PDA

View Full Version : A HIIT Cardio question

Bravo
11-17-2003, 08:53 AM
I asked this on another forum, but would like to hear the opinions over here. PowermanDL ?

In a three day a week split m-w-f, when and how many times a week could/should hiit be implemented? Is it possible to do it twice a week avoiding the day in which you workout legs? For example (roughly) :

mon - hiit a.m.
chest/tri's p.m.
tue - rest
wed - legs /shoulders p.m.
thu - 20 min. steady rate cardio a.m.
fri - back/bi's
sat - hiit a.m.
sun - rest

considering I'm very sedentary during the day (desk job), and in my mid 20's, I don't think that hiit in the am and a workout that evening should lead me to overtraining. comments??

Bravo
11-17-2003, 10:08 AM
11 views and no replies ??

tubstain1
11-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Your workout split may be too rough, with not enough recovery time. You might lose efficiency in your workout. Try a 5 day workout with 2 days of HIIT cardio 16-20 mins.

Mon - Arms (Bi/tri) & Abs
Tues - Chest & lats & HIIT cardio
Wednesday - Shoulders & traps
Thursday - Back & Abs & HIIT cardio
Friday - Legs
Sat, Sun - Rest

I'm 23 and have a sedentary desk job as well. I think as long as you are mainting your nutrition levels throughout the day, your should be pumped up enough at the end of the day to hit the gym again, even though you did cardio in the morning.

I do my HIIT right after my weight training and go home and eat, since I dont have time in the mornings.

IronDaddy
11-17-2003, 12:30 PM
It all depends on what your goals are and you need to specifiy that to get a useful answer for your situation. Are you trying to cut? How many calories are you getting? What kind of diet are you doing?

BTW: 11 posts and no replies means that those 11 people probably didn't know enough about HIIT to reply. Be thankful they have good enough judgment to not reply when they have no expertise/ experience in that area.:)

Shao-LiN
11-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by tubstain1
Your workout split may be too rough, with not enough recovery time. You might lose efficiency in your workout. Try a 5 day workout with 2 days of HIIT cardio 16-20 mins.

Mon - Arms (Bi/tri) & Abs
Tues - Chest & lats & HIIT cardio
Wednesday - Shoulders & traps
Thursday - Back & Abs & HIIT cardio
Friday - Legs
Sat, Sun - Rest

I'm 23 and have a sedentary desk job as well. I think as long as you are mainting your nutrition levels throughout the day, your should be pumped up enough at the end of the day to hit the gym again, even though you did cardio in the morning.

I do my HIIT right after my weight training and go home and eat, since I dont have time in the mornings.

I don't really see anything wrong with what he had. He's doing a push/pull/legs split with cardio on off days...looks fine. Of course, if you're bulking, you could stand to cut down on the cardio.

Bravo
11-18-2003, 01:03 AM
Irondaddy, good point. Shao-lin, I'm in a cutting phase right now that I started yesterday, hence the upped cardio. I just came off a 5x5 split I did during two months of bulking. In the begining of october I started to cut, but being the newbie that I am, I went about it all wrong and started to loose muscle. I immediately went back to bulking. Now I want to trim up a bit. I started reading around the internet about hiit, but never found an answer as to how much is too much. Thanks guys for your opinions. anyone else have a comment?

Shao-LiN
11-18-2003, 02:40 AM
2-3 times a week should be enough.

mstar
11-18-2003, 04:22 AM
i have a similar question is there any point doing HIIT then doing my ab workout? or should i seperate these as i will see more benefit doing cardio one day and abs another off day?

IronDaddy
11-18-2003, 12:14 PM
I'd do abs then cardio. If you treat them like another bodypart it gives you a good warmup for cardio. That's just what works for me.

geoffgarcia
11-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by IronDaddy
If you treat them like another bodypart it gives you a good warmup for cardio. That's just what works for me.
do you do cardio after you workout all your other body parts?
if so please explain why.
Thanks,
Geoff