PDA

View Full Version : Need to cut

phreakypat
12-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi. First my stats: 5'8" 280 lbs. A lot of bodyfat.
I'm not sure what type of diet to go on. I don't want to go on atkins because it seems unhealthy and I'll lose muscle. So what type of diet can I do? How about training. Can I go on a stationary bike for 30 min. everyday?

harryhoudini66
12-07-2003, 07:35 PM
First thing, you are not the first person to be fat. Try using the search option. There are plenty of posts about this and different diets available. I almost felt like the Wannabebig Nazi. Okay, now that I got that out of the way.

You may not have as much muscle as you think, unless you have been doing a healthy bulk for sometime, but just in case, I would recommend doing a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet. The means that you take in very little carbs during the week and reefed (eat lots of carbs) once per week. This is kind of like Atkins but not really. You get to eat fat and mostly protein. This will help you to loose weight, but maintain muscle that you have. This, like any diet, requires a calorie deficit and is very hard. I started at 250 and am down to 177 now. However, I am 57. I lost about 30 pounds using a traditional balanced diet and lost about 33 pounds using the CKD. On average, I lost about 3 pounds per week. The healthy loss would be 1-2 pounds though. Since you do have lots to lose, then 3-5 pounds on a CKD will be cool.

If you decide, you want to do a balance diet, and then consume 10x your bodyweight in calories per day. I would recommend having 40/35/25. Basically, breaks down to percentages of protein, carbs, and fats. The fats should be mostly healthy fats or Essential Fatty Acids like peanuts and fish.Make sure to consume 1 gram of protein for each pound of weight. Drink lots of water. At the very least 1 gallon per day. Exercise; try to focus on muscle gain. If you need to track your calorie intake, then use www.fitday.com

Lots of cardio. Maybe look in to High Impact Interval Training. 20 minutes of this will get your as much if not better results then a 45-minute cardio session. If you want to do traditional cardio, then do 45 minutes three times per week. Workout with weight three times per week also. Get a good routine down and stick with it. Take your measurements to track progress and most importantly, set reasonable goals. Focus on body fat also. Sometimes the scale lies to you. It will take you at least 7-8 months to rather get the results you want. Oh and don't worry about getting too big. Although many of us dream about it, we would not be able to do so.

Hope that helps. Sorry to be anal about the search option, but just seems recently newbies have been signing on to the boards and do not bother to use it.

Black Ice 72
12-08-2003, 03:47 PM
AOL information on Atkins Diet (http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/content/pages/11/39536.htm?DEST=WebMD&contentSRC=aoldiet)

galileo
12-09-2003, 07:32 AM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com - You can ask questions about Ketogenic diets and Lyle will actually answer (although I can't guarantee he won't call you horrible names and make you feel worthless).

I'd say in your position, a ketogenic diet would be fine. Purchasing Lyle's book would likely be an excellent first step. I'd start off with a TKD until you get down into the lower range <18%, then switch to a CKD. In his book he'll describe some methods of training that might be of use to you for now. But you can probably get away with using something like WBB #1 or #2 (check the WannaBeBig routines forum).

Good luck.

JeffWillConquer
12-09-2003, 10:36 AM
HarryHoudini, you were nice enough to make that long post helping him, don't worry that you had to be a little harsh. Anyways, good luck to you on your cut phreakypat. I think you will discover that cutting is quite simple if you have the proper dedication and knowledge.