PDA

View Full Version : Optimal weight gain?

Silverback
11-23-2003, 10:35 AM
I know everbody is different but what weight is reccomended per week if you were to do a slow gain focusing on LBM?

I appreciate that fat gain will come, but i was wondering how many lbs per week/bi-week to gain in order to ensure minimum adipose storage.

thanks

Paul Stagg
11-24-2003, 08:57 AM
a pound or two, give or take.

Reinier
11-24-2003, 01:42 PM
I have had bad experience with gaining more than 1 lbs per week.
im natty tho

Silverback
11-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Reinier
I have had bad experience with gaining more than 1 lbs per week.
im natty tho

same here, while i made gain muscle gains i managed to get upto 19-20% body fat. never again too much hassle when cutting.

Now im going for minimal fat gain and max muscle :)

Scott S
11-24-2003, 03:07 PM
I'm going for .5 lb per week right now. I think the better you can stick to something like that (provided your routine is effective), the more likely you'll be able to just put on LBM.

defcon
11-24-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Scott S
I'm going for .5 lb per week right now. I think the better you can stick to something like that (provided your routine is effective), the more likely you'll be able to just put on LBM.

:nod: i say, a 1lb @ the most..

Manveet
11-25-2003, 10:23 PM
From experience, I would say anything over 1lb a week is too much (assuming the individual is natural), and even if you are eating cleanly.

eddie500
09-19-2007, 07:13 AM
I've been searching for optimal weekly weight gain, and this is the only post I could find.

Since this was over 3 years ago, is it still optimal to gain about 1lbs a week?

Is anything over 1lbs a week for a natural body builder will cause excess fat?

Teutates
09-19-2007, 07:19 AM
I would imagine for most people that it still holds true. I'm sure if you are 6'7 and have great genetics you could do a bit more naturally. When I start bulking I am going to plan on .5lbs a week and see how that goes (.5 based on what I have read here and T-nation). I hate cutting so I would rather do as slow of a bulk as I can and slowly raise my calories than eat everything in sight and have to do the weight loss thing all over again.

AKMass
09-19-2007, 07:35 AM
What about Anthony Ellis? I can't post links yet, but you can google him...

He claims to have gained 32 lbs of lean muscle in 12 weeks. Probably just a scam, but, I bought his book a few years back, and it seemed to be pretty consistent with info on this forum. Is it possible they were beginner gains?

KingWilder
09-19-2007, 07:45 AM
What about Anthony Ellis? I can't post links yet, but you can google him...

He claims to have gained 32 lbs of lean muscle in 12 weeks. Probably just a scam, but, I bought his book a few years back, and it seemed to be pretty consistent with info on this forum. Is it possible they were beginner gains?

if he has a book out how was it "beginner gains"? He also could have been on steroids...mostly I'm thinking it's bull

1lb a week at most to minimize fat gain

AKMass
09-19-2007, 08:43 AM
if he has a book out how was it "beginner gains"? He also could have been on steroids...mostly I'm thinking it's bull

1lb a week at most to minimize fat gain

Did you google him?

sharkall2003
09-19-2007, 09:33 AM
No more than 2 lbs per month, unless you've got a very very high metabolism and a perfect diet.

Vapour Trails
09-19-2007, 03:27 PM
I'd say 1 lb per week at maximum, less is better. Putting on quality weight is a slow process.

Outshine
09-19-2007, 03:34 PM
I've consistently read that the best a natural male can hope for is 0.25-0.5 lbs of muscle per week. So, if you're gaining something like 2lbs per week, at least 1.5lbs of that is pretty much guaranteed to be fat.

I personally will be shooting for 0.5lbs gained per week starting about a week and a half from today.