PDA

View Full Version : detrimental effects of not eating for hours

JustinASU
11-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Sometimes I have to work for 6-7 hours without a chance to eat. I get insanely hungry during this time but I just down a lot of water to ignore the pain. I work a job that typically goes from 8pm to 2am (club/bar). and I usually get in one more meal with healthy fats and protein before I go to bed. I also make sure (most of the time) that I made my caloric requirements for the day. SO my question is: Are there any detrimental effects to not eating for that 6-7 hours, such as going into a catabolic state?

ftotti10
11-23-2003, 03:57 PM
You should be ok. As you say you are meeting your daily caloric requirements and you seem to be able to cope with the hunger.
The only issue would be the timing of your workout. If you workout anytime after 5 then you may be missing out on nutrients when the body need them most. ANy earlier than 5 then you should be ok

Shao-LiN
11-23-2003, 05:50 PM
Not ideal, but as long as you get the cals in at the end of the day, it's fine. Can't bring like a protein bar or shake with yah?

Manveet
11-23-2003, 07:27 PM
don't you get a break when you work?

JustinASU
11-23-2003, 07:49 PM
I usually work out before work and get in 50 gr protein and 70 gr carbs after the workout and before the 6-7 hr fast. LAst night however after for I went out with the staff and ate 3 eggs, 3 sausage, 3 bacon, hash browns, toast, and a short stack of pancakes....not ideal at 3:30am :redface:

The protein bar is a good idea I'm just not very finanacially sound right now finishing up college.

I don't get breaks because I basically serve a bouncer function and I'm constantly disciplining those damn dirty hipies and having to throw them out of the joint.

Deibiddo
11-23-2003, 08:19 PM
It will let your insulin; hormone levels drop going that long with out food. Which is never a good thing, if you do have time to drink water; I suggest you stop by a store grab a few pints of milk in the big mouth bottles before leaving home add in some protein powder and mix it when you can at the club with some water. Maybe the bartender can spare a Lime, orange, or hand full of cherries. Anything bets nothing.

hemants
11-24-2003, 07:32 AM
I think that during long fasts you are better off eating small portions of junk than eating nothing.

I have a 6 hour break between lunch and dinner that I try to fill with skim milk and maybe half a cookie.

AllUp
11-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Dude eat anything man. S***.. Even a slice or 2 of WW bread. Surely you can put $2.79 into the food budget.

Also you can try the mobile protein shake thing with an empty soda bottle. Protein Shake, Just add water & shake well. :o

Holto
11-24-2003, 11:27 AM
make up your own cover charge and shake down the hippies

"No addmittance without complete protein for the bar staff"

it's ironic the best job I ever had for getting to eat was bouncing

I worked the club by myself and it was quiet enough I just stood by the door and ate and drank protein all night

I also make bars for cheap...

PM me for a recipe or search the recipe section