PDA

View Full Version : After 3 sets of squats, my legs were DEAD!

jww13
11-13-2003, 11:38 PM
Hey guys, I've got a problem. Whenever I work legs, I do squats first of course. But after doing just 3 sets of 5 reps, my legs are DEAD. I mean I work really hard for those reps, going up 5 lbs. a week. Tonight I did 215,205,205, each 5 times.

I had no strength to do leg curls or leg extensions or leg press. I just did calf raises and squats.

So what's my problem? Why is my endurance so low that I can't do several exercises??

Scott S
11-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Maybe you were just working hard. How many sets do you *think* you need to be able to do to work your legs?

MixmasterNash
11-14-2003, 12:07 AM
(1) Make sure you are warming up with progressively increasing weights. If you just jump into your working sets you'll probably get tired SOONER, which may seem counter intuitive at first, but it's true! If you're not doing so already, you should warm up with something like: bar x12, 135x6, 185x3 and then your working sets.

(2) You need to work on endurance just like you work on strength. On alternate weeks I squat for strength/weight and then for endurance/growth.

(3) Squats are supposed to be very tiring! If you're working near your limit, you should be exhausted. Be sure to take longer rest breaks between sets if you want to do more.

(4) For more energy, eat some complex carbs 2-3 hours before you lift. For me, this is the most important factor in my muscular endurance.

Neil
11-14-2003, 12:31 AM
If you are going up 5lbs a week then it looks like you don't need any more. Stick with it for as long as you can keep adding weight.

I usually rest about 15 minutes after intense squats, give that a try, it may help.

Downunder
11-14-2003, 01:21 AM
After squats you should not have the energy to do those other exercises. Sounds like you are doing fine. I wouldn't go to faliure more than once a week though.

Paul Stagg
11-14-2003, 07:40 AM
Increase your work capacity.

drew
11-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Just rest longer between sets. Take a 10 minute break after you squat if you have to. But yeah, squats are supposed to beat you down. It's a mental exercise as much as a physical one. When your head is telling you you're too tired to complete the workout, ignore it. Your body is capable of completing the workout. Your body is capable of completing the workout. Your body is capable of completing the workout.

Dedicated
11-14-2003, 10:21 AM
After 3 sets of 100% intensity you shouldn't be as tired as you are. I mean you can get one hell of a workout with 3 sets, especially with a compound movement like squats, but it should not be to the point where you can't do other stuff. I can do 5 worksets at 100% intensity and be ok. I do 3-5 worksets for squats usually and then do my other stuff.
I would say increase your work capacity and endurance. My work capacity is VERY high I think, maybe because I did construction for many years I would guess?

Your body is capable of completing the workout. Your body is capable of completing the workout. Your body is capable of completing the workout.
That will work too, using the self-fulfilling prophecy:D.

jww13
11-14-2003, 12:10 PM
Well, I could do other exercises, but the weight I'd have to use would be much lower than if I did them before squats. However, I like to do squats first so I can do the most weight on them.

How do I increase my work capacity? Do you mean do less weight and more sets/reps? I don't have this problem with my other muscles, just legs.

Also, will just 3x5 on squats not be enough to do any good? How many sets do you recommend and which exercises? I don't like leg extensions and leg curls as much as compound lifts, but I can't do deads b/c they kill my back :-/

drew
11-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Always do your squats first. Do less weight on the other exercises, just make sure to do them all.

Deads will help your back if you do them properly. :)

Shroud
11-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Always do the big compound movements like squats and deadlifts first in your workout. If done right they will be very taxing on your body. IMHO, its preferable to walkout of the gym exhausted after 3-4 sets of squats done properly than to half-ass them and save yourself so you can do isolation exercises afterwards.

Saint Patrick
11-17-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Shroud
Always do the big compound movements like squats and deadlifts first in your workout. If done right they will be very taxing on your body. IMHO, its preferable to walkout of the gym exhausted after 3-4 sets of squats done properly than to half-ass them and save yourself so you can do isolation exercises afterwards.

:withstupi