PDA

View Full Version : Had a good workout last night

benchmonster
11-13-2003, 07:31 AM
and thought I would share with the group. My partner is gearing up for the APF World Championships in a few weeks and last night was his last heavy bench workout before the meet. He did very well, and should hit a pretty significant PR in all 3 lifts if all goes well. Last night he hit a 545 shirted 2 board press, which is far stronger than he has ever been in the past.

I have been in off season mode and am just now starting to hit it hard again with hopes of setting a record in the Oklahoma State APF meet, and hit a PR of my own last night. Shirted 2 board with 585, and plenty left in the tank. Had a notion to go over 600, but we only had my partner to spot and my fiancee to hold the boards, and I did not feel like pushing my luck without side spotters.

I hope to report and possibly have video of 600 to the chest before Christmas.

Anyone else hit any significant PR's lately? If so, post them up.

B.

Paul Stagg
11-13-2003, 07:37 AM
Nice work. Did you make a final call on doing a full meet? I remember you mentioning somehting about hip issues and deadlifting?

Coming back from a long layoff, so I'm still inching closer to PR land.

Wont be long, though.

PowerManDL
11-13-2003, 07:45 AM
Nice work!

I've just started playing with the boards myself. I doubt I'll have anything like 500+ soon, but maybe some low 300's aren't far off.

DEADLIFT4405
11-13-2003, 10:32 AM
I'm on my 2 board workout also.... I can't wait till I finish this routine!

Dedicated
11-13-2003, 02:06 PM
That's awesome. I had a pr on deadlifts the other day, and a recent pr on bench but my lifts are pretty weak overall still.

drew
11-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Outstanding Benchmonster.

I've had PRs in all of my lifts recently. Read below.

I'm still unclear as to what exactly a board press is though.

KingJustin
11-13-2003, 06:05 PM
http://www.musclemonthly.com/articles/001015/001015-tate-westside-powerlifting.htm

That has a good picture/explanation.

Awesome numbers B... and thanks for the board advice. I'm putting on about 10 lbs a week with it.

Chris Rodgers
11-13-2003, 07:29 PM
That's awesome B. Also good to see you used your head instead of losing it. All you need is to pop 600 towards your head and it's all over. It's a pain not having enough spotters on the heavy stuff once boards and shirts come into play.

I myself have increased my best gym lifts in the big three by 100 lbs since my meet(10 weeks) and have one more heavy squat to come(this Saturday). I trained at 158 tonight and I competed at 145 at my last meet. The added weight and extra training in the gear has done wonders. My openers at this meet are all heavier than my best in the last meet and they are going up like nothing. Tonight I hit 315 off a 1-brd in the shirt for a PR and then hit 275x3 to the chest paused for a PR. 2 days ago I pulled 365+ minis doubled over ther bar sumo with straps down. I'm not sure what this adds at the top but it is near 200. My lockout is my weakness on these so this felt good.

benchmonster
11-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Great to hear about all the PR's and Latman, those are some amazing gains, great job there.

I have just about given up on the hopes of lifting in a full meet, at least not this February. The hip, low back and glute issues are making it seem like a pipe dream at this point. I really think I am going to lay off deadlifting, and maybe only squat once every other week for a long time and concentrate on kettlebells and odd lifts for a good long time.

When I did that following my last meet I had some great gains, and did not have pain/injuries in those problem areas. And who knows, if I spend a lot of time swinging those awkward old K-bells around, I might accidentally get strong enough in those areas that I am not hurting myself all the time.

B.

chris mason
11-14-2003, 01:14 PM
That was a good workout!

DanTHEMan
11-15-2003, 05:13 AM
I was wonderin (kinda' off-topic though) ; how thick is a board? (in centimeters)

Chris Rodgers
11-16-2003, 06:31 PM
1.5"

I squatted 575 in full gear yesterday and it was strong as hell!! It was very fast and had no sticking points. If I hit my first two attempts at the meet I'm just gonna call for 600 and give it a ride!

Bodyweight was 158.5!

Adam
11-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Latty is that a record (the 600)
If you can take it on a fourth attempt

And Dan the board's are roughly 3.75 cm's thick

Chris Rodgers
11-17-2003, 03:55 PM
The American record for APF Junior 165 is 540. You can only take a 4th attempt if you are going for a World record. That is over 700.

Adam
11-17-2003, 05:19 PM
Ok, in the CPU you can go for a fourth if its a provincial record if your lifting in your own province.
Ex If the prov. record for bench was 100lbs I could go for a forth of 102.5lbs if I was lifting in Nova Scotia
If i was lifting in ontario I can only go for a fourth on Canadian records.