PDA

View Full Version : Want to bulk

Stabber
11-19-2003, 01:25 AM
Ok, so I overdid my cut and I'm scronny now. (165lbs). i want to get to 180lbs by this coming summer. How should I do it? What should I increase? More fat? More carbs? When I was 185lbs, I looked great (but my face was a little chubby). Would like to get the same mass again because I'm going to shave my head when summer comes. (going bald, dont have a choice :D)
I'm guessing weight gainer shakes are a no no??
Thanks guys

Saint Patrick
11-19-2003, 01:39 AM
You can easily get up to 180 by summer. Hell, even spring.

I don't know what your diet looks like now, but I'd say increase carbs and protein. Increase cals slowly though so your metbolism adjusts. Take before & after pics. Good luck w/ the bulk.

Stabber
11-19-2003, 01:49 AM
hmm so keep fat intake low? That brings me to my next question. Does increased fat intake actually increase test? Oh believe me I have before pictures. Look malnourished

Nintendo owns u :D
Remember Narc?

defcon
11-19-2003, 04:51 AM
get about 1g protein per lb of bodyweight, about 25% of your cals from fats, mostly EFA like nuts, fish oils, olive oil, etc. and fill the rest in with carbs, low gi through the day, high gi post workout.

up your calories a 100 or so each week until your gaining 0.5 or so lbs a week to limit the fat gain..

bradley
11-19-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Stabber
Does increased fat intake actually increase test?

I do not think increase would be the ideal way to describe fat intake and it's effects on hormones. Maybe a better description would be to make sure that hormone levels remain at their optimum level, or rather prevent them from decreasing.
==========

Am J Clin Nutr. 1996 Dec;64(6):850-5.

Effects of dietary fat and fiber on plasma and urine androgens and estrogens in men: a controlled feeding study.

Dorgan JF, Judd JT, Longcope C, Brown C, Schatzkin A, Clevidence BA, Campbell WS, Nair PP, Franz C, Kahle L, Taylor PR.

Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892-7326, USA. dorganj@dcpcepn.nci.nih.gov

We conducted a controlled feeding study to evaluate the effects of fat and fiber consumption on plasma and urine sex hormones in men. The study had a crossover design and included 43 healthy men aged 19-56 y. Men were initially randomly assigned to either a low-fat, high-fiber or high-fat, low-fiber diet for 10 wk and after a 2-wk washout period crossed over to the other diet. The energy content of diets was varied to maintain constant body weight but averaged approximately 13.3 MJ (3170 kcal)/d on both diets. The low-fat diet provided 18.8% of energy from fat with a ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fat (P:S) of 1.3, whereas the high-fat diet provided 41.0% of energy from fat with a P:S of 0.6. Total dietary fiber consumption from the low- and high-fat diets averaged 4.6 and 2.0 g.MJ-1.d-1, respectively. Mean plasma concentrations of total and sex-hormone-binding-globulin (SHBG)-bound testosterone were 13% and 15% higher, respectively, on the high-fat, low-fiber diet and the difference from the low-fat, high-fiber diet was significant for the SHBG-bound fraction (P = 0.04). Men's daily urinary excretion of testosterone also was 13% higher with the high-fat, low-fiber diet than with the low-fat, high-fiber diet (P = 0.01). Conversely, their urinary excretion of estradiol and estrone and their 2-hydroxy metabolites were 12-28% lower with the high-fat, low-fiber diet (P < or = 0.01). Results of this study suggest that diet may alter endogenous sex hormone metabolism in men.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 8942407
===============
J Steroid Biochem. 1984 Jan;20(1):459-64.

Diet and serum sex hormones in healthy men.

Hamalainen E, Adlercreutz H, Puska P, Pietinen P.

The possible effect of dietary fat content and the ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fatty acids (P/S-ratio) on serum sex hormones was studied in 30 healthy male volunteers. The customary diet of the subjects, which supplied 40% of energy as fat (mainly from animal sources, P/S-ratio 0.15) was replaced for a 6 weeks period by a practically isocaloric experimental diet containing significantly less fat (25% of energy) with a higher P/S-ratio (1.22) and other environmental factors were stabilized. Serum testosterone and 4-androstenedione decreased from 22.7 +/- 1.1 nmol/l to 19.3 +/- 1.2 nmol/l, (SEM, P less than 0.001) and from 4.6 +/- 0.2 nmol/l to 4.3 +/- 0.2 nmol/l (SEM, P less than 0.01), respectively. These changes were paralleled by a reduction in serum free (non-protein bound) testosterone (P less than 0.01) suggesting a possible change in biological activity. During the low fat period a significant negative correlation between serum prolactin and androgens was observed. All the changes in androgen levels were reversible. With the exception of a small but non-significant decrease in serum estradiol-17 beta, the other hormone parameters were practically unaffected by the dietary manipulation. Our results indicate that in men a decrease in dietary fat content and an increase in the degree of unsaturation of fatty acids reduces the serum concentrations of androstenedione, testosterone and free testosterone. The mechanism and importance of this phenomenon is discussed in the light of epidemiological and experimental data.

PMID: 6538617

JohnDoe
11-19-2003, 08:45 AM
Bump on what defcon said.