PDA

View Full Version : Eating for a week on a very low budget

JustinASU
11-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Money is starting to become scarce. I'm very poor and its getting down to graduation. I have to survive until this time next week on $45 for groceries.....problem is groceries where I live are slightly more expensive then in the average grocery store due to the fact that I live well out of civilization's reach (Boone,NC). I'm getting low on protein powder but I dont think I could afford another jug of that along with groceries. Suggestions on how to manage this?

fornero
11-18-2003, 04:30 PM
dried/powedered skim milk can serve as a protein powder in a pinch, as could dried egg whites (tho those are a little more expensive-- about $6/~57 egg whites at my store). Canned chunk light tuna is cheap, as are dried beans (big bag of 'em is about $1)

Fresh vegetables can be somewhat expensive depending on time of year/taste, but you can usually find cans of green beans and the like for something like $0.50/can

Oatmeal is dirt cheap, couple dozen eggs shouldn't be more than a few dollars, and milk is usually fairly inexpensive.

-Matt

trwebb26
11-18-2003, 05:04 PM
your list:
A box of cereal or oatmeal
A bunch of Tuna (like a buck a can where I live)
Pasta (dirt cheap)
Loaf of Bread
Peanut Butter
Chicken (try to get it for 1.99 a pound)
A Gallon of milk
a crapload of eggs (they are dirt cheap)
a bag of apples (they are cheap this time of year)
canned veggies or frozen bag veggies
rice - boil a bag.

If you are in college - I highly reccomend going to different companies informational meetings (if they do that where you go to school). They last like 2 hours, but they almost always have pizza (and they always have leftovers to take with you). I know this isn't the best food, but I had MANY a free pizza from places I had no intention of working at.

BigMatt
11-18-2003, 08:36 PM
lol

AndresC
11-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Go to Costco if you have one in your area.

manowar669
11-19-2003, 08:29 PM
We used to poach animals in college. We were all bowhunters and had silent artillery. I still bowhunt (legally). Thor (even his mom called him that, real name Dave) even took a lamb with a broadsword one night, took its head clean off, butchered him in the kitchen. Local papers thought it was a Satanic cult,... nope, just hungry weightlifters. Illegal as hell though, don't get caught if you do this (I'm not reccomending it, we were young, stupid and hungry).

Scott S
11-19-2003, 09:11 PM
LOL... awesome!

thetopdog
11-19-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by manowar669
We used to poach animals in college. We were all bowhunters and had silent artillery. I still bowhunt (legally). Thor (even his mom called him that, real name Dave) even took a lamb with a broadsword one night, took its head clean off, butchered him in the kitchen. Local papers thought it was a Satanic cult,... nope, just hungry weightlifters. Illegal as hell though, don't get caught if you do this (I'm not reccomending it, we were young, stupid and hungry).

:D
Now THAT is hardcore

defcon
11-20-2003, 05:15 AM
rofl @ that story thing :P crazy..

anyway.. i live off 40 bucks a week for food, tuna + eggs + oatmeal will be your staples :P anything else would be considered a gift from above :D

TheGimp
11-20-2003, 05:41 AM
Well played manowar :thumbup:

Y2A
11-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Use a credit card and pay it back when you start work. If thats not an option, buy a bunch of eggs, 840 cals and 72g protein for a buck!

AllUp
11-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by manowar669

Rofl. Dave=L33T_H34D_H4XX0R 0FF3R
Translation: Dave Has Uber Sheep-Head Cleaving Skills.

LOL I heard something like that from a Nam Vet. He said to this day he has a guilt trip because he was shining a light at some canadian geese and his Nam buddy put an arrow thru the thing and pinned it to the ground. Funny thing is he freaks out when theres geese around and is always checking his 6 for them. :o

-TIM-
11-20-2003, 10:57 AM
"...took a lamb with a broadsword one night..."

I just wet myself :eek: