PDA

View Full Version : do you eat large game fish like tuna?

geoffgarcia
11-21-2003, 09:59 AM
I know a lot of you disregard my constant warnings against the consumption of tuna and other large predatory fish, so I figured I'd throw up an article or two on the joy of mercury poisoning...

Excessive mercury levels in quarter of Hong Kong babies

Organic mercury in fish causes severe concern all over the world. Only last week the UK Food Standards Agency advised pregnant women, and even women who intend to become pregnant, to cut swordfish, shark and marlin from their diet and to reduce their consumption of tuna to no more than two medium-sized tins or one tuna steak a week.

A quarter of infants in a Hong Kong study have been found to have excessive mercury in their blood, which can cause mental retardation, and doctors have warned expectant mothers against eating too much fish.

Mercury in fish is in the form of methylmercury which is readily absorbed into the blood after ingestion and distributed to all tissues of the body, in particular into the brain cells, in four days. In pregnant women, it readily crosses the placenta into the fetal circulation system and is deposited in the fetal brain.

In a study of 1,057 infants over a two-year period in Hong Kong, researchers found how much fish mothers consumed directly affected the amount of blood mercury found in their babies. As many as 25% of the infants in the study were found to have cord blood mercury concentrations of over 61 nmol/litre, the upper allowable limit. Three percent had blood mercury concentrations of over 100 nmol/L.

"Eating too much fish by the mother during pregnancy is the major factor in elevating the blood mercury level of the feotus," said Professor Fok Tai-fai at the Chinese University. Lam Wei-kei, a chemical pathology professor who also participated in the study, said: "The major source of human mercury intake is dietary methylmercury present primarily in fish and other seafood."

In adults, mercury poisoning causes personality changes, nervousness, irritability, fatigue, insomnia, headache, loss of memory, hearing and vision and even renal failure. In babies, it may lead to stillbirth, cerebral palsy, mental retardation, speech delay, poor control of chewing, salivation and swallowing. Curiously, however, fish commonly caught and heavily consumed in Hong Kong were not found to have excessive levels of mercury, the researchers said. "It isn't the case that our fish are particularly bad, it's because we are eating too much fish," Fok said in an interview wih reuters health.

http://www.1stvitality.co.uk/az/fatty_acids/280203_mercury_babies.htm

geoffgarcia
11-21-2003, 10:00 AM
...some states advise that the albacore "white" canned tuna has much higher mercury levels than the "light" canned tuna. Recent testing by the Mercury Policy Project found that the "white" tuna has mercury levels four times higher than the "light" canned tuna.

http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/printer_1374.shtml

geoffgarcia
11-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Light tuna comes from smaller fish, which don't accumulate as much mercury as the larger fish.
http://www.meepi.org/files/000908fish.shtml

geoffgarcia
11-21-2003, 10:18 AM
How much tuna can you eat?

Step 1 - DETERMINE EPA's RECOMMENDED LEVEL FOR YOUR BODYWEIGHT
Multiply body weight by EPA's reference dose.
1) Convert pounds to kilograms
example 180lbs = 82 kilograms
2) calculate micrograms per kilogram
82 kilograms x .1 = micrograms per kilogram per day

EPA RECOMMENDED LEVEL = 2.05 micrograms per day = 14.35 micrograms per week.

Step 2 - HOW MUCH MERCURY IS IN 6 OUNCES OF CHUNK WHITE TUNA?
Multiply amount of fish by average mercury level for chunk white albacore.
Convert 6 ounces to grams = 170 grams X .31 ppm (or micrograms per gram)**

MERCURY INGESTED = 52.7 micrograms per 6oz canned tuna

Step 3 COMPARE MERCURY INGESTED WITH EPA'S RECOMMENDED LEVEL for your body weight

Divide 52.7 micrograms by 82 micrograms = .64 times the recommended level

shoot, I lost the link that showed this formula...it was one of Bill Moyers Now/Today links, search google if ya really want it

AndresC
11-21-2003, 07:11 PM
HOLLY F'N crap. It's like you were talking directly to me.

I SWARE on my life that right now as I am reading this I am about 3/4 done eating 2 cans of albacore w/ green tobasco sause.

defcon
11-22-2003, 05:10 AM
because tuna = cheap = all protein, bleh, it sucks that it has this merc. issue.

Who cares, lets eat up and hope that doctors come up with sum pill that gets rid of merc. :) (joking :\ )

JeffRogers
11-22-2003, 10:56 AM
I just got through eating a can of albacore tuna. This is madness.
I don't think I will stop eating it just because it is said to have mercury in it. All of the reasearch was probobly funded by Tyson or some chicken company. If it was a serious problem the FDA would pull it.

Jeff

Shao-LiN
11-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Nothing new...same thing comes up all the time.

bradley
11-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by JeffRogers
I don't think I will stop eating it just because it is said to have mercury in it. All of the reasearch was probobly funded by Tyson or some chicken company. If it was a serious problem the FDA would pull it.

