PDA

View Full Version : Rugby routine

Meat_Head
12-20-2003, 09:12 AM
Hey guys, I put together this routine to help me get a little bigger, stronger, and better fit for rugby in febuary. Let me know what you think, and what ya'll would change... I'm 5'10, 190lbs, and about 16% bf right now...

Monday -

ATF front squats - 2 heavy sets
Jump squats - 1 heavy set
Powercleans - 2 heavy sets
Cable abs optional
1/2 mile run

Tuesday -

Bottom position bench press - 2 heavy sets
Pullups - 2 heavy sets
Lateral raises - 4 sets
Explosive pushups - 2 sets
EZ bar curls - 2 heavy sets
1/2 mile run

Wednesday -
1 mile run
1 more cardio activity(sports, etc.)
BW jumpsquats
Explosive situps

Thursday -
Powercleans - 3 light sets
ATF back squats - 2 heavy sets
Jumpsquats - 1 heavy set
Cable abs optional
1/2 mile run

Friday -
OH press - 2 heavy sets
Nautilus pullovers - 3 heavy sets
Bench press lockouts - 2 heavy sets
Explosive pullups - 2 sets
Explosive pushups - 1 set
Hammer curls - 1 or 2 sets
1/2 mile run

Saturday -
1 mile run
1 more cardio activity
BW jumpsquats
Explosive situps

Sunday - Rest

body
12-20-2003, 11:11 AM
what postion do you play?

Meat_Head
12-20-2003, 03:18 PM
what postion do you play?

Actually I don't really know much about the game yet, and I've never played before. They just started the league in my area, so hopefully I won't be the only one who needs some help lol

I'm 5'10, 185-195 and relatively fast if that tells ya anything.

bigfella13
12-20-2003, 06:42 PM
my guess is u could be playin scrum half or in one of the centre positions, ivfe been playing for the last 4 years and once u get bitten by the bug u eat sleep and breathe rugby, i know i did. One question tho, is it league or union? if its league its a whole different kettle of fish

Saint Patrick
12-20-2003, 06:55 PM
you should look into plyometrics (medicine ball, etc)

JuniorMint6669
12-20-2003, 07:59 PM
Drop 4%, fatty ;)
JK, everyone in so cal that I know whom plays rugby is pretty skinny though. You'd **** 'em up.

Meat_Head
12-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Drop 4%, fatty ;)
JK, everyone in so cal that I know whom plays rugby is pretty skinny though. You'd **** 'em up.

Coo, there are some big mutherfackers at my school, the football linemen, that are signing up to. Luckily there are a variety of positions on rugby, so I won't have to go completely head to head with guys like them all the time :help:

body
12-21-2003, 04:33 AM
I would empahsis driver moves like squats, deadlifts, as this will help when your driving people forward.

JustinASU
12-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Do some sprint work. I played some rugby and that'll help you better than simply running a mile. Honestly in my experience though, a lot of club rugby players don't workout regularly so if you have a strict routine then you already have a jump on them. Also figure out what position you are playing as that will help you tailor your training better.

ChrisH
12-21-2003, 01:10 PM
Rugby can be a lot like HIIT, depending on position. The forwards have to do a lot of pushing work, then have to get back to defend, or get to the next ruck/maul. Heavy stuff > Sprint/Jog to next Ruck/Maul, repeat.
Backs can get a bit more rest in that they can get chances to get back into line and stuff.
I've played prop a few times, pretty fun trying to put in big hits and driving over, but its hard work. Bang bang, drive over, sprint to next ruck, repeat, run over to scrum, do a load of pushing, get out and have to try to make tackles or give support.
Backs can do more running, but usually they're the ones who try all the fancy footwork, while the forwards just bang it in.

You could do part of your cardio as normal, but i'd suggest throwing in some sprints like Justin said; and putting in some HIIT style stuff because its close to what you have to do. (Sprint/Jog is probably better than Sprint/Walk)

TBH you don't have to overcomplicate, just concentrate on getting stronger, fitter etc. When it all comes down to it, its tackling technique and all the other skills that make a big difference. Weight and strength are just part of it.

Have fun!

bigfella13
12-22-2003, 01:11 PM
If u check this site out, itll give u all the info u should need, good luck in your rugby career, youll need it

bigfella13
12-22-2003, 01:12 PM
http://www.scrum.com/fitness/default.asp

seK
12-23-2003, 11:19 AM
<---- Hooker , in more ways than one.

I actually do play Center for a local team, I am 2 big to be a hooker (6'5 220) :(