PDA

View Full Version : It will be funny to see what you guys say of this article

Beast
11-18-2003, 06:13 PM
I thought this article was funny, because the one-word piece of advice most people give on this site is "squat." What do you think of this article?

http://www.flexonline.com/train/6?page=1

Max-Mex
11-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Ok I have issue with the bench part for now:

He says that bench pressing is hard on the shoulders and also can cause pec tears. 1 paragraph later he says it's better to do inclines BB presses. WTF? Ok lets go from one exercise that puts stress on the shoulders to one that puts more stress on the shoulders. BAH!

HahnB
11-18-2003, 06:30 PM
I agree with things such as the bench press not being the best pec building exersise, and I do like curling with a ez bar much better than a straight barbell.

As for the rest of it , I guess it kind of contradicts the intro to the article. He says, do what works for "you"- then he goes on to describe a list of exersises that "everyone" should not do.

Max-Mex
11-18-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by HahnB
As for the rest of it , I guess it kind of contradicts the intro to the article. He says, do what works for "you"- then he goes on to describe a list of exersises that "everyone" should not do.

That pretty much sums it up. Do what works for you. Just because he does hack squats doesn't mean that everyone should. Everyone is different.

Shane
11-18-2003, 06:35 PM
He mixes some good things to consider with some retarded advice (as Max-Mex pointed out). But either way, I can't, in good conscience, take advice from a man that wears blue tights.

Leviathan
11-18-2003, 07:45 PM
He is essentially saying that people should avoid these exercises because they are the most likely to be performed with poor form. If you are able to perform these exercises with strict form you have nothing to worry about.

I tend to agree that squats and deadlifts are the most dangerous bodybuilding exercises (aside from power exercises), and are often not worth the risk. The problem is, at least for deadlifts, there is no real substitute that is as effective at building muscle. Good mornings are more dangerous than deadlifts and both good mornings and hyperextensions don't allow you to handle as much weight as you could with deadlifts.

PowerManDL
11-18-2003, 07:52 PM
If you're worried about getting hurt, weight training isn't for you.

WestyHeadbanger
11-18-2003, 11:47 PM
"it's all because of that devil's tool - the straight bar"

Of course it is. Of course it is. shhh now everything will be alright....the straight bar can't hurt you anymore, this is a nice place with the best psychiatrists in the whole land, just take this and relax.

GonePostal
11-19-2003, 12:05 AM
I don't know but personally I believe that this article his advice is more aimed towards more "highly" developed Bodybuilders. He seems to care less about strength or what not. Decent advice taken with a grain of salt.

WestyHeadbanger
11-19-2003, 03:09 AM
Whatever.

Rock
11-19-2003, 06:14 AM
the best exercise to build your pecs is genetics!!!, woha, that didnt make any sense.

decent advice taken with a grain of deca.

Relentless
11-19-2003, 09:12 AM
the guy is talking about what works for HIM and what he has learned from experience

there's definitely a lot of powerlifting fans on this site, so yeah there's a bias towards squats and deads, but the dude is right: you don't have to do squats, deads or bench to grow muscles.

Scott S
11-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Injuries => fewer Flex subscribers?

drew
11-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Sounds like he had a really bad lower back injury (perhaps from going heavier than he should have or using bad form) and is giving a listing of exercises that take the lower back out of the equation.

I squat because I like to. When it stops working or I stop liking it, I'll stop doing them.

chris mason
11-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Now guys, don't blame the magazine for a writer's ideas, Flex doesn't say that squats are bad as a rule.

Now, Bob's bad advice is the same bad advice Vince Gironda used to give 30 years ago. In fact, Vince did not allow standard back squats in his gym!

For some people, squats will do what Bob says, but for the vast majority they are a great exercise.

The thing that he doesn't mention is that his development is certainly enhanced by steroid and other anabolic agent use. In other words, someone with the right heredity can take drugs as he does and respond to almost any kind of hard work or exercise.

Any form of progressive resistance will stimulate the muscles to grow. Some exercises which involve multilpe muscle groups work more efficiently towards that end. The push for the "big" exercises is due to that fact.

Neil
11-19-2003, 12:52 PM
It should aslo be mentioned that Bob probably didn't write that.

Scott S
11-19-2003, 09:39 PM
Good points.

What the hell is a "one-arm kettledrum press" anyway? :p

Maccer101
11-28-2003, 07:12 AM
I disagree with Bob. If heavy squats reck your back why aren't all the powerifters in wheelchairs. He blames squats for his back surgury, I blame his bad form!

If these magazines only printed information about useful excercises they wouldn't have enough material to do a monthly issue. There just full of bollocks articles about how to do a million sets of one arm cable pressdowns for big arms.

The thing that angers me is that some poor schmuck will believe this and it will mess up his training, I bet if you turn the page theres probably an article about how good squats and deadlifts are, then maybe an unbiased journal account of how all the pros made all their gains from drinkng a couple of protein shakes that contain a special ingredient (lipoic acid or something else) that your body has no trouble making anyway.

I have potty mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Black_Curtain
11-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Bob chick is a very knowledgable guy. On other forums he answers guys honest and smart answers. I'd say the advanced trainees pretty much agree with him on all issues...

It obviously works damn well for him.

trwebb26
11-28-2003, 09:24 AM
Bench Presses:
http://www.schwarzenegger.it/mg338.jpg
Squats:
http://digilander.libero.it/mrolympia3/xmg73.jpg
Deadlifts:
http://digilander.libero.it/mrolympia3/xmg40.jpg

Need I say more??? I'm sticking with them.

Reinier
11-28-2003, 10:35 AM
The PL exercise I dig least is Barbell bench, I really prefer DB, also because you dont need a spotter.

chris mason
11-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Black_Curtain
Bob chick is a very knowledgable guy. On other forums he answers guys honest and smart answers. I'd say the advanced trainees pretty much agree with him on all issues...

It obviously works damn well for him.

You mean guys like Tom Prince who are 296 at 8% and all natural...

PowerManDL
11-28-2003, 02:41 PM
HIIIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!