PDA

View Full Version : At what BF% do you cut?

Dedicated
11-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Title says it all, just curious as to everyones opinion. Figured I'd post this in diet since most people change their diet to cut, feel free to move it if it's in the wrong spot.

Edit - Meant to post a poll and forgot to click poll sorry.

geoffgarcia
11-12-2003, 10:38 PM
I cut for the summer, bulk in the winter

usually start my cut around April and tend to lose about 1% bf per month

My typical year range is between 6.5 - 10%

Spartacus
11-12-2003, 10:39 PM
when my stomach starts to hang over my pants when i'm sitting down, and i can't seem my abs at all.

Dedicated
11-12-2003, 11:00 PM
That's pretty lean geoff. Good replys, this just reinforces my need to cut. Maybe a mod can add a poll to this?

geoffgarcia
11-13-2003, 12:07 AM
Dedicated, yeah, I hate it...putting on weight (muscle/fat) is super difficult for me

currently eating about 3200+ cal per day on a bulk, and have only gained 2lbs in about 7 weeks.
I'm eating very clean. But will try to bump to 3500 cals for a few weeks.

jinxx
11-13-2003, 01:33 AM
At about 14-15%

hemants
11-13-2003, 07:55 AM
16% but then again, i only get down to about 12%

defcon
11-13-2003, 09:45 AM
im cutting now, im like 18 % hoping to get down to 10%, then bulk to 14 or so % then cut down to sub 10 for atleast the end half of the summer :P but in the future i will never let myself go above 12% on a bulk, and would like to be 7-8% after a cut.

Scott S
11-13-2003, 11:46 AM
I posted this as a poll once, and many have before. Lots of people cut when they get to 15-20%, a few when they lose their abs.

I'm going to try to stay under 15% or so in the future. That'll mean some slow bulking if I'm ever going to put on mass.

I personally think it's kind of a waste to focus too much on seeing your abs if you don't have much LBM. That's why I'm not freaking out about cutting to 8% or whatever before I bulk again. Waste of time.

geoffgarcia
11-13-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Scott S
I personally think it's kind of a waste to focus too much on seeing your abs if you don't have much LBM.
I totally agree.

There should be some formula for it *LOL*
try this formula

bw*(100-bf%)= LBM
LBM/(height in inches)
185@8%bf = 185x.92 = 170lbs LBM/70" tall = 2.43lbs per " of height

as long as ur over 2.1 per " u might be ok? not sure:) just got bored and wrote this thing....

AllUp
11-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Spartacus
when my stomach starts to hang over my pants when i'm sitting down, and i can't seem my abs at all.

ROFL
That reminds me of a Nick Burns(Your companys computer guy) episode on SNL.

FatGuy: "Hey Nick, I have a 2 questions for you.."
Nick: "Yeah let me guess. What color are your shoes, and whens lunch.."

Dedicated
11-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by defcon
im cutting now, im like 18 % hoping to get down to 10%, then bulk to 14 or so % then cut down to sub 10 for atleast the end half of the summer :P but in the future i will never let myself go above 12% on a bulk, and would like to be 7-8% after a cut.
From your pic on the members pic section, although it's a bit blurry, I would guess I am at 18% also. Again it's a bit blurry so I can;t be certain. We are also the same height also, I'm a little shorter, would be interesting to see how your cut goes. I wonder how low your weight will go before you are at 10% hmm, assuming you gain nor lose no muscle that is. I'm 170 now so wondering how low my bw will drop, assuming I lose no muscle, nor gain any. I lost tons of bf my last cut, but I lost muscle too by undereating and doing cardio on an empty stomach, I've learned my lesson I just hope I can lose the bf. Do you have a journal?

Scott S
11-13-2003, 02:10 PM
geoff: Interesting thoughts. If possible, I'd try to judge that based on how much of a person's potential LBM they've attained. For example,

me now = 128 lb LBM :(
me halfway to my limit (of 160) = 145 lb LBM. :)

But I'd have to think about it more. We had a similar discussion in the cafeteria as to a machine that could judge which girls should be allowed to get ice cream from the machine. :D

geoffgarcia
11-13-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Scott S
I'd try to judge that based on how much of a person's potential LBM they've attained. For example,

me halfway to my limit (of 160) = 145 lb LBM. :)

We had a similar discussion in the cafeteria as to a machine that could judge which girls should be allowed to get ice cream from the machine. :D

yeppers that all sounds good!
how tall are ya?

I love the ice cream idea:) I'm a big fan of that!