PDA

View Full Version : Diet for building muscle

matrix5089
11-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Im looking for some info on what i should be eating im trying to bulk up right now i am currently 155lbs im not sure what my lbm is. I am taking protein drinks as well as creatine. I want to add muscle and not fat i have a good set of abs and would not like to bulk up and lose my definition. I was wondering how many calories i should be taking a day as well as fat, sat fat, carbs, protein and anything else im forgeting. i currently have been trying to eat as little fat as possible. usually total rasin bran and some carbs for brekfast i take my protein drinks spread out through the day dinner is usually vegtibles a meat and lots of carbs lunch is usually a sandwich and a salad with low fat dressing. Like i said i dont know if im eating right for what i want to do and if anyone has any suggestions that would help me it would be greatly apreciated. I know that diet is very important and i would like to be getting the most out of my workouts.

donraja
11-26-2003, 10:07 PM
well firstly, it is difficult to gain muscle without gaining a bit of fat because to gain muscle u need to be in a positive calorie balance. Just adjust your calorie intake until you're gaining about 0.5 to 1 lb a week anything more than that may lead to excess fat. with that said you must:

1. make sure ur getting enough protein. general rule of thumb is 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, in your case that would mean 155grams of protein everyday.

2. Try to get at least 25%-30% of your daily calories from EFA (essential fatty acids). But limit the in-take of saturated fats as much as you can.

3. The rest of your calories for the day you may fill with low GI carbs such as beans, sweet potatoes, etc. However, post-workout you may use a high GI carb such as dextrose to aid with the transportation creatine into your muscles and also to replenish muscle glycogen

matrix5089
11-27-2003, 12:22 AM
I forgot to mention that the creatin im taking is cell-tech and i take glutamine those are both post work out.

PeterParker
11-27-2003, 12:45 AM
CELL-TECH:newbie: :windup:

matrix5089
11-27-2003, 08:43 AM
lol...ya i am

Dano4025
11-29-2003, 05:23 PM
I was on a similar diet as you described, high in carbs and extremely low in fat, and it is terrible for trying to gain muscle. You need to concentrate on taking in some EFA's in your diet, good sources are flax oil, flax seeds, olive oil, nuts and peanut butter. Don't be afraid to take in some fat, your body needs it to function properly and if you don't have enough your body will start eating away at your muscles, and if you take in the right kinds I promise you won't gain any body fat. Also, up your protein to about 40% of your diet, and especially get some in the morning with your cereal, this being the most crucial time since your body has been deprived of it for so long during your sleep. And if really want to gain some serious muscle, plan on gaining some body fat, the extra fat will fuel your muscles to make great gains in strength and size, besides it's winter time so no ones going to be looking at your cut abs now, and you can lose all of the fat you gain for the summer and really show of the muscle you have put on. So start stuffing yourself at the table so you can stuff some muscle on, Look to eat about 3,000-3,500 calories a day depending on your metabolism and activity level, that amount should really help you to start putting some weight on. Good Luck, and Eat!!!

matrix5089
11-29-2003, 07:38 PM
whats the best way to get efa's what foods are high in them and what about a supplement is it worth it to buy one of these ive seen it for 14.00 for a months supply of taking three capsuls a day? I know you mentioned peanut butter but im actually not a big fan of it anything else you can suggest?