PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Soccer Shoes

Anthony
12-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Do any of you use indoor soccer shoes for squat/deads? I tried a pair of Adidas Sambas which had a similar sole to Converse (about 1/2"), but the Adidas were wider. I could also feel the floor through the sole, which I thought was excellent. I'm giving these some consideration, looking for input.

Btw, sandals and slippers are frowned upon at my "gym" ...

Adam
12-21-2003, 05:28 PM
I've never tried soccer shoes, sort of sounds like a wrestling shoe.
I just were shoes called aqua socks when I do squats and deads. They don't have any ankle support but have tons of grip and are very thin.

Saint Patrick
12-21-2003, 06:49 PM
Do any of you use indoor soccer shoes for squat/deads? I tried a pair of Adidas Sambas which had a similar sole to Converse (about 1/2"), but the Adidas were wider. I could also feel the floor through the sole, which I thought was excellent. I'm giving these some consideration, looking for input.

Btw, sandals and slippers are frowned upon at my "gym" ...

I had a pair of sambas that I wore for like 3 years before they finally fell apart. Great shoes.

Hell, this thread makes me want to go buy a new pair right now.

MixmasterNash
12-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Me too! I'm going to buy Sambas tomorrow. Now I have an excuse: Lifting shoe.

I've probably owned 10 pairs in my life, but not in the past 2 years. Super comfortable walking around shoes.

phreak
12-22-2003, 01:56 AM
I've also used indoor soccer shoes for DLing and OLing. Great lateral stability, moreso than wrestling shoes.

Anthony
12-27-2003, 12:06 PM
I bought a pair of Adidas Sambas today and just got back from a squat workout. All I can say is these shoes rock.

phreak
12-27-2003, 01:26 PM
... these shoes rock.Or rather: they don't rock -- which makes them great. :)

Darcy Tucker
01-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Put my indoor soccer shoes in my bag....before going back to my school residence..Excited for squat day tomorrow.

Anthony
01-04-2004, 03:33 PM
I actually traded my Sambas for a pair of Airwalks - thinner sole, wider, and I got them on sale for $70 less than the Sambas. I've used them for deads and like them a lot. I'll squat in them tomorrow.

Darcy Tucker
01-08-2004, 04:48 PM
I tried indoor soccer shoes for squatting and i liked them a lot better than basketball shoes. Much thinner sole.

Livin Truth
01-08-2004, 05:20 PM
i dont get it, i see guys wearing the indors soccer shoes around all the time in the gym..how do they actually help you squat and deadlift and such in the gym??..LT

Darcy Tucker
01-08-2004, 05:40 PM
They won't help you lift weight. It just feels better on your feet because they are that much closer to the ground.

Anthony
01-08-2004, 05:41 PM
LT, any shoe with a thin flat sole is great for squats and deadlifts.

For squats, they help because you're pushing against something that is flat and hard, not a cushion that expands and contracts depending on how much pressure is on it. Think about a vertical jump off a concrete block VS a vertical jump off an air mattress - what scenario will give more height?

For the deads, the same thing applies, but it's also nice to be closer to the ground so there's less ROM.

medevac
01-11-2004, 09:45 PM
LT, any shoe with a thin flat sole is great for squats and deadlifts.

For squats, they help because you're pushing against something that is flat and hard, not a cushion that expands and contracts depending on how much pressure is on it. Think about a vertical jump off a concrete block VS a vertical jump off an air mattress - what scenario will give more height?

For the deads, the same thing applies, but it's also nice to be closer to the ground so there's less ROM.
Not to mention that many shoes people wear to workout are a running-type of shoe, which tends to have a lot more support in the heel and seems to make it easier to roll to the ball of the foot. I like a flat shoe with zero ankle support, so I switched my grappling shoe for some indoor soccer shoes. And I know this is the PL forum but they also help a lot with calf raises, too ;)

Livin Truth
01-13-2004, 08:58 PM
hmm maybe ill grab me a pair..LT

ericg
01-14-2004, 05:32 AM
I like my chuck taylors; lots of support, thin, flat, and cheap. Oh and they come in many different colors.

Alke
05-27-2004, 03:15 PM
I have been using plain tennis shoes for squating and deads ever since I can remember, after some threads, I take it the shoes most used by everyone here are: for squating is:

Adidas sambas or Chuck taylors?

Paul Stagg
05-27-2004, 03:25 PM
For squatting, you are generally better off with a stable shoe with a flat sole.

So, most cross trainers and certainly running shoes are out.

I wear Converse All Stars (the leather ones, not Chucks) for squatting. I like a higher shoe to keep my ankle stable.

Max-Mex
05-27-2004, 03:30 PM
This thread threw me off for a sec there. I'm thinking soccer shoes (with cleats). Why would anyone want to squat or DL with those? Then I read later everyone meant "indoor" shoes.

Saint Patrick
05-27-2004, 03:56 PM
I got a new pair of Sambas and I use them every time I Squat/Deadlift.

wibble
05-27-2004, 04:21 PM
I constantly wear my Adidas Sambas in and out of the gym. I wish they were breathable though. Whew wee! :)

Alke
05-27-2004, 04:29 PM
cool, and they are not as expensive as I thought they would be. They gotta be better than the 20.00 shoes I buy now :)

WillKuenzel
05-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Wal-Mart sells a pair of the Chuck Taylor look alikes for $10. Exact same thing. I tried them on as well as a pair of Chucks and there is no difference, so I bought a pair. On my ME squat or deadlift days I wear them. Any other time I'm in the gym I wear the Sambas.

biggimp
05-27-2004, 08:11 PM
i wear my iversons that i had for basketball. they are my favorite shoes that ive ever squatted in. tons and tons of ankle support, which is what i need most, and also since they're basketball shoes they have nice grip. i like high-top basketball shoes for squat and like some adidas superstars for deadlift.

Ebu
06-07-2004, 11:18 PM
i use sambas too!

ElPietro
06-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Wal-Mart sells a pair of the Chuck Taylor look alikes for $10. Exact same thing. I tried them on as well as a pair of Chucks and there is no difference, so I bought a pair. On my ME squat or deadlift days I wear them. Any other time I'm in the gym I wear the Sambas.

OMG you knock-off buying queer! tuttut It's not the same because THEY ARE NOT TEH CHUCK! So make sure you don't tell people you are training in your chuckie's, because you aren't. :p

WillKuenzel
06-08-2004, 04:05 PM
OMG you knock-off buying queer! tuttut It's not the same because THEY ARE NOT TEH CHUCK! So make sure you don't tell people you are training in your chuckie's, because you aren't. :pLOL, you're the brand name buying metrosexual though. Just because it comes off the same development line, but they just don't put the logo on their doesn't mean its not just as good. In fact they're better just because, they're cheaper. Just like you and your hookers; the cheaper the better. :p

Isaac Wilkins
06-08-2004, 04:39 PM
I lika tha Chucks.

And you're both Sallies.

biggimp
06-08-2004, 11:10 PM
nonono, they're jennifers.

ElPietro
06-09-2004, 07:32 AM
Did you see them come off the same assembly line? Sometimes brand will at least indicate quality. People wear chucks, people know chucks. How do you know your imitation chucks didn't come off some mass producing assembly line in mexico run by renee's family, where the workers are paid 5 cents a day, and there is no quality control, and cheapest materials used? Is that what you want on your feet with hundreds of pounds on your back?

Anyway, I don't care, just don't say you wore your Chucks to the gym foo! Maybe you could call them Chumps instead! :p

Budiak
06-18-2004, 02:06 AM
Chump! Buh-ZING!

BTW, I wear chucks.