PDA

View Full Version : WBB's Professional Hobbit

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Focused70
12-24-2003, 03:11 PM
On certain days, that's what I feel like, the mighty SobaSLUGGARD. (Because when I was growing up, my mom would come into my room and kick me out of bed. I LOVE sleeping. :eek: )

Behold my piddling journal which will hopefully grow into something worthy among all y'all worthies out there. (j/k)

Full disclosure: 32, 6'1", 140.5 (weighed that morning). Yuck. I think I win the award for thinnest member of this site.

Monday, December 22, 2003:

First day (EVER!) in a gym. All body workout. Can't remember poundages or specifics, but it was a total body workout except that we didn't do direct ab work or calves.

Standing barbell curls (just the bar) 2x12
Seated dumbell curls (prob. 10 lb. weights?) 2x12
Smith machine squats -- 2x12
Gravitron pullups -- 2x15
Dip machine -- 2x10 (I think)
Seated cable rows -- 2x15
Bench presses (free form) -- 2x12 (note that he (Elliot) was spotting me on most of these. I did 3 of the last set by myself...barely. :thumbup: )
the pec-dec machine. not sure what to call it. involved a wide angle movement that resulted in me bringing my arms together and squeezing my pecs. -- 2x12

I'm sure I'm missing one or two more things but this is what I can recall.

something that differed today (Wednesday) from Monday was that there was no warmup!!! :redface: Probably because I have a different trainer (Daniel). I actually managed to learn a few more things today than before. Also didn't help that Elliot was late. :mad:

Diet: Eating is not a problem for me. Sometimes I even amaze myself, in that I don't know where it all goes. :help:

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, triple peanut butter sandwich (three slices whole wheat bread, each side with pb, one side with strawberry jelly), glass soy milk, tangerine. I'm lactose intolerant, so I drink tons of soy milk. Tried Lactaid (gives me gas and diarrhea), tried dried milk (more gas), soy milk seems the way to go. Cheese and yogurt is all right, because the lactose is for the most part gone.

Meal 2: Post-workout shake.

Meal 3: can of water-packed tuna, glass of soy milk. cup of plain yogurt. (Not a fan of fruity yogurt, there always seems to be more protein in the unsweetened version. Plus I've developed a taste for it.)

Meal 4: 3 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast, smeared with a 1/2 T. of EVOO and seasoned with lime salt and turmeric. Roasted potatoes. Steamed broccoli. A banana.

Meal 5: Cottage cheese with peanuts and raisins. A tangerine. Glass of soy milk.

Not shown: TONS of water, drunk throughout the day. Either tap or bottled water. Have a HUGE vat of bottled water that I have delivered every week. Time to put it to good use. On weeks when I don't have it delivered, I pick up a six pack of oversized bottles of Poland Spring at my local food mart.

------
Tuesday, December 23: Man oh man, Tryska, I hate you. :whazzup: DOMS hell. Well, not as bad as the first time I worked out (w/o weights). Actually I think it started a couple of hours after the session. S'ok, don't mind me.

141 lbs. yesterday morning. Yay, an entire .5 lbs.

Meal 1: Cup of plain yogurt. Triple peanut butter sandwich. Banana and tangerine. Glass of vanilla soy milk.

Meal 2: Cottage cheese, with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Can of water-packed tuna.

Meal 3: 2 bags of trail mix. Glass of plain unsweetened soy milk. Glass of orange juice.

Meal 4: 3 oz. of boneless skinless chicken breast. Steamed broccoli. Roasted tomato and onion. Leftover roasted potatoes. Glass of soy milk.

Meal 5: Protein shake. (mixed this with soy milk) A banana.

TONS of water throughout the day. But definitely not 3 liters worth prior to beddie time. :thumbup:

----------
Wednesday, December 24:

143 lbs. this morning. Yeah, we know what's going on on the down low.

Not as sore this morning as before. Well, delts and arms (specifically bis) are still a bit so will lay off of them today. Need to write down WBB #1, will start that on Friday.

First thing's first: Elliot didn't show. Strike 1 against him. (Later, he calls me around 3:30 saying he got the message late. Hm. Well, if he didn't call, I'd be ready to switch but the problem is that I'd already bought a 5 pack with him. But I digress.)

Daniel, the replacement trainer they gave to me put me through a leg/back routine. This time, had a warm up and stretch routine. I think in the future, I'll get to the gym 30 min. beforehand and do warmups (either presses or the bike thingie) and do stretches before I meet with my trainer. I fully believe in carpe diem. You know, carpe diem? Well, carpe THIS!

Leg press -- 3x15 @ 90 lbs.
Medicine ball squats -- 3x15 @ bw

I had problems doing regular squats since I kept bringing my heels up off the floor, so I've been told to do something that will help correct the movement and improve things as I go along. Also, should know that when I was born, I had corrective surgery on my right leg. I was born with a club foot, and couldn't walk for a year. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but my stance was noticeable when I was doing the squats.

Leg extensions -- 2x15 @ 35 lbs.
Leg curls -- 2x12 @ 35 lbs.

