PDA

View Full Version : addicted to sugar. what to do.

PHOENIX
11-14-2003, 09:05 PM
i was usually really good at this.
But due to Ramadan (muslim fasting days); now i don't work out regularly. Only doing to maintain the strength, no gain what so ever. But now i have been eating sugar like it's going out of style. First persian sweets that are literally sugar balls, cake and whatever sweet i can get. How do i stop this???
any advise..
I think i just need to stop eating. LOL

geoffgarcia
11-14-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
I think i just need to stop eating.

I think you answered your own question:)

maybe try drinking more water or chewing bubble gum

I think everyone here will agree that self discipline is a journey and not a destination. But its a powerful road to be on that opens many doors.

reloaded
11-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
maybe try drinking more water or chewing bubble gum

good idea. also, you could help yourself by maybe replacing your household sugar as well. use dextrose instead of the regular table sugar. :D

PHOENIX
11-15-2003, 12:36 PM
dextrose? is that like sweetnlow?

defcon
11-15-2003, 02:51 PM
dextrose is what we use in our P/W Shakes..

But listen..

I dunno if you know.. but 4 months ago i developed a problem.. i would eat and eat loads of junkfood.. it started off small.. but evenetually peaked at eating 8000 cals a day of junk food.. the disorer is called "Binge eating disorder". Before i developed this problem i had dieted down from a VERY high bf% and had been following a REALY strick diet.. so anyway, this is what i suggest you do so you don;t fall into the same problem that i suffered with for the past 4 months.

TAKE A WEEK OR 2 off, from everything, from taining, from worrying about your diet. ect ect. just add a lot of variety into your diet and visit these boards as less as possible, reading about diets and eating clean ect only makes things worse. just forget your even a bodybuilder for a week or so.

and you got to be mentally tough enough to say you don't want the sugar, and beable to put it down.. if you can stop yourself in these early stages, then you may be lucky.. but i had the excact same things happen to me when i developed this problem..

best of luck with it..

p.s., im binge free for oever a month :)

Deibiddo
11-15-2003, 09:23 PM
Ihad the same problem Superose Liquid help me kick it, But I can't use the what they say drop wise, 10 drops = 1 tsp but to me it more like 6 drops. used it in everything you can even bake with it. Plus it 0 fat 0 Carb 0 calories Then cut back on it till the need gone. Just an Idea!

Budiak
11-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Replace everything with sugar free crap, and if there is no alternative, say bye bye. The easiest thing to stop doing is drinking full calorie soda. Simple. Get over it. Eat sugar free jello, you wont miss the regular ****.

The hard stuff to stop eating is the cookies, candies, and 'sugar' balls.

raniali
11-16-2003, 07:43 PM
<-- sugarholic

what works for me is
1) not buying kryptonite-like items for starters
2) or if i absolutely MUST have something, i will adjust my calories for the day and/or make sure the portion size is reasonable and not have access to any more

Scott S
11-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Why are you just eating sugar? You are able to eat normal foods from sundown to sunup, can't you?

Try switching to fruits if nothing else.

PHOENIX
11-16-2003, 10:59 PM
hahah. no i am not only eating sugar, but some of the indian and persian sweets are pretty much 100% sugars. It's just i eat one and one more ; before i know it's i have eaten like 10. Which is so bad!! then i am so sick that i can't eat proper food until later.
:-)

9 more days. then back to normal eating pattern.

Shao-LiN
11-17-2003, 01:13 AM
Self control, hehe.

daddyzombie
11-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Ya gotta get yourself to the point when you realize ya just cant eat all that yummy stuff anymore. But have you discovered the wonders of Splenda? MAde with cane sugar, tastes like sugar, measures like sugar, but with 0 calories. I dont use anything else now.

Newby81
11-17-2003, 11:18 PM
arab pastries can be lethal ,,, my mother is lebanese father is italian ,, talk about loads of carbs and fat,,
to be honest though i havent touched a foreign pastry since i moved to the U.S( 4 years ago)
instead i now tend to occasionaly engorge in american sweets,, which really arent as half as tasty
i dont really know what kind of pastry you are eating but if theyre anything like lebanese pastries ( baklava, burhma, znood il sit) a tiny peice of those things add up to 400 calories

owensy
11-18-2003, 03:31 PM
I've been having loads of trouble lately kicking refined-sugary snacks. I'm exploring other ways of snacking instead. Fruit is naturally sweet, and I even read somewhere that apples fill you up a bit - so they are like an appetite suppressant. Berries are low in complex-carbs (strawberries, etc) I think.

You need to think about what all the sugar is doing to your system. Sugary sweets, and drinks are like drugs, and you can get addicted to them as easily as smoking. I think Ramadam is over now, but in the long run - your going to have to face your demons. Sugary things are just going to make you even more wasted, making your body crash after the initial high.

Although nuts and fruit - and lots of water/juice don't seem so great at first, I can promise you that there is nothing I look forward to more than food I know is good for me, and actually tastes good. All the crap in sweets just isn't worth it. Half of it is chemically engineered which the body can do without, especially if your trying to gain.

Good luck bro. Anyone got any snack ideas that help supress the sugar crave?

Relentless
11-18-2003, 03:44 PM
Atkins has some decent chocolate peanut butter cup things called 'Endulge'

not bad as a sweet-tooth substitute but don't eat too many of 'em in one day or the sugar alcohols in 'em will give you the trots.

beyond subbing alternative foods for high-sugar foods, the real answer lies in discipline... if you can't learn to control yourself, you are almost certain to never achieve success in training your body.

owensy
11-18-2003, 04:14 PM
So true. Self discipline is the only way we're going to be decent bodybuilders, or anything in life for that matter. All I need to think about is the end result I want, and that is motivation enough.

PHOENIX
11-27-2003, 12:36 PM
last day.
from tomorrow the sugar count is in effect.
gotta watch it...what i eat and not..

The_Blackstar
11-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Simple solution. F*ck sugar, dont eat it. Its as simple as that.