PDA

View Full Version : Bulk or cut? What ya'll reckon?

jinxx
11-25-2003, 03:50 AM
So I gained lotsa LBM with this 2-3 month bulk but I think I overdid it a little by eating a little too much calories a day. I went from 180 lbs to 191 but my BF also went up from 8,5 to 13-14 I think. I'm loving all the muscle I gained and I can clearly see a difference from when I started the bulk but Im also hating the fat around my waist, abs are totally gone (when I flex I can see a few lines) so I was pondering about cutting again back to 8% or so cause I dont want to get my BF that high (scared of raising setpoint).
Do you guys usually bulk for 3 months and then cut for 1 etc or bulk way longer and just cut 2 months before summer?

Opinions?

geoffgarcia
11-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Well if your numbers are accurate:
180lbs at 8.5% bf = 164.7lbs of LBM
191 at 13.5% bf = 165.215lbs of LBM
so as you see you've only gained .5lbs of LBM
while gaining 10.5lbs of fat
= check your diet
where have you been getting your calories and what are your ratios?
I weigh about the same as you and am bulking currently also.
I've been taking down about 3300 calories, 250g protein, 100g fat, the rest in carbs and I haven't gained much/if any bodyfat over the last 3 months (so I realize i need to up my calories by another 3-400)

Keep bulking, but make sure your tracking your diet and not eating crapola and not going way to high over maintenance

I start bulking around August, and start cutting around March.

jinxx
11-25-2003, 01:13 PM
lol thats messed up and cant be right I guess. Either my starting BF was higher or I'm lower currently. Cause when I compare pics I can clearly see I gained a ****load of LBM, mirror tells me the same thing ;) My bulk was/is also very very clean and protein intake was high. I prolly did indeed put on a little too much fat but it aint 10.5 lbs :) I guess I should get my BF tested or something to be sure.

jinxx
11-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Check my pics and compare for yourself btw.

After bulk:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39372

Before:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37752

geoffgarcia
11-25-2003, 01:28 PM
jinxx
wish I could give ya more insight bud! I'm not good at eyeballing bf. When your doing these cuts and bulks its very helpful if you use a tool that gives consistent readings so you can track the amount of LBM gain and loss.

Despite the naysayers here, I have found the Tanita bf scales to be superior in consistency of measurements when used per the directions, and would recommend you look into their scales. Calipers are ok, but nothing beats the ease of the scales.
Good luck!
Geoff

PS, I'd say keep bulking up till around Feb-March then cut down for the summer!