Seated cable rows -- 2x15 @ 20 lbs.
Pull-ups (machine assisted) -- 2x12-15 (on the 18 peg thingie)

then did a cool down.

Question: Dan told me to work abs once or twice a week. Ppl here seem to favor working them once a week. That ok?

I need to learn proper form. At least some of it is bleeding through. Need to squeeze shoulders and back more when I'm doing rows. Need to time things correctly when I'm doing extensions so as not to slam the weight down.

Did my BMR. Also found that not all PTs are built differently. :mad: Dan calculates BMR and caloric plan for his clients. Elliot didn't do that the first time around. Hm, a lot of things he didn't do the first time around. D is a certified nutritionist and PT. Oh well, live and learn. That's what y'all are here for.

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, triple PB sandwich, glass of soy milk, banana.
Meal 2: Protein shake (post-workout)
Meal 3: Peanuts, glass of water, cup of yogurt.
Meal 4: Not yet.
Meal 5: Not yet.

Comments, please

I turn 33 as of midnight tonight. Go me!

Soba

Focused70
12-24-2003, 03:24 PM
this is me.

Not a bad mug at 32/33, eh? :D

Now all I need is some meat on dem bones.

Soba

edit: I knew I was forgetting something. They say that once you hit 30, your brain is good as gone. :read: My long term goal is to be 150 and muscular by end of 2004. My short term goal (and there are so many to choose from!) is to be able to perform exercises correctly, with proper form, without the assistance of a trainer. My short term goal (weight wise) is to be 145 and muscular.

pruneman
12-24-2003, 03:39 PM
:hello: Welcome to the boards and happy birthday. Good luck with the new journal and with your goals. You will find plenty of encouragement and solid advice here!

midee1
12-24-2003, 08:19 PM
Well your close to my age. But I have eaten things bigger than you for breakfast. :evillaugh

Just kiddin. Poke around here and we will help as much as possible.

As for abs I work mine every damn day I go to the gym. Cause I'm 34yo 5'11" and 215lbs. (lots-o-fat) :)

Focused70
12-25-2003, 09:55 AM
Thursday, December 25:

The worst part about sleeping (for me, anyway) is waking up. With me, there's never too much sleep. heh.

Weighed 144.5 after the inevitable bathroom ritual. Gee, 4 lbs. in four days, I wonder how much of that is fat.

Residual soreness in my arms, some soreness in my delts. Don't feel it in my back or legs, but I'm pretty sure something's coming down the road.

Drinking a shake now. Fortunately the soy milk actually gives it some flavor so it doesn't taste too much like a fast food shake.

Question: for the WBB #1 routine, no poundages are given. What's a good starting poundage for some of these? I already know my starting bench weight -- just the bar, folks.

Soba

PS. Merry xmas, blah blah blah. Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday. Me, I'm just glad I'm 33. :fart:

PPS. food so far today:

Meal 1 (tried a different tack to see how things go): protein shake (w/soy milk), a banana and an orange. Glass of OJ.

Meal 2: 1 c. cottage cheese mixed with 2 cans of water-packed tuna, green Tabasco sauce and lime salt.

Meal 3: Trail mix, cup of plain yogurt, banana and a tangerine. (hey, I'm partial to citrus and bananas)

Meal 4: Steak tonight, roasted cauliflower, couscous. (If you've never had roasted cauliflower, it's amazing when all it is is just a broken up head of cauliflower that you pop into an oven at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. I prefer to roast it with about 2 to 3 T. of olive oil. Maybe a sprinkle of kosher salt. That's it.)

Dunno about meal 5 yet. Prob a shake.

Not shown: all the water you can possibly drink and more.

Soba

Tryska
12-26-2003, 08:23 AM
soba you are a cutie!

i mentioned elsewhere that the 4lbs is probably not fat at all since you would have to be eating 3600 above your maintenance cals in order to do that, and i'm sorry but i jsut don't see that in your food log.

in any case - don't hate on me for the DOMS - you need to learn to love it. let the masochist in you shine. ;)

congrats on starting a journal - here's some :spam:

JeffWillConquer
12-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Lookin forward to reading this.

Focused70
12-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Friday, December 26:

146 today. 5.5 lbs in 5 days -- there had better be SOMETHING under all that water weight. :whip:

Today is step #1 of the WBB 1 workout, except that since I did back on Wednesday and my bis haven't fully recovered since Monday (whenever I extend my arms, there's a dull soreness in them), I'm doing chest and tris (also another rec from good old Tryska). So it'll be chest and triceps on Day 1, legs and shoulders on Day 3 (Monday), back and biceps on Day 5 (Wednesday) and abs at random. I think Monday is a good day for punishment, eh? Full disclosure -- I've always LOVED doing ab work. Otoh, my roommate loathes them. So there is light at the end of the tunnel....a strobe light, that is. :evillaugh

This afternoon's workout was pretty good but then again all my workouts seem pretty good cuz I have no benchmark to compare them to. I suppose that'll change down the road. God, I hope so. From what I was doing, it seemed better than Wednesday. I let my trainer know that eventually what I want to do is start lifting heavy. So anyway, here goes (in the order that I did them):

Flat bench dumbell press -- 1x15 @ 10 lbs., 1x18 @ 10 lbs.
Incline bench dumbell press -- 1x15 @ 10 lbs., 1x18 @ 10 lbs.
Dips on the gravitron machine -- 2x12, 1x15 (each @ 30% of my bodyweight)
Tricep machine with buckle -- 1x15 @ 35 lbs., 1x20 @ 35 lbs.
Tricep pressdowns -- 3x12 @ 20 lbs.
Hammer Strength chest machine -- 2x10 @ 10 lbs.
Bench press -- 1x8, 1x6 (just the bar). Could barely do the last three of the second set.

