PDA

View Full Version : strength improvement(what a cliche right?)

zepata
12-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Hey guys i've been lifting for about 1.5 years doing mostly bodybuilding type of stuff, plus the 3 O lifts. i weigh ~160, max bench is 225, squat 240, deadlift 250... I figure my bench is decent, but I'd really like to improve all 3 lifts as much as i can. Is there a known and effective "Powerbodybuilding" routine so to speak of that may incorporate both? or should i just do something like Westside for a while and cut out the bodybuilding? My main goal is strength, but I would like more size as well. Let me know what you would be most effective for strength gains for me if you can. Thanks

MixmasterNash
12-18-2003, 01:14 PM
You bench is decently strong. Your squats and deads however are not, in proportion to your weight or bench. Those are your weak points and you should work on those.

Almost any routine that involves heavy weights will lead to strength and growth, as long as you are eating properly. Westside is very heavily tilted towards the big 3, and pretty damn effective for strength. I would probably use a more balanced routine to gain size, with emphasis on more than just 3 main compounds, such as olympic lifts, overhead pressing, pullups, dips, etc.

PowerManDL
12-18-2003, 02:44 PM
I would really recommend against Westside at this phase since you really don't have the foundation to do it in terms of strength and most likely in technique.

I'd agree with Nash about finding something that will improve your strength all around while working to get the technique down on the main lifts.