PDA

View Full Version : Ketosis Question

Hercule
12-01-2003, 06:44 PM
I'm doing the Atkins diet, and I have lost a good deal of BF, and am maintaining almost all of my muscle. A week ago, i bought some Keto Stix. These are different from what I have heard they are supposed to be like. These test for the amount of Glucose and Ketones in your urine. For amount of Ketones, it goes from 5mg/dL(trace) to 160mg/DL(large). I have been in Ketosis since last Sunday(a full week now). On Saturday, I was measuring at 60mg/dL(moderate-large), today I am Small(15dg/DL). My carbs are lower today, but I am not in as high a level of Ketosis. How much does it matter what level you are? If you are in Ketosis, are you going to see the same results no matter what? If so, then why do you need the diff. measurements?

liftalittle
12-01-2003, 09:13 PM
You do not need to show any ketones in your urine to be in ketosis. I follow a ketogenic diet and only showed high level of ketones for the first couple of weeks and then the level dropped off. I think that your body begins to adapt to ketosis and learns to stop wasting energy by make too many ketones which have to be excreted in your breath and urine. If you truly have not changed your diet at all then you should be fine. Sometimes things that should not change your level of carbs, like diet coke, slow ketone production somewhat especially if they have a sweet taste. Not completely sure why.

I would be interested in hearing how your training goes. I have made great gains in the past year following a ketogenic diet and working out. I started working out in Jan 2003 and have doubled my bench at this point. All other muscles have gone up as well but not quite as much as bench. Although you may hear that creatine will not help you much on a ketogenic diet, I would urge you to try it because I can tell a huge difference in my endurance and strength in the gym taking creatine. I take the creatine with no carbs before works and at night.

Borgod Maxximus
12-01-2003, 09:56 PM
The amount of water you drink will affect the results on your ketostix.

Generally, the more water you drink during the day, then that will dilute your urine and show less ketones on the ketostix.

As long as you are showing ketones on the ketostix then dont worry, trace or heavy it doesnt make a difference, you are still in ketosis.
The results will be the same.

bradley
12-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Ketosis is not an indicator of weight loss, so it really not important what readings you see on the Ketostix.

raniali
12-02-2003, 10:20 AM
as has been stated, ketostix are generally only effective at the initial onset of ketogenic dieting. the longer you follow a ckd, you will begin to just know when you are in keto.