PDA

View Full Version : carb cut out

syntekz
09-15-2001, 02:42 PM
Quick question; would it make sense to cut out carbs from 3 out of the 6 meals of the day.

So I would eat carbs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But my other 3 "in between" meals I wouldn't touch carbs. (I workout at night).

KryptoAllez
09-15-2001, 02:46 PM
Quick question; would it make sense to cut out carbs from 3 out of the 6 meals of the day.

Makes perfect sense. You mean like in meals 1-3 carbs but 4-6 no carbs? I'm currently doing something very similar. I have more carbs in my first three meals and less in the last three, down to just 8 grams of carbs in the last meal. It's a good idea to taper off carbs as it gets later in the day especially if you're trying to shed some body fat.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-15-2001, 02:50 PM
yes, but if you train later at night have carbs after that.

If you eat 6 meals a day then eat carbs in 3 of them. Eat carbs with brekkie and meal 2 and then eat pro and fat for the rest of the meals bar post workout.

KryptoAllez
09-15-2001, 02:57 PM
yes, but if you train later at night have carbs after that.

Most definitely depends on your goals. If I wasn't on a cut, I would be eating way more carbs my last meal or two cause I also work out late in the evening.

Kazuki
09-15-2001, 03:07 PM
Hate to be the first one to say this...

But in my opinion, don't cut out carbs until perhaps your last meal. In order to efficiently ship the protein to your muscles, you should have some level of insulin carrying it there. Maybe I have decent genes, probably NOT... but I just watch my caloric intake, make sure it does not exceed what I take in for the day. It really helps a lot with overtraining, even while dieting.

Tryska
09-15-2001, 03:07 PM
when i'm eating right (which sure as hell hasn't been this week) i have a serving of grains in the morning....the rest of my carbs come from dairy, and from fruits and veggies through the rest of the day. Pre workout, i eat some fruit. pot workout it's a glass of milk with protein powder.

i think you'd do well to think about the KIND of carbs your eating, as opposed to just counting grams.

Kazuki
09-15-2001, 03:30 PM
I agree. If you're worried about fat, eat your green carbs late.

syntekz
09-15-2001, 03:43 PM
Well I was gonna start a new diet with

50% pro
20% carb
30% fat

Saw it in a mag; gonna give it a try.

Kazuki
09-15-2001, 04:31 PM
I hope you don't plan on gaining much lean mass like that.

Jane
09-15-2001, 09:38 PM
how come kazuki? seems like a balanced higher protein, decent fat plan to me...maybe not good for bulking though?

heathj
09-16-2001, 12:16 AM
Seems more like a maintaing diet to me.

Mr BC
09-16-2001, 07:32 AM
That diet ratio of 50/20/30 is a good one.It can be use for cutting, mainting,or bulking depending on your daily caloric intake.If you want to cut out carbs out of your meals then i would do so only at night time in the last meal or eat carbs like salads and vegetables.of course if you train at night you need to eat carbs foe recovery.Remember it is ''calories in versus calories out'' that matters along with a few other things.

Tryska
09-16-2001, 09:24 AM
i agree with Mr. BC. that diet can be used in all stages depending of caloric intake, and will actually help keep BF levels in check....

Spiderman
09-16-2001, 10:01 AM
I agree...although I don't think my carbs have been that low... Since i came off my diet I've been able to pretty much maintain my bodyfat level that I got down too. I've been gettin about 50-55 g protein per meal and about 40 g carbs...give or take on each one. (fat content not sure on). But anyway, my point being I agree with Tryska and our new member Mr. BC...just make sure if you're training higher intensity you may need to be eating more carbs....

Mr BC
09-18-2001, 01:22 PM
The only thing with that spidey is that is a lot of protein at one sitting.I know we are led to believe that we must consume truckloads of protein,but in essence the body can only utilise so much at a particular time.If you notice that after meals you are going to the toilet and urinating in a bright yellow colour(different to that of dehydration)then you are basically pissing that protein away and remember protein is the most expensive out of the three nutrients.Just my thoughts!

Paul Stagg
09-18-2001, 01:34 PM
The only thing with that spidey is that is a lot of protein at one sitting.

** So?

I know we are led to believe that we must consume truckloads of protein,but in essence the body can only utilise so much at a particular time.

** Says who? There is no scientific basis for that statement.

If you notice that after meals you are going to the toilet and urinating in a bright yellow colour(different to that of dehydration)then you are basically pissing that protein away and remember protein is the most expensive out of the three nutrients.

** Untrue. The only way to test for 'excess' protein would be to test urine for nitrogen. Protein IS the most expensive of the three macronutrients, however, so your point that excess cals would be more cost effective coming from another source would be a good one.

syntekz
09-18-2001, 02:29 PM
Well, I feel that there is a limit on the amount of protein your body can handle. I notice that if I eat a meal high in protein or especially when I eat a big protein shake. I **** within minutes and have bad gas. It's as if the protein just slides right down the "shute."

