PDA

View Full Version : Dieting and Diet Drink

Junior
12-06-2003, 12:42 AM
I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

Im just wondering how Diet Softdrinks affect a cutting diet.

I am eating very clean, and very structured, but I do enjoy between 2 and 6 cans of diet soda at night.

I always crave them when im dieting (i think it is because they taste sweet and sugar intake is so low).

Should I be drinking these or do they have a negative effect? I know they have between 0 and 5 calories but my sister was just put on a cut and her tainer said NO DIET DRINKS??

Thanks in advance.

mikey4402
12-06-2003, 02:47 AM
i know diet drinks dehydrate you. why not drink power aid or crystal lite instead of the diet soda's

fornero
12-06-2003, 10:47 AM
The #2 ingredient in Powerade (behind water) is high fructose corn syrup-- not something you really wanna be consuming any time, definately not while cutting.

Crystal light is great IMO, and I've recently been making sugar free kool-aid with liquid artificial sweetner (may as well not take in the bulking agents in the powdered sweetners) or stevia extract.

As far as diet pop-- the caloric content is just about nil, and you wouldn't want to be drinking it around your workout, but as long as you're still getting enough plain water, drinking diet soda on top of it probably won't hurt ya.

-Matt

bradley
12-06-2003, 01:01 PM
As far as diet pop-- the caloric content is just about nil, and you wouldn't want to be drinking it around your workout, but as long as you're still getting enough plain water, drinking diet soda on top of it probably won't hurt ya.

Do you have any particular reason as to why you would not consume diet soft drinks around your workout? I realize water would be the best option, but I do not see how diet drinks would adversely affect your workout if consumed immediately before or after your workout.

fornero
12-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Do you have any particular reason as to why you would not consume diet soft drinks around your workout? I realize water would be the best option, but I do not see how diet drinks would adversely affect your workout if consumed immediately before or after your workout.

Carbonation, in my experience, seems to interfere with hydration (this is purely anecdotal; I feel thirsty if I drink, say, a diet coke before going to the gym with no water beforehand). Plus the carbonation in the stomach is never pleasant during, say, HIIT :drooling:

Post workout, with the goal of rehydration (in general, I try to drink at least 16oz of water while walking to the gym, drink during workout, and then at least another 16oz shortly after my workout), I've again found that diet soda doesn't really quench my thirst like water. I want to say I read something about the carbonation interfering with hydration, but I can't really remember.

That being said, I probably put away a solid 2 liters of diet soda/kool-aid/whatever every day, I just try to stick with plain old water around my workout.

harryhoudini66
12-07-2003, 02:33 PM
I drink mostly water, but when I need something sweet, I drink Crystal Light.