PDA

View Full Version : Bulking away!

geoffgarcia
11-24-2003, 10:00 AM
I've been bulking for about 2 months now
have put on about 8lbs, haven't seen to much of an increase in BF though.
Am 27, 5'10 and weigh a steady 187 these days, eating about 3200 cals per day, need to up that a bit to hit my goal of 200 by Jan.

Anyway, pics taken with my crummy web cam.
Here is a back shot

geoffgarcia
11-24-2003, 10:01 AM
here is a chest shot

geoffgarcia
11-24-2003, 10:02 AM
here is a head shot in case anyone is curious

ps, I carry the majority of my weight in my upper body, so still a little shy posting the wheels as I know they are lagging
but I am working on them!

Mik
11-24-2003, 10:04 AM
Lookin' big Geoff!

chris mason
11-24-2003, 10:22 AM
You call that bulked??? You look pretty darn lean to me!

Your back, especially, looks good.

geoffgarcia
11-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Well I'm trying to bulk... I eat pretty clean and have a hard time putting on weight or muscle. I figure I'm in the 8-9% bf range at this time, though thats a random guess.
The back pics didn't come out as well as I would have liked, I have quite a bit of striations and veins and stuff that the cam/lighting doesn't show.

I've pretty much been the same size bf/weight etc, for the last 10 years, which sucks...

Teufelhund
11-24-2003, 11:49 AM
You look really great, Geoff. Nice vascularity and the back is amazing. Those veins running across your delts are crazy!

13 lbs by January is going to be tough...

staggard
11-24-2003, 06:20 PM
Dude, awesome vascularity... how long have you been lifting for?
Good luck on your weight gain

steveo
11-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Good size. back looks strong. Traps are looking good as well.
As far as your BF goes I would guess more about 10-11% but I could wrong.
cool TV in back there.

BCC
11-24-2003, 07:21 PM
I wish I had veins like that in my delts.

geoffgarcia
11-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Teufelhund, yeah its gonna be super tough to reach my goal of 200 by Jan..I'm luck to gain 1.5lbs a month so we'll see if I can even get up to 193 by then. But I'm trying to up my calories by 500 per day so we'll see...

staggard, I've been lifting on and off for about 10 years...I go from completely outta shape to this kinda shape in about 2 months, so usually I do 3 months working out then burn out and take 7 months off *LOL* I've been sticking with it now for about 7 months or so, which is the longest i've ever been at it

steveo, ya the tv rules! I should just put a pic of it up here! *hahah* its a projector and the screen is about 11 ft wide and about 7 ft tall!
Ya 10-11% is def. possible, I haven't been measured in about a year, I was just guessing too!

BigChase, yah I try to concentrate on shoulders, they are def. the priority in my routines!

SquareHead
11-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Good Christ Geoff hats off to ya!

Livin Truth
11-24-2003, 08:51 PM
lookin good man..keep at it..i would like to hit 185 by jan, hopefully look as strong as you

Silverback
11-25-2003, 09:59 AM
Looking damn awsome and tight geoff!!!

What does your shoulder routine look like for the most part?

B-R

Reinier
11-25-2003, 10:11 AM
looking lean

geoffgarcia
11-25-2003, 10:13 AM
SH, Livin Truth, BR, Reiner,
Thanks for the kind words!

My workouts for the past 7 months (exercises, sets, reps, weights, etc) are in my journal in excel spreadsheets.

I've been flip flopping between HST and a modified WBB#1 for the past 7 months, 6 weeks per HST routine + rest breaks before and after, and I do the WBB's for about 10-14 weeks or so.

Currently my shoulder routine is
2x10 Machine Lateral Raises (~110lbs total)
3x10 Hammer Strength OH Press (~110 per side)
2x10 DB Lateral Raises (15lb db's)
2x10 DB OH Press (~55lb db's)

This is pretty high volume and I'm pretty much completely knocked out after the lat raises so I'm going to tone it down and drop 2 sets one of these weeks. probably -1 for the Hammer Strength OH press and -1 for the DB OH Press, not to sure...

Silverback
11-25-2003, 01:30 PM
No problem :)

It does seem a little high volume, but variation is the key. Maybe you should try and bump up the calories each week, if your making gains in the weights then you have no choice but to grow.

Im still blown away with your back, probably the most detailed back i have seen in a natural trainee.

