PDA

View Full Version : Flax oil shelf life info.

DumbbellTosser
12-16-2003, 01:24 PM
I was told that an unopened bottle of flax oil goes rancid in just a few weeks if it's not in the fridge. And I hear it lasts up to a year if kept in the freezer. Some stores actually sell it chilled. Most stores don't.

So does it really go rancid that fast?

Anthony
12-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Probably.

TheGimp
12-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Man I hope not, I've got two bottles of the stuff that have been sitting in the cupboard for months.

DumbbellTosser
12-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Yeah this is what i've heard. I initially found this out from a woman in a health food store. She said the oil goes rancid so fast that the brand she supplies actually ships the oil on ice and then it's immediately put into the store's fridge and sold chilled. I moved away and now can't find a store near me that does that. But I'm asking if this is all true first of all to see if I shouldn't worry about buying it room temperature.

TheGimp
12-16-2003, 02:15 PM
What's the problem with it being rancid? Just the taste? Or does it affect the nutrition as well?

DumbbellTosser
12-16-2003, 02:18 PM
When I say rancid I mean it's lost it's nutrience. The essential fats will be useless.

thetopdog
12-16-2003, 02:33 PM
I remember Bradley saying that there are free radicals in rancid flax oil, and you want to stay away from them.

I could be wrong, but flax oil probably only goes bad quickly once the bottle is opened, so you might not have to worry too much about it sitting on the shelf if it's still sealed

Just don't make the same mistake I made, and open the flax oil, don't put it in the fridge and keep drinking it for months. I didn't realize it was supposed to be kept in the fridge! haha

TheGimp
12-16-2003, 02:49 PM
*rushes downstairs to put it in the fridge*

DumbbellTosser
12-16-2003, 02:56 PM
hmmm free radicals... sounds like you may be on the right track, TopDog. Anybody else have any info on what happens when it goes rancid? And if it only happens after it's unsealed?

Shao-LiN
12-16-2003, 03:00 PM
Should be storing it in the fridge once you open it anyway.

bradley
12-16-2003, 04:27 PM
hmmm free radicals... sounds like you may be on the right track, TopDog. Anybody else have any info on what happens when it goes rancid? And if it only happens after it's unsealed?

Omega-3 fats are prone to oxidation and can therefore become rancid, which in turn can mean increased free radicals. To prevent this opened flaxseed oil should be kept in a cool dark place (refrigerator). As long as the unopened flaxseed oil has been nitrogen flushed and kept in a tinted glass bottle the chance of it become rancid are greatly decreased.

DumbbellTosser
12-17-2003, 06:53 AM
Ok. Cool. Thanks