PDA

View Full Version : Calories

BLAZE
12-14-2003, 05:16 PM
approx how many calories should someone 135lbs, 5'7 guy be taking in each day in order to lose about 5 to 10 lbs?

entrrt
12-14-2003, 05:40 PM
you sure you wanna LOSE weight first? the consensus is 10-12 cals/lb. BW for calorie deficit(cut)...~15 cals for maintenance...and, 18-20 for calorie surplus(bulk). spread those cals out among 5-6 meals/day.

JeffWillConquer
12-14-2003, 06:10 PM
Honestly, I would not even think about losing weight in your situation. If you're trying to get six pack abs, you will probably come to find that you will only be a skinnier, less muscular version of what you are now, with a bit more visibility of the abs. Although if you do want to cut, what entrrt said is a good starting point.

drew
12-14-2003, 07:22 PM
How old are you Blaze, and why would you want to be so light?

BLAZE
12-14-2003, 08:32 PM
im 15, got some extra flab around my stomach and face. I dont have a lot of muscle so most of the weight is fat and whatnot.

ItalianGalleon
12-14-2003, 08:43 PM
If you're trying to look better, then dieting is definitely NOT the thing to do. Eat more, eat cleanly, and check out wbb workout 1. The 125 lbs youre aiming for will NOT make you look good.

JeffWillConquer
12-14-2003, 09:09 PM
males at 125 just do not look good. Ever seen Saved By The bell? 125 will give you a Screech Powers-like physique. Who wants that?

entrrt
12-14-2003, 09:18 PM
so...you wanna go from "8% BF to 6.5%"??!

what's your diet look like?

Saint Patrick
12-14-2003, 09:28 PM
approx how many calories should someone 135lbs, 5'7 guy be taking in each day in order to lose about 5 to 10 lbs?

Ask the starving kids in ethiopia.

Seriously dude, I can't understand why someone at that height/weight would even THINK about losing weight.

BLAZE
12-14-2003, 10:10 PM
Well first of all thanks for the responses. Although 5'7 135 seems like an 8% body fat person, i must make it clear that being only 15, VERY little of those pounds are muscle, most of them are fat. If it were a full grown man at 5'7, he would have significantly more muscle than I have, and would have very low body fat. I guess it would be better to work out more than diet. Also, a problem is that being 15, I can not really pick each of my meals exaclty the way i want them. After tracking my calories and such I've seen that i don't take in an awful amount of saturated fat but i do take in a lot of carbs so that might be the problem. Essentially what I'm trying to do is lose the excess body fat before working out hard. From what I've read about bulking/cutting, this seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks

Shao-LiN
12-14-2003, 11:00 PM
It's the right thing to do if you're extremely overweight. At your weight and height, you should be thinking about bulking. At your age and newness to lifting, you can probably pack on muscle and maybe maintain or lose bodyfat at the same time.

My suggestion is to start a slight bulking cycle. You going on a cutting cycle at that size will just make you look even scrawnier whether you think very little of that is muscle or not. Your age doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how much muscle you have...your lifestyle and genetics has a lot to do with it.

powerhalf
12-14-2003, 11:53 PM
It's already been said, but let me say that I agree with Shao and the rest. I know it's hard to see it now, but trust them, bulking really is what you want to do. At your height, weight, and age, if you follow WBB#1, work hard in the gym and do a day or two of cardio (if you want, it's not necessary), and eat good food, you'll be fine. The important thing is that you keep working hard, don't get discouraged no matter what, because the results will come.

entrrt
12-15-2003, 12:12 AM
It's already been said, but let me say that I agree with Shao and the rest. I know it's hard to see it now, but trust them, bulking really is what you want to do. At your height, weight, and age, if you follow WBB#1, work hard in the gym and do a day or two of cardio (if you want, it's not necessary), and eat good food, you'll be fine. The important thing is that you keep working hard, don't get discouraged no matter what, because the results will come.

:withstupi

Saint Patrick
12-15-2003, 12:38 AM
:withstupi

:withstupi :withstupi

drew
12-15-2003, 07:34 AM
:withstupi x3

Besides, it's called Wanna Be BIG for a reason ;)

harryhoudini66
12-15-2003, 07:43 AM
Yeah, that is way too low. I am also 5'7 and weigh in at 177. I think if anything you should bulk up and focus on muscle increase. This would include a six pack.

defcon
12-15-2003, 09:38 AM
:withstupi :withstupi :withstupi :withstupi

Anthony
12-15-2003, 11:20 AM
Blaze, seriously, trying to lose 5-10lbs at your current height and weight seems a bit excessive. I realize you are uncomfortable with your flab, but you'll do more harm than good by trying to cut right now. Get on a balanced diet, train hard 3-4 times a week, and I gaurantee you'll feel 10x better about your physique by the time summer rolls around.

BLAZE
12-15-2003, 02:57 PM
Guys thanks for the feedback, I'm also honored to recieve so many "I'm with stupids." I was hoping to get at least 1 but ive gotten 7or 8 in total, That Rocks.

Shao-LiN
12-15-2003, 03:16 PM
Not sure if you understand it right. It means that they agree with what we are recommending for you.

Trust me, I used to think like you. But cutting down at your size is not that great since you really have nothing to cut down to. You, yourself admit that you don't have much muscle, so why are you going to cut down to nothing?

BLAZE
12-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Yes I understand the whole :withstupi thing :). Also, today my teacher said the avg person my age should be getting around 3,000 calories. This sounds insane to me because using fitday.com i tracked my calories. Eating very unhealthy for the past months i was still only taking in about 1500 at most. Im currently trying to stay around 1k while eating healthy. I've started to substitute most snack times with an apple or a few clementines. I was just curious because 3,000 just sounds way too much.

