PDA

View Full Version : Eating at night makes u fat MYTH

mstar
11-13-2003, 07:28 AM
Guys/Gyals a new study which has just been released backs up the things bradley has been saying here regarding "eating at night makes u fat" myth

to summurise (if ur lazy to read the full article):

"In conducting this study, we noted the times that animals ate. Some of the monkeys ate most of their food during the evening and night-time hours.

"However, weight gain and the time of day that the animals were feeding had no correlation whatsoever."

Nigel Denby of the British Dietetic Association backed the findings.

"The bottom line is a calorie is a calorie whenever you eat it," he told BBC News Online.

"You're body doesn't really recognise what time of day it is. It is a little bit of a myth.

the full article is found at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3263249.stm

(it was done on monkeys but i dnt think it is to far from the truth for humans?)

IronDaddy
11-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Just saw this today.

http://www.katu.com/health/story.asp?ID=62395

Basically same study. I don't understand why they'd study monkeys instead of humans for this study. Seems like it would make a difference to me.

Esperantistino
11-13-2003, 08:36 AM
Um. guys, they removed the OVARIES of these female monkeys. How many women would you be able to find to have this done.
The conclusion about eating moments was something the researchers weren't looking for, just coincidential find.

READ before you post silly remarks.
Now, of course you can REPEAT the study with human volunteers just to look at effect of the moment of food intake.

However, monkeys are very similar to people and also a lot easier to manipulate. I can't really think of volunteers whom you'd lock up and let them eat ad libitum on specific moments of the day etc. etc....

Espi

geoffgarcia
11-13-2003, 08:56 AM
I'm not trying to flame anything/anyone with this post, I just enjoy taking the devils advocate position

Originally posted by IronDaddy
Just saw this today.

http://www.katu.com/health/story.asp?ID=62395

Basically same study. I don't understand why they'd study monkeys instead of humans for this study. Seems like it would make a difference to me.

The studies sound nice.

I'm a bit of a doubting Thomas though and my mind is telling me that with the advent of the web people will post any 'ol newstory they want and others will take it as fact just because its on the web or has the word "study" in the title.

I have taken many courses in statistics and rely heavily on data manipulation, interpretation in my job - point being, you'd be amazed how much data can be manipulated to come to any given conclusion.

To convince me I'd wanna see exactly who did the research, how it was performed, how it was controlled, blah blah blah.

All these articles say is "researchers" did some tests...for all we know the monkeys themselves could have been administering the tests *LOL*

Apart from believing everything you read, I just dont see enough proof in either of these news stories to take this info as a fact.

(as a side note, i do agree that it makes no difference what time of day you eat)

defcon
11-13-2003, 09:44 AM
Of course eating before bed won't make you fat :) Unles you eat loads and loadds of calories and go over maintanice, then u'll get fatter no matter when you eat it :)

PeterParker
11-13-2003, 10:28 AM
but if u eat before you sleep u will store more because u are resting and not active, so you body will stay at bmr.

geoffgarcia
11-13-2003, 10:58 AM
bmr = basal metabolic rate?

PeterParker
11-13-2003, 11:02 AM
yes , sorry about that .

Reinier
11-13-2003, 11:20 AM
Of course a calorie is a calorie in weight loss/gain.

the question is if eating just before bed will mess up your P-factor, the ratio between LBM and fat you gain or lose

Scott S
11-13-2003, 11:52 AM
The alternative would be to go to bed hungry and catabolize muscle, wouldn't it?

I'm all about giving my body a little cottage cheese before bed to have something to work with.

geoffgarcia
11-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Scott S
The alternative would be to go to bed hungry and catabolize muscle, wouldn't it?

I'm all about giving my body a little cottage cheese before bed to have something to work with.
depends on how many calories you've eaten during the day.(I would think?)

which begs the question how many hours does it take for your body to switch from anabolic to catabolic