I think for everything in this world that there is a limit.

There may not be scientific proof that the body can only use a certain amount of protein at a time, but if I had to make a hypothesis I would make one that suggested that there is a limit. It just doesn't make sense that we could eat and eat and eat protein and it all be utilized by the body.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-19-2001, 06:55 AM
Is it me, or does anyone else think that folks are getting the terms 'utilise' and 'digest' wrong?...

syntekz
09-19-2001, 08:25 PM
In the context they seem to serve the same purpose.

Budiak
09-19-2001, 08:28 PM
MMmmMmMMMmmm...I usually dont have carbs in my last two meals. Of course, one is just a cup of protein powder, but dont mention that to the boss, ya dig?

degsta
09-19-2001, 09:07 PM
50% protein in your diet is mighty high if you are bulking. There's really no point unless you are trying to lean out....even then *I* wouldn't go that high. Carbs aren't the devil, just moderate and cut down as needed. It's damn expensive and it will be hard to choke down all that protein if you are eating clean unless you are using lots of protein powder.

Jane
09-20-2001, 01:29 PM
so degsta, what would you consider a good protein percentage for bulking? and for cutting?

Cackerot69
09-20-2001, 05:09 PM
I think it's a great idea. I'm doing it now.

Have your carbs and fat separate, and protein in each meal.

So, 3 carb meals would look like this:

Protein-30-50g
Carbs-50-70g
Fat-0-5g

Then, 3 fat meals:

Protein-30-50g
Carbs-0-10g
Fat-25-25g

Or whatever you caloric requirements call for.

You could set it up differently, too. Like, first 3 meals carb meals, last 3 fat meals or vice versa. Or, alternate. I placed my carb meals around my workout. Also, more meals would be better for this as to prevent a huge insulin spike with your carb meals. I eat 8-10.

I especially like this for gaining muscle with a minimum of fat, but I'm sure it would work well for losing fat as well.

Jane
09-20-2001, 05:16 PM
hey, you're back!
anyway, i know this has been discussed before, but why not carbs and fat and protein all together in each meal?

(hey, the only way to learn is to ask, right?)

syntekz
09-20-2001, 06:28 PM
I can't really answer your question Jane. But the reason I even asked this question is because of this:

It's been pounded in my head that carbs are what is going to make you gain weight, blah blah blah. (I know it's not totally true)

But when I have meals with only protein and meat it seems so much cleaner than eating a meal with carbs. It's almost as if the carbs go into my stomach, inflate, and make me feel BIGGER. Hey; maybe they do?

Is it almost like putting your body into a carb defecit throughout the day?

(I'm rambling, nevermind.)

degsta
09-20-2001, 07:25 PM
jane, I used a 40/35/25 (pro/carb/fat) when dieting and that worked fine. Just a little trick though, since my cals were low due to cutting and carbs weren't that high(for me), I did carb up on the weekends and that helped replenish glyco-stores and maintain muscle a bit better. Kinda like in a CKD diet.

I use a 45/25/30 (carb/pro/fat) when bulking

Cackerot69
09-20-2001, 07:55 PM
I'll be around.

OK, when you eat carbs the hormone insulin is released. When insulin is released it's antagonistic hormone glucagon is lowered. Glucagon is responsible for burning fat and preventing fat from being stored. When glucagon is low, fat storage is high, and beta-oxidation (meaning fat burning for energy) is very low and pretty much impossible. If you eat high carbs along with high fat you get low glucagon/high insulin along with a lot of fat in the blood, and as a result this fat is stored. In simple terms, high fat with high carbs = synergistic fat storage. It's the most effective way of putting on fat.

By separating them, you can take advantage of both glucagon and insulin. You have your carb meals and insulin is released, this insulin release brings glucose and amino acids into muscles and because of the very low fat intake in this meal there just isn't any fat to be stored.

In the fat meals insulin is not released, rather glucagon is raised and fat burning is kicked into gear. This heightened level of glucagon causes fatty acids to be burned for energy and because of this muscle glucose is preserved.

If you use this method to gain then you will minimize fat gain and maximize muscle gain, if you use it to lose than you will maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss.

For those of you out there who have the very improbable goal of gaining muscle and losing fat, I think this would be your best bet.

Hopefully that made sense.

Adam
09-20-2001, 07:58 PM
Great post cack!

syntekz
09-20-2001, 08:44 PM
That REALLY was a great post. It was put into VERY simple terms for those of us who don't understand all the technical stuff. And it completely makes sense. Thanks Cack!

Cackerot69
09-20-2001, 08:54 PM
ace. :)

Tryska
09-21-2001, 06:46 AM
couldn't have said it better myself gooface...;) nice to see you still exist.