PDA

View Full Version : slow metabolism?

fatbuff
11-14-2003, 10:24 PM
Im new here and this is my first post. My metabolism is so slow, maybe you all could give me some tips to try and speed it up. I am very overweight and even though i cut my calories to about 1700 a day I still cant seem to shead any fat. I am lost. I dont know what I should do. Anyone????????????????:help: :mad:

snow
11-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Cardio, lift?

Jasonl
11-14-2003, 11:20 PM
calories being too low won't help you either.

The_Blackstar
11-14-2003, 11:30 PM
What is your diet like? Do you drink alot of beer/eat alot of sh*ty food? We need more details.

geoffgarcia
11-15-2003, 12:36 AM
yah, next time your on post some more detail
how old, height, weight, current exercise, how long you've been monitoring your diet, medical conditions, physical conditions, drinking habits, goals, etc.... it all helps

Downunder
11-15-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Jasonl
calories being too low won't help you either.

good point.

fatbuff
11-15-2003, 09:42 AM
I do about 45 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week. I lift weights for 45 minutes 3 times a week also. I do a Back/bi , chest/tri, and a leg day. Whenever I raise my calories I gain weight. I dont understand. I am 25, 5'9", 225and have been trying to lose for about 6 months. My goal is to be about 175 because I am pretty muscular. Oh yeah I dont drink or eat bad really.

Silverback
11-15-2003, 09:47 AM
If your stats and training are as they are stated then i cannot see any logical explanation for you not losing weight other than:

1: Your gaining muscle and losing fat (unlikely)
or

2: underestimating your calorie intake, many dieters make this mistake by not giving a true picture of portions and take in more cals than they think

rpffly
11-15-2003, 10:12 AM
I would also spread your total daily calorie consumption over 6 meals and don't cut calories too fast. You said your calorie intake as of now is 1700. What number was it before you cut to 1700?

geoffgarcia
11-15-2003, 10:26 AM
If your only eating 1700 and exercising as much as you say then its possible your in a catabolic state.

Weightlifting for 45 minutes burns around 300 calories if your doing it with high intensity
The cardio you do burns about 350

SO! on the days your exercising your actual intake is 1250-1300
Which surely puts you in catabolism.

Your going to continue to gain weight as your body eats away protein and muscle and puts on fat until you raise your calories and get into a muscle building (anabolic state)

I say this with confidence because about 2 years ago I was in the same situation as you. Eating the same amount and baffled why I was gaining weight if I upped my calories by a tiny bit, luckily I was light enough wherre one day I started a bulk. Now, I've gone from eating 1700 calories a day and gaining 1-2lbs of weight per week to eating 3500 calories a day and gaining .25lbs per week!!!!

and now if I eat under 3000 calories I just maintain

fatbuff
11-15-2003, 02:53 PM
thanks everyone
I spread my meals out to about 5 a day.
ALso, a pay very close attention to my portions.
Geoff, how did you go about raising calories? All at once or a little at a time? thanks again

geoffgarcia
11-15-2003, 02:57 PM
well I tracked my intake for about 2-3 months when it was between 1500-1900
calories, then one day the seasons changed to winter and I felt like bulking so I just jumped up. Its hard to eat 3500 calories *LOL* so for me it was a gradual change that took maybe 2-3 weeks till I figured out what/where/when/how I could get all that food into me without eating junk

bradley
11-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
If your only eating 1700 and exercising as much as you say then its possible your in a catabolic state.

If you are creating a calorie deficit, then you are in a catabolic state.

Weightlifting for 45 minutes burns around 300 calories if your doing it with high intensity
The cardio you do burns about 350

How did you determine these numbers?

Your going to continue to gain weight as your body eats away protein and muscle and puts on fat until you raise your calories and get into a muscle building (anabolic state)

You are not going to simultaneously catabolize LBM while adding bf.

I say this with confidence because about 2 years ago I was in the same situation as you. Eating the same amount and baffled why I was gaining weight if I upped my calories by a tiny bit, luckily I was light enough wherre one day I started a bulk. Now, I've gone from eating 1700 calories a day and gaining 1-2lbs of weight per week to eating 3500 calories a day and gaining .25lbs per week!!!!

and now if I eat under 3000 calories I just maintain

This would be due to a decreased metabolism, which could be attributed in part to your low calorie intake.

fatbuff
11-15-2003, 07:35 PM
hey bradley, whats your take on my situation?
thanks ahead of time

bradley
11-16-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by fatbuff
hey bradley, whats your take on my situation?
thanks ahead of time

I think your overall calories are too low, and your metabolism has slowed down in response to the low calorie intake.

I would recommend slowly increasing your calories over the next couple of weeks. Try increasing calories in increments of 200 each week until you are eating ~2200 calories per day. This should help increase your metabolism and jumpstart weight loss.

Make sure your diet is in check (protein and EFAs), along with sufficient calories.

Shao-LiN
11-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Post your diet. I agree that your calories are way too low for someone of your weight. The goal is to pull the fat off slowly, while preserving LBM.

fatbuff
11-16-2003, 03:12 PM
7:00- cornflakes with ff milk---170 cals
9:30- Protein shake---200 cals
12:00- Lean Cuisine meal---300 cals
3:00- 2 apples---150 cals
5:30-- usually about 800 calorie meal
8:00--serving of peanuts---160 cals
total cals----------------- 1 7 8 0

geoffgarcia
11-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by bradley

How did you determine these numbers?

they are the numbers generated by the diet tracking software I use. I figure they are a rough ballpark number +/- 10%

You are not going to simultaneously catabolize LBM while adding bf.

why not?