Shao-LiN
12-15-2003, 04:54 PM
1,000 is actually way too little. You're effectively slowing down your metabolism by eating so little during the day. You should be eating at least 2,000, if not more.

Anthony
12-15-2003, 05:03 PM
You need to eat!!!!

5'7 and 135 is skinny - you cannot flex bone! Focus on building some muscle and the fat you have will not seem as bad!! Trust me!

Dropping down to 1000 calories a day will put your body into starvation mode and can actually cause you to lose more muscle and store fat!!

I'm estimating your calorie needs to be around 2500+ ... even if you were trying to lose weight (which I highly recommend you AVOID), you should only be going 500 below maintenance.

Like I said above - eat a balanced diet that is at least your maintenance calories (I recommend 500 above maintenance for you), bust your ass in the gym 3-4 times a week, and you'll be very pleased with what you achieve by summer.

BLAZE
12-15-2003, 05:19 PM
Thanks for your input Anthony :)

BLAZE
12-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Based on my calculations, I get around 1500 cal on a day of eating watever i want. to get 2500 cals i would have to force feed myself, eat ice cream and all that other good stuff every day.

xbranman2
12-15-2003, 06:48 PM
well im 5 6 and 130 lbs. but im very muscular and good sized. but im normaly about 140 when its not in wrestling season.

Anthony
12-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Post your diet. I can't imagine eating whatever you want comes to 1500. That's 2 meals! Again, post your diet, I want to look at it.

BLAZE
12-15-2003, 07:56 PM
ok. Today- Breakfast- 2 Pancakes/orange juice

Lunch- Turkey Sandwhich/1 scoop of mashed potatoes.Bottle of water
Snack- Fruit Snacks- a very small candyish snack that is about 90 cals, but none of it is fat, so it gets the job done without the fats of a normal snack.
snack-Apple

Dinner- 1 slice of Pizza, Yikes. Water

Snack- Granola bar

Snack- 4 Clemetines(tiny oranges)

btw, i consider this an improvement over my old eating habits.

I also find myself going to sleep about 2 hrs earlier than usual.

drew
12-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Go get yourself a big tub of weight gainer and make yourself a shake every day. You can supplement lots of calories that way.

Dedicated
12-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Your 15, just eat and workout and you will be fine. When I was 15 the laaaast thing on my mind was tracking calories, it's a hassle, you got plenty of time to get bigger and then cut. You need to eat more though, I can eat 1500 calories for breakfast:)

clvmike19
12-16-2003, 11:25 AM
You dont have to eat ice cream. Drink milk (calorie dense) eat tuna (little fat, alot of protein) eggs (very good protein) chicken (same as other) Throw in some bananas etc to balance it all out. After you eat right for awhile and lift itll all start to even out.

Anthony
12-16-2003, 12:28 PM
Your best meal was lunch, although you should try to get some good fat from sources like peanuts or flax oil. The rest of your diet is basically carbs - which is probably why you have a belly. Focus on a balanced diet. That means carbs, protein, and fat at every meal. Use your lunch as an example when creating your meals.

harryhoudini66
12-16-2003, 01:51 PM
Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches

BLAZE
12-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Ok, Thanks for everything guys. :)

smalls
12-16-2003, 07:28 PM
You dont HAVE to eat poorly to get more calories, but you would have to force feed yourself, if you want to gain weight then that's what it's gonna take, trust me, you'll get used to it. The only time I ever feel hunger is first thing in the morning, but I still force over 4000 cals down.

smalls
12-16-2003, 07:29 PM
BTW, may I suggest copious amounts of milk.

harryhoudini66
12-16-2003, 08:24 PM
I agree. You take too few and you begin to get in to starvation mode. Whatever amoung of fat you eat, your body store becuase it thinks you wont be feeding it in a while. The fat is stored energy. Up the calories with good stuff and the pounds should come of easily.

BLAZE
12-16-2003, 08:57 PM
i doubt im in starvation mode because im rarely hungry eating small snacks of fruit or something about an hour apart, even tho i only get around 1500 cals...

smalls
12-16-2003, 09:23 PM
That's the point. Your body's hunger signals have been thrown off and is being much more "efficient" thus burning less calories. I really suggest you begin to eat more.

Shao-LiN
12-16-2003, 11:49 PM
i doubt im in starvation mode because im rarely hungry eating small snacks of fruit or something about an hour apart, even tho i only get around 1500 cals...

You think you're not in starvation mode. I've gone a day w/o eating and I didn't feel hungry at all...doesn't mean much. Your body will adjust to the low amount of calories you are taking in by lowering your metabolism and storing more fat because it thinks you aren't able to get enough energy from outside sources.

I understand you're 15 and you think you know it all, but trust us on this one....1000 calories is way too low.

BLAZE
12-17-2003, 02:53 PM
if i guessed though, I'd say the past 2 years ive been eating like a pig, and i doubt i ever got more than 2000 cals a day, and i gained about 20 lbs both years in fat.

Shao-LiN
12-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Have you been doing any kind of activity, or do you just sit there all day? Judging from your diet, your nutrition comes from primarily carbs. Compound that with not doing anything all day and an impaired metabolism due to not eating enough of the right foods and you get fat.

The longer you go eating such a low amount of calories, the easier it will be to put fat back on when you up them again.

BLAZE
12-17-2003, 03:43 PM
:withstupi yea, I'm thinkin thats the problem too. But now that im liftin and runnin more i shouldnt have that problem.

Shao-LiN
12-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Still need to be eating upwards of 2,000 calories a day.