PDA

View Full Version : Little brother and eating disorder problems

Grahf
11-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Hey, my lil bro had a eating disorder at around 13. I helped him out and hes over that now, he is 15 currently. I was wondering if people like him who didn't eat so much when they were youner, could himself and people like him stunt their growth? He is worried about it, but I just tell him that he may have stopped or slowed down his growht but he will eventually grow since he is eating proper again.

Silverback
11-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Well growth varies from person-to-person, in your brothers case i would suggest that a stunted growth will not be the case.

It also depends on genetics, what is the average size of your other family members? and how tall is your bro now?

In my case im 20yrs and am still growing, but i have friends who stopped growing at 16-17. So long as your bro is eating well now he should be fine, he hasnt developed diabetes has he? I know a girl who had annorexia nervosa and damaged her pancreas so badly that it packed up and stopped.

B-R

Grahf
11-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Well, my grandparents and uncles are all pretty tall. My dad is a little short and my mom is still pretty tall for a woman. I guess my bro didnt really have an eating disorder. He just wanted to get a six pack really bad and ate like special k for breakfast, an apple a piece of bread for lunch with yogurt, and ate a pretty normal supper, but between breakfast and lunch he usually went out and exersized for like an hour or more (running etc). He also never ate anything with fat in it.

Budiak
11-16-2003, 04:56 PM
I stopped growing at 5'4" when I was like 15 years old. All other men related to me by blood are over six feet. I never had a single problem with nutrition, always took vitamins, etc.

I think it takes pretty drastic malnutrition to stunt growth, and the growth stunt would be very apparent. His joints would be messed up, his skin would be bad, things like that.