus
11-12-2003, 08:02 PM
the ratio is important so that your body can convert plant omegas (linolenic acid) into DHA and EPA which your body needs. if you're getting those through fish oil though, more omega-6 isn't going to hurt. omega6 aren't all bad, they can have some benefits for health, but only if it does'nt throw the 3:6 ratio out of balance if you're using plant sources of omega 3.

thats why fish oil is popular, you don't need to watch the ratio so close. (and aso the conversion process is inefficient.)