Jeff

Actually the FDA does have guidelines associated with the consumption of canned tuna, and if I remember correctly if you eat 1 can per day and still be within their guidelines.

AndresC
11-22-2003, 03:39 PM
I donated all my albacore to the QFC foodbank. Besides the merc. I just can't force myself to eat another can. I made myself hate it over time.

bradley
11-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by AndresC
I donated all my albacore to the QFC foodbank. Besides the merc. I just can't force myself to eat another can. I made myself hate it over time.

I find the canned boneless/skinless pink salmon to be a nice alternative to canned tuna, although it is usually a little more expensive.

Reinier
11-22-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by JeffRogers

Jeff

"Don`t worry and sleep tight, the government is watching out" - Dutch TV news report in 1939 after Hitler invaded Poland

chrisconnell85
11-23-2003, 12:18 PM
Dammit this sux. I was just getting addicted to tuna to and bought like 40 cans last week. All of it was light tuna though which I guess isn't that bad. And I have really just been getting into tuna for the past month so I guess the mercury couldn't have done that much so far.
I"m just waiting for a study about egg whites giving you brain cancer :(

AndresC
11-23-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by bradley

I find the canned boneless/skinless pink salmon to be a nice alternative to canned tuna, although it is usually a little more expensive.

I bought 6 from costco. Your right it does taste prety good but then I remembed I didn't like salmon to start with so I gave the rest to my mom.

I'm just going to stick w/ my 6.5 lb bag of frozen chicken breast and canned chicken breast.

IronDaddy
11-24-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia

[b]
Excessive mercury levels in quarter of Hong Kong babies

A quarter of infants in a Hong Kong study have been found to have excessive mercury in their blood, which can cause mental retardation, and doctors have warned expectant mothers against eating too much fish.

Being a father of three I can atest that our doctors and pediatricians have been stating this for years. I find one thing interesting though. My oldest is 9 years old and even for that long we've known that you are not supposed to give your child seafood before the age of 2 (which is past the infant stage and beginning toddlerhood.)

My point... There's a big difference between Hong Kong and the US in what we serve ourselves and our children.

Berserker
11-24-2003, 05:05 PM
I'll eat tuna steaks, and not worry. Then again I only do it once or twice a year.

vypergts
04-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Being a father of three I can atest that our doctors and pediatricians have been stating this for years. I find one thing interesting though. My oldest is 9 years old and even for that long we've known that you are not supposed to give your child seafood before the age of 2 (which is past the infant stage and beginning toddlerhood.)

My point... There's a big difference between Hong Kong and the US in what we serve ourselves and our children.

I thought you weren't supposed to give young children seafood incase they were allergic?

gino
04-11-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm already ret@rded, so I guess I'll keep eating tuna

Den Fisher
04-11-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm already ret@rded, so I guess I'll keep eating tuna

+1

eating a can of white albacore as we speak :D

Asylum
04-11-2005, 03:50 PM
HOLLY F'N crap. It's like you were talking directly to me.

I SWARE on my life that right now as I am reading this I am about 3/4 done eating 2 cans of albacore w/ green tobasco sause.

HAHAHA that's hilarious!! What do they say about salmon steaks or fillets? I had heard something recently about them and I love to grill them up. Have a great recipe for ginger marinated salmon. I'm not down with mercury so it sounds like back to the drawing board. Andres, hilarious bro. That was so funny I about pissed myself reading it.

Bruise Brubaker
04-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Some people believes mercury is linked with autism, and there is also some mercury is vaccines. Autists would be persons who tend to accumulate all the mercury they ingest. This is probably true for some of them, autism is very mysterious...

Anyway, if you can eliminate as much mercury and you ingest, you should be allright. An healthy active person eliminates more than sedentary fatasses, although I guess the fatasses might store more mercury in their ass and less in the brain where it's the most dangerous... The problem with all that mercury crap is that seafood = omega 3.

javyn
04-11-2005, 10:40 PM
so what protein CAN one eat?

tuna is bad for you. dairy is bad for you (if you want to see a scare/shock page that makes the tuna claims seem like nothing, check out http://www.notmilk.com/ ). eggs are bad for you. red meat is bad. give me a break. how may vegan bodybuilders do you all know?

smalls
04-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Eat every type of protein, get big, die big. **** all the hype.

Vitalize
04-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Eat every type of protein, get big, die big. **** all the hype. Smalls said it perfectly.
If your worried about this and can afford it buy Salmon or another fresh water fish..but Im telling you, in a few weeks; fresh water fish too will be on the news and the new bad boy of foods.

spencerjrus
04-12-2005, 08:21 PM

:withstupi

Stackattack
04-13-2005, 02:54 AM

eddie500
04-13-2005, 12:15 PM

I agree, I used to care more about all the hype in the past. But I'd rather be big, get girls, get respect and die early.

The alternative is be a skinny wimp, get no girls, get no respect, and maybe live a little bit longer.. .

crazedwombat
04-14-2005, 06:22 AM
the res of old ass threads :) but gotta say the same as smalls