PDA

View Full Version : Learning to eat

AzBboy
11-30-2003, 09:05 PM
hi i was wondering how u learn all this stuff about nutrition what to eat to gain mass and crap. i really wana/needa learn this once and for all. i dont wanna be those lame guys that count every single morsel of food and what not thats too crazy. i know the real basic crap u know meat eggs and cheese. eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. that works for a while but then u start to not see so much change in your body cus u have to really know what your doing. so howd u learn how to count calories proteins all that stuff and fit em into your routine? any books u suggest like basic not too hard to understand? i try to read but they like, are beyond my comprehension. any thing would help thank u Marco

donraja
12-01-2003, 11:25 AM
to count calories you can use www.Fitday.com and if you're not seeing results (im guessing you want to gain weight) then you should up your calories by about 100 to 200. Try that for a few weeks and if you're still not gaining then you can increase it another 100.

AzBboy
12-01-2003, 04:44 PM
thanks for the link...once again tho very confusing. whats a dry egg? why do servings of egg go by cups? am i gonna have to start putting my eggs in a cup first to check how much cups they are, then eating em or something? i ate two eggs...piece of toast...water....i didnt think that would be that hard to input...but oh it is lol. those are just two of the many confusing questions i have had. ill just stick in there i dono thanx tho

Alke
12-01-2003, 05:34 PM
it can be confusing, and is more homework than most people want, but if you take the time to muddle through it, it pays off.

I wouldnt think you gots to count EVERY single calorie per day, just keep it in the same ball park range to start out with, and use your weight (checked once every week) to see if you are staying in the ball park or not ie: losing a pound+ a week for cuts and gaining a pound+ a week for bulk.

and uhm....the egg should be like 70 calories per egg, with around 7 grams protein per egg.

Hercule
12-01-2003, 06:53 PM
I count ever Macronutrient I eat. Look at it this way-

1 Gram Protein= 4 Calories
1 Gram Carbohydrate= 4 Calories
1 Gram Fat= 9 Calories

Keep up with the amount of protein, carbs, and fat you eat, and multiply that by the above numbers. Its really not that hard. When you do it enough, you memorize the exact macronutrient of a lot of food. I can tell you the exact amount of carbs, fat, and protein in any food I eat on command. It gets easy, and is pretty necessary if you want to be succesful.

daddyzombie
12-01-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Hercule
I count ever Macronutrient I eat. Look at it this way-

1 Gram Protein= 4 Calories
1 Gram Carbohydrate= 4 Calories
1 Gram Fat= 9 Calories

Keep up with the amount of protein, carbs, and fat you eat, and multiply that by the above numbers. Its really not that hard. When you do it enough, you memorize the exact macronutrient of a lot of food. I can tell you the exact amount of carbs, fat, and protein in any food I eat on command. It gets easy, and is pretty necessary if you want to be succesful.

While I dont count everything, these are good numbers to remember. At some point you`re gonna need to take a little time and do some figuring. At very least add up your protein intake to make sure you`re getting at least 1-1.5g per lb of body weight. I did this and found out I wasnt getting enough protein. Started to pound down the protein and walla put on some more wieght and added some poundage to my lifts. Take a little time, figure it out then stick to it.:)

AzBboy
12-02-2003, 05:47 PM
hey i gotta thank u guys alot. i just used those numbers hercule and it may seem petty to u but i just calculated my first meal ever...2 eggs, 2 slices of white bread, 1 and 1/4 cups of milk and i got 28g protein, 48g carbs, and 511 cals. to me that is a huuuuge step forward for me calculating my first meal. so thanks alot for that info. as far as the protein i heard the body can only digest 30g at a time, every 2-1/2, 3 hours. the rest just waste product. so my next question is if u eat more than 30 grams at one sitting does that make the extra protein useless towards your 1-1.5 gram per pound of bodyweight goal? say at breakfast i happened to consume say 50g protein...my weight being at 150, consuming about 175-200 grams of protein a day should suffice. do i knock off only 30 grams off that amount? since the extra 20 will not be digested? thats one question i have. anyways thanx bunches once again. Marco

WillKuenzel
12-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by AzBboy
i heard the body can only digest 30g at a time, every 2-1/2, 3 hours. the rest just waste product.

I believe there have been several studies done to show that to be bogus. I sure hope so at least since I eat close to 50-60g per meal, 5-6 times a day.

Jasonl
12-02-2003, 06:35 PM
i'm with you HomeYield, i too eat 50-60 grams per sitting.