PDA

View Full Version : These things are good, and easy, portable.

manowar669
12-01-2003, 09:31 PM
I just tried these. Pretty good. Portable. Like a cookie, but light like bread. Anyway, try em. They're easy, and most of us probably have the ingredients already.

1 cup oats (the recipe called for old-fashioned oats, I had quick oats, worked ok)
2 scoops vanilla whey (brands vary, so you may have to experiment, I used 2 scoops as the recipe said, worked well)
4 egg whites (self explanatory)
1/2 tsp baking powder
cinnamon to taste (i like cinnamon, so a good bit)
3 tsp splenda (the recipe didn't have this, but in my experience flavored whey lost it's taste when heated, if your whey is flavored with splenda, you might not need this, experiment, i buy cheap whey)

Preheat oven to 350 (original recipe didn't say, I guessed) Whisk dry ingredients together, lightly beat egg whites in separate bowl (I use those cheap assed Glad semi-disposable plastic things as "bowls" and wash em), fold egg whites into dry ingredients (for the culinarily challenged, dump the egg whites in, use a rubber spatula, and scrape dry stuff away from sides and fold into the center until all is mixed, don't beat it to death). Fold until batter-like, (mine was quite wet, but worked well), will vary some depending on whey brands, and humidity etc, but for a first half-assed experiment, all things went well. I baked at 350 for 20 min, until golden brown (and shiny outside due to the egg whites as any baker will tell ya).

Considering I just read the recipe at work, and threw it together in like 5 minutes, it worked quite well. Lightly sweet and fluffy like angel-food cake (maybe a touch dry, but drink your water). I might experiment in the future with dried lemon peel or orange peel. For those who've read Lord of The Rings, it's like Lembas bread.
Nutrional breakdown best as I can figure.
Yield: 7 cookies/cakes/ whatever about 4.5 inches diameter
kcal:100ish
pro:10.2g
carb:11.5g
fat:around 2 (little less for the batter, but I used pam on the nonstick cookie sheet)

manowar669
12-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Update: Eat them right away, they dry out more if they sit overnite (maybe I should have covered them). Still edible, just dry, maybe I'll add a yolk, the fat might moisten them up a bit.

AndresC
12-05-2003, 03:32 AM
someone make me some? :)

wolfpack
12-09-2003, 07:36 AM
they are in the oven right now, i used 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg though because after i mixed in the dry ingredents it looked very dry so anyhow i'll reply and let you know how it turns out. oh and i used myoplex protein if that matters

wolfpack
12-09-2003, 07:56 AM
ok i just ate my first piece, its kinda dry and tasteless, i'm sure this would have something to do with what protein powder you use though. since its so high in protein i think i can get down a few pieces with some natty pb.

mickyjune26
08-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Bump - anyone have any other good portable recipies? I travel 5 - 10 days a month.

mickyjune26
08-03-2005, 06:48 PM
my bad...just found the recipies forum.