Didnt you used to be a sprinter geoff? i know that when i started sprinting my legs responded very well.

geoffgarcia
11-25-2003, 02:02 PM
yah, I ran the 100, 200, 400 for Boston College
but it never did anything for my legs

PS,
for those of you that like the back
I'd never done a deadlift (or squats for that matter!) in my life till about 6 weeks ago. My back is all from pullups.

Max-Mex
11-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Your back reminds me of Zane in his prime.

Max-Mex
11-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia

for those of you that like the back
I'd never done a deadlift (or squats for that matter!) in my life till about 6 weeks ago. My back is all from pullups.

Yea well the squats aren't going to do that much for your upper back. Deads will just work traps, erectors, lower back. Keep at it with the chins, seem to work very well for you.

Silverback
11-26-2003, 12:17 PM
All deadlifts and squats have given me is a big ass, large hamstrings and a lower back solid as a rock, which is alright i suppose.

What sort of approach/workout have you adopted for your upper back?

(i think you knew that question was coming! :D)

btw im still in awe of the back, cant get over it

Silverback
11-26-2003, 01:16 PM
woah! cheers for the detail

Your deadlifts aren't bad to say your new to them, alot of deadlifting strength comes from practice. Pullups/Chins are excellent but many struggle to get going with them, as is my case. Just seems like my biceps take the brunt of the work.

One-arm db rows are an excellent exercise especially when preventing lower back pain, i find that you have to slow things down to a 3/3 cadence with a distinct pause at the top.

Im putting my back and shoulders as my priorities from now on, past 1yr 1/2 i spent too much on chest and created an imbalance which led to my array of imblance related injuries.

btw good luck in your journey for more size :)

geoffgarcia
11-26-2003, 01:21 PM
well thanks! although I think the lighting/shadows has a lot to do with the pics!!!

Here is a little history of the back exercises that I've done over the years and what has/hasn't worked for me:

Upright rows, did these for about 2 months a few years back, I think these were doing great things for the little diamond in the center of my back, but they never made it into more of my workouts since because they hurt my wrists (even w/ light weights)

I started doing shrugs about 1-1.5 years ago and have noticed that they have helped my rear delts and delt/trap tie in as well as improving my posture. (I do 2x10 on back day ~75lb db's) And since delts are a big thing I'm after I have kept with these!

Bent over db row, I just can't master, I can't get any type of contraction going so these haven't been in any of my workouts.

Pullups, what can I say I love these things!
a few years ago I did 9 sets of 10 (@BW) once per week for about 4 months and learned what it meant to be able to flare out my lats! I dont' have much thickness to my lats, but I can flare em out pretty well! The middle pic of my back is with them flared, when I let them go limp my arms hang straight down at my sides.
Lately I've been doing 2-3 sets of 10 weighted pullups ~35-45lbs and this seems to work ok for me, I do 5 to the front and 5 to the back of my neck. Also I found that doing 1-2 slow sets @bw at the end of shoulder days has given me huge gains in both shoulder and pullup strength, I don't know why!

I have been doing seated cable row as a staple in my workouts since I started lifting, just to get my lats a bit, but again I can't really master this move. I find I use a ton of biceps and rear delts (despite using low weights!) but I keep with em anyway because I dont know what else I can do on back day!

never did pulldowns...

just started doing deadlifts about 2 months or so ago....having trouble doing more than 280x5 for 3 sets (weak legs! and lower back)

tbar rows have swapped in for cable row once or twice...
I tried the Arnold single arm cable rows for a few months and liked them a lot! but the cable cages are always full of people so I have stayed away from this.

and thats about it for my back workouts....

When I go home tonight I'll see how far back I have saved my workout spreadsheets. I know I used to have them saved back to '99, but my harddrive crashed a year or two back and I think I lost some of them.

Silverback
11-26-2003, 01:28 PM
?

geoffgarcia
11-26-2003, 01:36 PM
I had cut what I wrote and was gonna redo the post to include a pic of my back from about 1.25 years ago but this site no longer allows pics of that size.
so here is a link
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=472809
I was about 171-174 in these older pics, compared to 186-190 now (getting older, and slow gainer)

Gavan
12-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Excellent Wings !!! :eek:

Do you use a pronated grip or supinated grip for your pullups/chins ?

geoffgarcia
12-05-2003, 10:34 AM
I do palms away, whichever that is...

Gavan
12-06-2003, 03:43 PM
That's pronated ! Many "gurus" beleive that supinated grip is better because it allows greater ROM and more stretch but many lifters prefer the pronated and more important said they got better results with pronated grip