PDA

View Full Version : Question about green tea

powerhalf
12-09-2003, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone, I have a quick question about green tea. What is supposedly beneficial about this when cutting? I seem to hear a lot about people who are on cuts drinking it, but nothing about its effects. Is it because it naturally has caffeine in it? If so, I'd rather avoid it, as I think my E/C is giving me a fair share of caffeine. Although I do need something hot to drink in the winter time, I'm not a huge fan of coffee and hot chocolate is out...

Bryan
12-09-2003, 08:07 PM
-surpresses appetite
-anti-oxidate
-promotes the use of FFA
-increased thermogensis
-increased nutrient partitioning

Stray
12-09-2003, 08:09 PM
Hi everyone, I have a quick question about green tea. What is supposedly beneficial about this when cutting? I seem to hear a lot about people who are on cuts drinking it, but nothing about its effects. Is it because it naturally has caffeine in it? If so, I'd rather avoid it, as I think my E/C is giving me a fair share of caffeine. Although I do need something hot to drink in the winter time, I'm not a huge fan of coffee and hot chocolate is out...

Some studies suggest that besides being a great antioxidant, that green tea has a thermogenic effect and promotes fat oxidation...and not due to it containing caffiene.

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published some stuff about it...a search on the web should bring up a sheetload of articles that probably made middle-aged women everywhere go running for the Lipton.

powerhalf
12-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Ok, cool. Thanks for the info :)

bradley
12-10-2003, 01:29 PM
http://www.1fast400.com/?ingredients_id=17

Here is a good article on green tea, if you are interested.

IronDaddy
12-10-2003, 01:31 PM
The caffeine in green tea is insignificant when it comes to cutting.

TheGimp
12-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Does this mean that decaf green tea offers the same health benefits? Both weightloss and otherwise?

Stray
12-11-2003, 02:16 PM
I'm sure the caffiene may be helpful at burning an additional spoonful of calories, but the health benefits are still there without it.

I usually drink green tea before bed to help me get some sleep, so all I drink is the decaf kind.

TheGimp
12-12-2003, 04:45 PM
Now all I gotta do is find some place in this country that sells it :(

Saint Patrick
12-12-2003, 07:18 PM
green tizzea is the shizzy

newly_buff
12-13-2003, 06:09 AM
Wow! Great information. I wasn't aware of this...thanx for all info the on this.

powerhalf
12-15-2003, 12:03 AM
Yep, cool thread here. Hot green tea tastes pretty good and it's nice to drink when it's flippin' cold outside :)

While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a particular brand of green tea they prefer over the others? This super cheapo kind I have is fine but if other brands have a better taste then I'd pick them up instead. Although maybe green tea is green tea is green tea.

Saint Patrick
12-15-2003, 11:45 AM
I buy lipton green tea, tastes decent.

tubstain1
12-15-2003, 12:47 PM
I hate the bitterness, but I drink it anyway because of the antioxidants and other good stuff.

I'm thinking it's an aquired taste, and waiting till I acquire it :) I use the teabag version.

bradley
12-15-2003, 01:22 PM
To reap the full benefits of green tea, I would recommend supplementing with green tea extract, which is relatively inexpensive as far as supplements go.

Spartacus
12-15-2003, 01:55 PM
I hate the bitterness, but I drink it anyway because of the antioxidants and other good stuff.

I'm thinking it's an aquired taste, and waiting till I acquire it :) I use the teabag version.

try adding a bit of orange peel when you're brewing it, that can counteract the bittterness.

also, you might try a different sort of green tea. there are many varieties at an asian foods store.

tubstain1
12-15-2003, 01:57 PM
aahhh... therein lies the secret. I've had some excellent green tea at a japanese festival once and I thought all green tea tasted like that. If I could only get that exact one again.

I'll raid my asain grocer sometime.

Spartacus
12-15-2003, 02:04 PM
my favorite is uji-gyokuro. usually i drink this gunpowder tea though becuase i get half a kilo for 3 buck.

ebrunner
12-17-2003, 05:52 PM
How much green tea does one need to drink to get the benefits?

Tank23
12-17-2003, 06:01 PM
Read the link Bradley posted mate. It's all in there.

Bradley: Thanks for the links dude, was a good read :)

Budiak
12-23-2003, 06:25 PM
I drink Lipton mostly...because its the cheapest, but when I get my ass out the door the **** at Trader Joe's is pretty good, too, as is Celestial Seasonings, but it tends to..uh...go on sale a lot less often than Lipton.

smalls
12-25-2003, 03:55 PM
To reap the full benefits of green tea, I would recommend supplementing with green tea extract, which is relatively inexpensive as far as supplements go.
That's what I use. Makes it very easy, just pop em in my nerdy pill container for the day and I'm good to go.