This would be due to a decreased metabolism, which could be attributed in part to your low calorie intake.
so metabolism slows that much when ur in a calorie defecit? what would be the other part?

bradley
11-17-2003, 02:29 AM
why not?

If you think about it you lose LBM when you put your body in a state in which it does not have an adequate amount of nutrients, so it will get these nutrients from body stores (fat, muscle tissue, etc.). If it is pulling energy out of adipose tissue then how are you going to increase the amount of adipose tissue? Remember you are burning more cals than you are taking in, calorie deficit.

I am sure there are special situations in which one might be able to catabolize LBM while adding bf, i.e. low protein diet. Although I do not think most people following a bodybuilding diet will have to worry about this.

so metabolism slows that much when ur in a calorie defecit? what would be the other part?

Other part? Could you please be more specific.

they are the numbers generated by the diet tracking software I use. I figure they are a rough ballpark number +/- 10%

I doubt these are very accurate, since there can be a host of different factors that determine how many cals are burned when exercising (intensity, duration, exercises performed, metabolism, bf, etc.). I also find that there is really no need to worry about how many cals you burn when exercising, and tracking weekly trends is much more effecient that worrying about day to day calories consumed and calories burned.

fatbuff
11-17-2003, 04:16 PM
So what you are saying Bradley is that i would be better off keeping track of my calorie intake weekly instead of daily?

What if I just eat about 3000 cals a day and lift, would my metabolism eventually increase and how long do you think it would take?

Thanks

bradley
11-17-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by fatbuff
So what you are saying Bradley is that i would be better off keeping track of my calorie intake weekly instead of daily?

I think you should set your daily calories at a specific amount, and then hold calories at this level for the duration of the week. At the end of the week you can make adjustments. Basically what I am getting at is that you should make adjustments based on weekly trends, and not focus so much on what happens on a day to day basis (don't weigh yourself everday).

Once you get to a lower level of bf (~15%), I think it would be wise to follow some sort of cyclical approach, but no need to be concerned about that now.

What if I just eat about 3000 cals a day and lift, would my metabolism eventually increase and how long do you think it would take?

I recommend gradually increasing your calorie intake over the course of several weeks, instead of shocking your body with one large increase. Your metabolism will increase, but at what rate would be a guess.

7:00- cornflakes with ff milk---170 cals
9:30- Protein shake---200 cals
12:00- Lean Cuisine meal---300 cals
3:00- 2 apples---150 cals
5:30-- usually about 800 calorie meal
8:00--serving of peanuts---160 cals
total cals----------------- 1 7 8 0

I would also make sure that you are taking in ~1g of protein per lb. of bw and taking in ~25% of your daily calories from fat. You need to make sure that you are getting adequate amounts of EFAs in your diet, more specifically omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s can be found in foods such as oily fish (salmon), fish oil supplements, flaxseeds/flaxseed oil, and walnuts to name a few.

Basically try and get a small amount of protein, fat, and carbs in each meal. Stick to lean protein sources, low GI carbs, and healthy fats.

geoffgarcia
11-18-2003, 04:01 PM

If you think about it you lose LBM when you put your body in a state in which it does not have an adequate amount of nutrients, so it will get these nutrients from body stores (fat, muscle tissue, etc.)
I was under the impression that in catabolism the body went for muscle and avoided burning fat?

I was curious what else would contribute to a decreased metabolism besides low calorie intake? I didn't even know that metabolism slowed on a low cal intake!

I doubt these are very accurate, since there can be a host of different factors that determine how many cals are burned when exercising (intensity, duration, exercises performed, metabolism, bf, etc.). I also find that there is really no need to worry about how many cals you burn when exercising, and tracking weekly trends is much more effecient that worrying about day to day calories consumed and calories burned.
The software takes my age/height/weight/heart rate/bodyfat and approximate watts used during the session to determine the numbers. So I still think its probably within 10 +/- although for another person with a different body composition it could be 15+/- I suppose...at any rate, its helpful to me to determine how many more/less calories to consume on workout/rest days.

bradley
11-18-2003, 04:30 PM

I was under the impression that in catabolism the body went for muscle and avoided burning fat?

Catabolism is the breaking down of tissue, where as anabolism would be the opposite. This does not necessarily refer to muscle tissue specifically, i.e. you can catabolize adipose tissue.

I was curious what else would contribute to a decreased metabolism besides low calorie intake? I didn't even know that metabolism slowed on a low cal intake!

A low calorie intake would be the main factor, as well as decreased leptin levels which would be due to decreasing bodyfat levels.

The software takes my age/height/weight/heart rate/bodyfat and approximate watts used during the session to determine the numbers. So I still think its probably within 10 +/- although for another person with a different body composition it could be 15+/- I suppose...at any rate, its helpful to me to determine how many more/less calories to consume on workout/rest days.

I still see no benefit in trying to determine how many cals you burn per day, and instead I recommend tracking weekly trends along with your average daily calorie intake.