PDA

View Full Version : Study i found interesting.

defcon
11-20-2003, 06:13 AM
hey, this is a study i seen postyed up @ avant.. thought it would be interesting to some people, i especially liked it since as many of you know, i have recently gotton over my binge eating disorder, almost 2 months binge free baby!! :) well here is the study

------------------------------------

Sibutramine Effective, Well-Tolerated in Binge Eating Disorder

Laurie Barclay, MD

Nov. 10, 2003 Sibutramine is effective and well tolerated in the treatment of obese patients with binge eating disorder (BED), according to the results of a preliminary trial published in the November issue of the Archives of General Psychiatry.

"We found sibutramine to be effective in reducing binge eating, body weight, and associated depressive symptoms in this short-term study in obese patients with BED," write Jose C. Appolinario, MD, DSc, from Federal University of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, and colleagues. "These preliminary findings suggest that sibutramine is a promising agent to be used in obese patients with BED and need to be further replicated."

Sibutramine is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for treating obesity, and results from a previous small trial of patients with BED suggested that it was safe and effective for this indication. BED is frequently diagnosed in patients seeking treatment for obesity, and patients with BED are also at increased risk for depression.

In this randomized trial, 60 obese patients meeting Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, criteria for BED received either 15 mg per day of sibutramine hydrochloride or placebo (n=30) for 12 weeks. At baseline, body mass index (BMI) was 30 to 45 kg/m2.

After 12 weeks of treatment, the sibutramine group had a decrease in the number of binge days in the previous week from about four binge days to two binge days (P = .03). Average weight change was 7.4 kg loss in the sibutramine group and 1.4 kg gain in the placebo group (P < .01). Compared with the placebo group, the sibutramine group also had a greater rate of reduction in the Binge Eating Scale and Beck Depression Inventory (P < .001 for both).

Adverse reactions of dry mouth (P = .01) and constipation (P < .001) were more common with sibutramine than with placebo.

Study limitations include exclusion criteria that may limit generalizability, limited accuracy of the recall method used, imprecision in counting binge days, and relatively short duration of treatment.

"It would be advisable to observe what happens with weight and behavioral outcomes in a much longer period and after discontinuation of medication therapy," the authors write.

Abbott supported this study. The authors report various financial arrangements with Abbott and/or other pharmaceutical companies.

Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003;60:1109-1116
-------------------------------------------

Now, my question is... would this substance be on any benefit for those people that are below their bf% setpoint and trying to cut ( me ).

bradley
11-20-2003, 07:25 AM
Doubtful, since leptin will still be low, and another thing to keep in mind is that the article is in reference to obese individuals, who have high leptin levels.

defcon
11-20-2003, 05:57 PM
bleh. I hate my setpoint :P

Update On My status: I had a CRAZY CRAZT urge to binge today.. first one of those ive had in well over a month.. last time i binged on oatmeal and cottage cheese.. this time i had 2 mars bars and stoped myself :P

:swear: those things are gonna be the fat of me.