PDA

View Full Version : Carbs to low?

Hercule
11-12-2003, 08:33 PM
I am on a cut, and I am taking the atkins diet approach. I am getting about 2000 calories a day. Carbs are always less than 60g, and protein is between 250-300g. I have plenty of energy,but my strength is slightly going down. I am really noticing a difference in only a few weeks. I am working out 4X a week, and jogging a mile 2X a week. Do I need to bump up my carbs a little bit to prevent my muscles from being used for energy?

Relentless
11-13-2003, 08:12 AM
I think on most calorie-deficit diets, you'll see a bit of a decline in strength

what you may want to try with your carbs is getting them pre-workout in an accessible form (dextrose, etc.)... I generally follow a modified TKD (per Lyle Macdonald) for my cutting and I take carbs in my preworkout shake (usually 30g or so at that point) to help fuel the workout and I have found that I generally minimize strength loss through this method.

geoffgarcia
11-13-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Hercule
I am on a cut, and I am taking the atkins diet approach. I am getting about 2000 calories a day. Carbs are always less than 60g, and protein is between 250-300g. I have plenty of energy,but my strength is slightly going down. I am really noticing a difference in only a few weeks. I am working out 4X a week, and jogging a mile 2X a week. Do I need to bump up my carbs a little bit to prevent my muscles from being used for energy?

stop jogging 2x a week as thats just burning extra calories.
At your age you probably have a fairly quick metabolism and maintenance for you is probably around 2400-2700 calories.

So 2000 is a good starting point for a cut
however when you burn calories in a day from working out or cardio you need to add calories for that day.

Each "workout day" I would up ur caloric intake by 3-500 calories

Also it was my impression that atkins is anti carb? and that 60 is way over the top? are you sure your in ketosis? do you use the test strips?

Also you may want to look into some fat shifting products such as Ab-Solve and Lipoderm to help shake out some excess fat you might be carrying.

Good luck man, and congrats on getting started on losing weight!

Minotaur
11-13-2003, 09:37 AM
You're only getting 1440 calories (max) from the protein and carbs. Unless you are using fat to make up the rest of the calories (at least 60g to get 540 calories) to bump you up to at least 2000 calories, yes, you will feel a decline. 1400 calories is too little. If you want to treat this as a keto diet, or even a ckd, drop the carbs lower, and make sure your fat consumption is at least 60-70g per day. You could do a 1 day carb refeed on the weekend. That will refill your glycogen stores to plump out your muscles and provide some energy for your workouts.

Geoff, yes 60g is too high for Atkins or any keto diet. No more than 30g net (fiber doesn't add into the carb total, so eat all the broccoli you can stomach).

Btw, where in NJ are you? I'm in Monmouth County.

Minotaur
11-13-2003, 09:38 AM
D'oh! I see it, Hunterdon County. Nice. I worked in Flemington for a bit.

defcon
11-13-2003, 09:43 AM

60 carbs are not atkins.. sounds more like a TDK where the only carbs you take come from dextrose BEFORE your workout.

2000 calories a day is way to low for your Bodyweight. that is only like 9xBW, im cutting and im 173 lbs and taking in 2100-2200 and losing a little too fast i think. I'd DEF up the calories to 25-2600 and start from there.

Keep jogging, those that only lose weight through diet become skinny fat. and you don;t want this, trust me. Also, about the loss of strength, this is bound to happen since your in a calori deficit, your not necessarily losing muslce ( maybe a little bit but your lifting stats will drop because your gyc. stores are depleated, and you have no energy.

geoffgarcia
11-13-2003, 10:15 AM
Minotaur- sweet, I'm just east of there, in Clinton

Originally posted by defcon

im 173 lbs and taking in 2100-2200 and losing a little too fast i think. I'd DEF up the calories to 25-2600 and start from there.

do you add calories on workout days? (from your signature thing I agree you are losing way to fast)

Originally posted by defcon

Keep jogging, those that only lose weight through diet become skinny fat. and you don;t want this, trust me.

If he wasn't lifting then i'd totally agree with you that he should continue the cardio (the skinny fat thing I'm not to sure about), but since he is lifting I can't understand why he will get any benefit from cardio.
please explain this to me in much more detail, if there is a better way to cut I'm always interested in hearing it.

Bottom line is, jogging is fine if you just up your calorie intake for that day. Its my experience that extra exercise just leaves larger room for error in calculating how many calories to get for a day. If ur serious about ur cut then u have to be serious about what you eat.

aka23
11-13-2003, 11:27 AM

I would recommend focusing more on the rate of weight loss than the number of calories. The slower your rate of weight loss, the less likely you are to catabolize muscle. I would also suggest incorporating refeeds into your diet plan. They may reduce muscle loss, improve your workouts, and improve stalled weight/fat loss.

Protein catabolism during cardio or weightraining increases when glycogen levels are low, on a lower carb diet. However, fat would be better mobilized from stubborn areas under such conditions, which would be one of the main benefits of doing cardio. I doubt that much muscle loss would occur during a short workout, like jogging a mile. One study found that protein utilization was about 10% during a one-hour medium-intensity session under nearly complete glycogen depletion. Most of this protein would come from the amino acid pool, rather than muscle. Protein utilization would be reduced as duration or intensity decrease, or as carb intake increases.

In my opinion, the main benefit of lower carb diets is appetite control. A caloric deficit causes weight loss, whether macronutrient balances change or not. Studies suggest that when there is adequate protein, muscle loss is roughly the same between high and low carb diets, so long as calorie balance is kept constant. Regardless of whether ketosis/low-carb diets are a less catabolic environment, they certainly are not anabolic, and may result in lost potential muscle by interfering with workouts and recovery. In addition protein usage for energy increases dramatically during high intensity exercise (like weightlifting or HIIT) under conditions of glycogen depletion.

Shao-LiN
11-13-2003, 01:04 PM
Atkins seems more geared towards people who don't lift. If you're going to do a low carb type diet, I'd recommand something like a CKD instead of you're going to lift.

With little to no carbs in your system, your lifts will definately be hampered due to the depletion of muscle glycogen. So you shouldn't really be looking for gains strength-wise on a cut utilizing little to no carbs.