PDA

View Full Version : what to eat before and after a workout?

bentkarnes
11-29-2003, 05:56 PM
any goods suggestions on what to eat BEFORE and how long before a workout to maximize performance? And how about after? I currently hammer a cup of whey protien right after a workout, but any help on this would be great. Also, if my chest and biceps are still a tiny bit sore from my last work out is it ok to workout again? or should I wait until im fully healed? very minor soreness though. Thanks

Jasonl
11-30-2003, 12:27 AM
i would suggest about 20g of whey and 25g of carbs about 30 mins before your workout. how many g of whey are you taking post workout?

bentkarnes
11-30-2003, 07:08 AM
i take about 25g of whey right after my workout, roughly

ChrisH
11-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Good protein (like whey) and some quick carbs.
Most people will say something like whey and a mix of maltodextrin and dextrose would be good.

Roughly the same before the workout some time.

smalls
11-30-2003, 03:34 PM
I usually just eat a real meal an hour or more before and then whey+malto+dextrose directly after.

WaterWalker
12-01-2003, 12:39 PM
Is it necessary to use malto and dextrose? I use dextrose. Just wondering if malto provides anything extra.

Lonewolf
01-13-2004, 11:53 PM
as far as I know maltodextrin is a complex carb compared to dextrose which is a simple carb , IMO I would take malto before I went to bed

Maxgain
01-14-2004, 05:31 AM
as far as I know maltodextrin is a complex carb compared to dextrose which is a simple carb , IMO I would take malto before I went to bed

MAltodextrin is described as a complex carb but gets absorbed much quicker than proper food which makes it ideal for providing good carbs that will be absorbed quickly post workout. Unless it is taken with milk or something to slow absorption I would only take it pre or postworkout, definately not at night time in water or that as it is absorbed far too quick. I take 50g of protein 120g of maltodextrin and 30g of glucose postworkout. Thats just weightgainer mixed with lucozade I also add creatine either the pure form or one that comes with sugar (when its on special) this contains 23g of dextrose which i also mix

Pre workout i eat a carb and protein meal about an hour and a half to 2 beforehand.

crazy_cool
01-17-2004, 12:10 AM
your arms are sore....1 week later??? WOW... that is odd. I could see a few days...5 the most. Perhaps glutamine would really help you out?