PDA

View Full Version : Does diet have ANYTHING to do with this?

Calhoun
11-28-2003, 03:48 PM
Well I live in a town where alot of people surf (I don't), and I've noticed some of the guys are really built (surfing build you up heaps), and some of the guys hardly have any muscle definition, or much muscle at all, even tho some of these guys (that dont have as much muscle) have been surfing for longer or surf more often than the really built guys.

Is this just a gene thing, or is it linked ot the fact that the built guys might be eating healthier foods?

PeterParker
11-28-2003, 03:53 PM
or they could hit the weights:strong:

defcon
11-28-2003, 05:13 PM
they are either genetically gifted.. or the less build guys got a realyl sucky diet, or as PP said, maybe the built peeps lift :)

Calhoun
11-29-2003, 12:33 AM
Nah they dont, most of em are my friends so I know anyway, but would a really good diet help in building (without lifting, only surfing)

Shao-LiN
11-29-2003, 01:23 AM
I wouldn't replace lifting with surfing.

fen2zla
11-29-2003, 02:30 AM
well if they are your friends why dont you ask them??
:)

Calhoun
11-29-2003, 03:52 AM
fen2zla: Because I dont want to sound gay lol
"Hey...I've noticed you have a built physique, how did you come by this?" -_-

So would a good diet aid building muscle due to surfing?
And would a bad diet stunt it?

Reinier
11-29-2003, 04:26 AM
Don`t "feel gay"

thats sily

Shao-LiN
11-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Honestly, muscle growth due to surfing, is most likely limited. The weight is constant and seems to focus more on your lower body than anything. I don't see why you would want to limit building muscle to surfing.

Calhoun
11-30-2003, 01:35 AM
Nah, im gonna start lifting once I buy some weights, but Im going to start surfing as well, as that will help....

defcon
11-30-2003, 06:17 AM
surfing will not get you the lean built body like your friend got.

Leviathan
11-30-2003, 10:46 AM
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind. (1) Surfing requires you to use all the muscles in your body to a greater or lesser extent (i.e. paddling against the waves, springing up on the board, balancing on the board). Lifting weights isn't the only way to build big muscles... every see the calves of sprinters? (2) Surfing has both aerobic and anaerobic aspects allowing individuals to build muscle and stay lean. Therefore, the muscle mass that they do have stands out more because they are lean. (3) Those that surf often get deep tans that tend to accentuate muscle definition.

For the most part, however, I think it is genetics. Some guys are just naturally mesomorphic and build muscle easily.

gopher
11-30-2003, 12:28 PM
For the most part, however, I think it is genetics. Some guys are just naturally mesomorphic and build muscle easily.
Yes this is true but let's not down play the importance of diet. A mesomorph who eats like sh!t will still look soft. I'm pretty sure that the surfers who look good have a much better diet than the sloppy ones. It also wouldn't suprise me if the better looking surfers were also hitting the gym a few times a week. If these guys are your friends just talk to them about it. Most people have to work pretty hard to build and maintain a nice physique and it is usually taken as a compliment when someone asks you for advise on how to make improvements to your own physique.

Calhoun
11-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Ok cool, yeah I understand it all now, and i will ask em

But I really want muscle definition....will lifting weights (and going on a diet) allow me to get that or will the extra mass I gain from eating more cover them up?

smalls
11-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Yes, a better diet should help them build muscle while surfing. But it comes down to genetics, the big built guys would probably have pretty much the same build if they didnt surf.

Muscle defenition is a funtion of bodyfat, so a clean calorie deficient diet while lifting is what your looking for.

Shao-LiN
11-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Yes, some people are just born with great genes and will just have that type of body no matter what. A friend of mine only plays basketball every so often...no weights, he's pretty lean and built looking and he's the biggest eater I've ever seen.

These are the people you look at and wish harm upon because you hate what they have without doing any work =P.

Sithy
11-30-2003, 05:42 PM
"surfing will not get you the lean built body like your friend got"

It all depends; i used to surf five days a week and was pretty ripped, i was around 18 at the time :) ate and drank what i wanted.

Although, i'd say genetics do play a large part, never - the - less don't under estimate the pyhsical strains of surfing, you have to be strong and fit to do it. Duck Diving 6 feet of white-wash requires alot of strength. I believe surfing, and surfing alone with a good diet can give you a great body.

Shao-LiN
11-30-2003, 06:09 PM
It might help you lean up a bit, but it won't bulk you up much in my opinion.

Calhoun
12-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Yeah ill start surfin and that HST thing (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com) thing looks good, is it free? I havent looked thoroughly through the site

Shao-LiN
12-01-2003, 01:34 AM
Read through the site =).

Calhoun
12-01-2003, 01:43 AM
damn you:P

Yeah im looking through now

Calhoun
12-01-2003, 02:00 AM
all this crap is too complicated (HST)

Could someone pelase give me the basic rundown, how am I supposed to do all that workout crap (know all this jargon) when Im completely new to this.....

Shao-LiN
12-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Last I read it (which was a few months ago), he explained most stuff pretty well. If you're new to the lifting game, then I'd suggest starting out on a simpler routine to practice form.

Calhoun
12-01-2003, 10:55 PM
WBB routines it is then I guess

Shao-LiN
12-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Yah, WBB routines are good. WBB 1 is great for beginners.

Calhoun
12-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Should I buy weight/bench for home or just go to the gym to do the routine?

jinxx
12-02-2003, 04:10 AM
Go to the gym dude, seriously. :)

Calhoun
12-03-2003, 01:23 AM
ok :)

defcon
12-03-2003, 06:56 AM
But do not try to push too much weight just because you see other people in the gym doing it.. do as much weight as you can but you gotta have strict form.

Shao-LiN
12-03-2003, 02:37 PM
I started out at home. Depends on you...gym would probably help you since others can critique your form.

And yes, don't push more weight than you really can just cus you think everyone will think you're a wuss. Everyone started somewhere. It's where you end up that matters.