PDA

View Full Version : keto questions...atkins vs. traditional

golfbobbyhill
11-20-2003, 08:37 AM
All -

I've got a few quick questions on Keto and specifically the differences between Keto and the
"Atkins-style" approach (which I suppose Atkins is essentiall just a keto diet anyway).

- Atkins has the 2 week "induction" phase where your carbs are extremely low (20g or less) and the
diet is essentially "stricter." For example, during Atkins induction I couldn't enjoy a single serving of
the new Breyers Low Carb ice cream (which is great, BTW). From my research on straight Keto, I
don't see anything about being stricter during different phases, and as long as the carb count is kept
low it doesn't matter where it comes from.

- Atkins doesn't mention anything about sugar alcohols effecting some folks as a carb would, yet I've
read a lot about around here. How do the Atkins folks lose all that weight while living off his
bars/etc that are full of sugar alcohols?

- same for citric acid (in diet soda, etc).

- why does Atkins say to stay completely clear of caffiene?

Shao-LiN
11-20-2003, 09:13 AM
They can still lose weight because they're essentially still eating under maintenance. The calories still work out to be low enough to lose weight whether or not it's a sugar alcohol or a simple carb.

You stay away from caffeine because a certain amount of it will kick you out of ketosis.

Anyway, if you're considering a ketogenic diet and you are lifting, go with either a CKD or TKD. Atkins isn't geared for weight lifters.

harryhoudini66
11-22-2003, 08:59 PM
CKD is great. I have not lost much size in muscle, but have dropped about 38 pounds.

Shroud
11-23-2003, 01:15 AM
From personal experience I would count the sugar alcohols honestly. When trying to do/stay in ketosis, things would always have a tendency to **** up when I would start ingesting too many poly-ols too regularly and be telling myself I was keeping my carbs to a minimum.

golfbobbyhill
11-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
They can still lose weight because they're essentially still eating under maintenance. The calories still work out to be low enough to lose weight whether or not it's a sugar alcohol or a simple carb.

You stay away from caffeine because a certain amount of it will kick you out of ketosis.

Anyway, if you're considering a ketogenic diet and you are lifting, go with either a CKD or TKD. Atkins isn't geared for weight lifters.

In that case, would it be recommended NOT to take an ECA during Keto?

bradley
11-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by golfbobbyhill

In that case, would it be recommended NOT to take an ECA during Keto?

Ketosis does not cause weight loss, and caffeine is not likely to kick you out of ketosis.

Caffeine would be beneficial when following a hypocaloric diet.