PDA

View Full Version : salmon oil

datagram
12-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Yesterday I went to the drug store and purchased some salmon oil. Here is the brand I purchased. http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3558

Well the problem lies in when I burp, I taste fish for like 5hrs!!!! :whiner: Is there any other alternative? Suggestions anyone?

dirtyvest
12-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Do you honestly feel like you need to supp the oil? (I don't mean that to be a daft Q) If you get sufficient EFAs etc in your diet then you shouldn't need to supplement it.

I make an effort to get oily fish in my diet regularly, I get a nice mix of olive and rapeseed oil (altho I think UK and US rapeseed oils differ, correct? dunno your equivalent), peanut butter regularly and no longer feel the need to supp oils.... plus I don't smell - well, no worse than usual.

Dirty

Dirty

TheGimp
12-17-2003, 02:38 PM
Olive oil, rapeseed oil and peanut butter are not good sources of EFAs.

MrWebb78
12-17-2003, 02:49 PM
fish burps are the best!

actually when i feel the need to supplement my efa's(meaning if i didnt get enough that day), then i take a few capsules at bed time, then the burps never get me.

previous post hit it best, get enough from your diet so you dont have to supplement, its a waste of money.

try a morning shot of olive oil, its tasty, i promise.

dirtyvest
12-17-2003, 03:02 PM
They are decent sources of healthy fats

Spartacus
12-17-2003, 03:06 PM
they are not omega 3 EFA though, which you need even if you are getting other good fats in your diet. getting monofats or omega 6 EFAs isn't a substitue for omega 3s.

TheGimp
12-17-2003, 03:42 PM
I also take my EFAs (Flax oil) before bed (with my pre-bed shake).

Don't get me wrong those are "good" sources of fat insofar as they are high in monofats, but they contain very little EFAs. Oily fish would be best as far as whole foods go, but sources such as eggs from hens fed flax seeds, walnuts and walnut oil, and even green vegetables like broccoli can add up.

datagram
12-17-2003, 05:43 PM
I think I just might try Flax oil caps instead of fish. I can't stand that burp!!!!

universal
12-17-2003, 07:23 PM
fish r better sources of epa/dha

Spartacus
12-17-2003, 07:39 PM
try taking it right before a meal or before bed.

datagram
12-17-2003, 10:04 PM
I didn't try that. I'd always take it after I eat the meal. I'll give it a shot right before I eat.

bradley
12-18-2003, 03:03 AM
The fish burps will subside after a week or two, or you could try using enteric coated fish oil caps. Have you tried taking the fish oil caps before you consume whole food?

If you are going to use flaxseed oil, then go with the liquid, since it takes much more flaxseed oil to get an equivalent amount of EFAs that you would get from fish oil.

datagram
12-18-2003, 07:26 AM
I've never tried taking them before I eat, but I'll give it a shot! I just can't stand those dang burps....they taste so nasty...lol :)