PDA

View Full Version : alcohol & nutrient partitioning

Spartacus
12-17-2003, 12:10 AM
since alcohol causes vasodilation, would'nt it cause nutrients to be preferntially taken up into muscle?

any excuse would be useful! :alcoholic

bradley
12-18-2003, 02:47 AM
You have to keep in mind that when you consume alcohol it will be metabolized first, so I do not see how alcohol could be of any benefit, not to mention the effects it has on protein synthesis.

galileo
12-18-2003, 09:53 AM
I've read claims that a beer with a meal could be positive in terms of nutrient partitioning, but I've yet to see any solid proof. I think wine with dinner a few times a week (1 glass) or a beer with your meal would be acceptable for sure, but drinking to get inebriated isn't going to do your waistline any favors.

Spartacus
12-18-2003, 11:56 AM
You have to keep in mind that when you consume alcohol it will be metabolized first, so I do not see how alcohol could be of any benefit, not to mention the effects it has on protein synthesis.

i was thinking more along the lines of what galileo mentioned, moderate drinking with a meal.

bradley
12-20-2003, 07:20 AM
i was thinking more along the lines of what galileo mentioned, moderate drinking with a meal.

In your original post you mentioned vasilodation, and I am curious as to why you think this would case nutrient partitioning, when it will cause increased vasilodation to both muscle and fat. I tend to think this would make it a moot point.

Also the reason I mentioned that alcohol would be metabolized first is due to the fact that there will be no nutrient partitioning when all other macros are "put on hold." I agree that a glass of wine or a beer will not hamper your progress to any great extent, but I do not think it will be of any benefit.