PDA

View Full Version : Calorie deficet for weight loss

LightSlayer
12-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Hail! I have had a weight problem all of my life. I weighed about 200 lbs at 8 years of age. Now I weigh in at about 360-380 at 17 years. I'm not exactly sure of my weight because I can't find a big enough scale. I have a fair amount of muscle, my upper body has some detail. I can bench nearly 300 lbs, curl around 120, and my tricept extension is 125 lbs(behind the head, one dumbell). I can also trap 510. My question is how many calories should i take in per day in order to lose weight and retain muscle. i have gotten estimates that say I burn on average 3200-4500 calories per day. But i have more muscle mass than the average "fat guy". I have been keeping my calories low, about 2000-2300 per day and would like to know if this is to few.

JeffWillConquer
12-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Truth be told, most average fat guys think they have a lot of muscle. Not saying you don't, but it's a common myth. 2000-2300 sounds like too few for a man of your size. I was cutting successfully on about 2100 and I weigh 155. This holds especially true if you want to retain the muscle you have. The sad part is, you are going to lose some muscle. I'm under the influence that it isn't possible to cut without losing SOME muscle. A common estimate people use for calories is 12 X bodyweight. As Bradley and others have said countless times, this isn't true for everybody. Although lowering your calories any bit is going to help your weight eventually. If you're burning 4500 calories a day, you have to eat less than that to lose weight. Try 3000 calories. It takes roughly 3,500 calories to lose a pound, so determine how fast you want to lose it and do the math. Hope this is helpful.

PS: I'm not sure what "trap" is as for an excersize. I would guess you mean shrugs, which work the traps.

carolinagirl
12-09-2003, 05:48 PM
It's better to be a little conservative than too crazy when you're cutting cals. Keep track of how much you're eating (www.fitday.com, before you ask ;)) and how much you're losing.....and adjust accordingly. If it's not between 1-4 lbs per week (it's not uncommon for someone your size to lose very quickly at first, though usually people shoot for 1 lb a week to be sure they're not losing muscle), then adjust the calories down or up as needed.

I'd *guess* that you shouldn't be any lower than 3500/day for the beginning of this little experiment, but it's very hard to know for sure. The last thing you want to do is send your body into starvation mode and shut down your weight loss, which is what will happen if you cut too low for too long!

Good luck.

Jasonl
12-09-2003, 06:04 PM
also, make sure you're getting at least 1g or protein per/lb of bodyweight, as this will help curb some of that pesky muscle loss. i'd say start with 3500-3800 cals a day for a week and see what you weigh in exactly one week.