Something tells me that I should begin with the bench press and move on from there in order of decreasing difficulty. A bit of input please.

Food so far today -- will update later:

Meal 1: omelette made of 2 egg whites and 2 whole eggs; 2 slices whole wheat toast; glass soy milk; a tangerine.

Meal 2: post-workout shake mixed w/20 oz. of soy milk

Meal 3: 2 mini-tubs of cottage cheese topped with red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and leftover roasted cauliflower

Meal 4: Not yet.

Meal 5: Not yet.

TONS of water. TONS. Before I started working out, water was my favorite drink. Still is, either bottled or tap. I don't drink, not because I don't like alcohol but because I can't metabolize it properly. (Plus, everyone knows that until recently, off-the-shelf American beer sucks anyway. :p )

Don't forget to carpe diem.

Soba

Focused70
12-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Pruneman -- thanks for the words of encouragement.

Midee1 -- all you have to remember is that it's just a mind thing. Lose it and they will come (and marvel at you, that is. =P)

Tryska -- let's hope that that holds true for me at 40. heheheh

JeffWC -- sit back and relax. it's going to be a nice roller coaster ride. don't forget to bring me back to reality every once in a while. =P

*waves at the peanut gallery*

Soba

Saint Patrick
12-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Not bad for a newbie.

Do yourself a favor, and start doing deadlifts. I trained for about a year before starting deadlifts, and that's one of my biggest regrets.

Focused70
12-26-2003, 02:41 PM
St. P -- thanks man. Deadlifts are actually on the menu on Monday. =O

Soba

chops
12-26-2003, 02:50 PM
hi there ,

good luck ! and happy birthday :)

i saw that you are following wbb1 which has 6-8 reps for most sets. i saw that for many of sets, you are doing reps of 15-20 per set. if you can complete that many reps for a certain weight, you should increase the weight.

Bench press -- 1x8, 1x6 (just the bar). Could barely do the last three of the second set

that's the right idea :thumbup:

Focused70
12-26-2003, 03:22 PM
So is the ideal for WBB 1, 6 to 8 reps of your ideal starting off weight? So I should, theoretically, be doing 6 to 8 @ say 20 lbs. instead of the 12 to 15 @ 10 lbs.?

Bench press was only 1x8 and 1x6 because I did those last instead of first. Should note that when I did the Hammer Strength thing, I could barely complete the last few reps of the second set. At one point, I was cursing Elliot to his face. hah.

Thanks, chops.

Soba

PS. Oh yeah, even though the above doesn't show, I warm up for 10 to 15 min. on a bike machine (did level 3 today -- plan is to get to level 10 eventually) and do stretches pre and post workout. Figure if the PT's only there for an hour, he's gonna phucking earn every minute of that hour!!! All I need is someone to show me the ropes and I'm good to go by myself. Still need someone to spot me, but I don't need a trainer for that.

JeffWillConquer
12-26-2003, 04:43 PM
For the record, I started off benching the bar in the summer and a few months later i'm doing about 60 pounds heavier than that, so you will surely move up a lot.

But yeah, on your dumbell presses and other excersizes you should be doing lower rep higher weight. Nice workout though.

Focused70
12-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Saturday, December 27:

Ugh, 144.5 this morning.

Hung out with a friend of mine until about 4 am and then trudged home to sleep. Got up around 11:30. *resolves to not let that happen again*

Blah day. Did work around the house. Course, around mid-afternoon my tris and chest feel like crap. Good and sore, but still crap. Ooh, I know what the soreness means and like it, otoh I ****ing love to complain (but you can ignore that part). Sore but crappy.

Meal 1: 4 egg white omelette, glass of soy milk, whole wheat toast, a pear.

Meal 2: a mini-tub of cottage cheese, glass of soy milk.

Meal 3: 3 oz. broiled skinless boneless chicken breast. Couscous. Roasted tomatoes and mushrooms. Apple cider.

Meal 4: My sushi fix: chirashi sushi -- Japanese rice topped with assorted raw fish and seaweed. Hiyyakko tofu -- cubes of silken tofu topped with shaved bonito, minced scallions, pickled ginger. Green tea.

Meal 5: Protein shake w/soy milk before beddie time.

TONS of water all day.

Sleep -- went to bed around 2:30 am, just got up an hour ago. Definitely feel better, plus some of that soreness went away. Still sore, but not so crappy anymore.

----------
Sunday, December 28:

146.5 this morning. The upward march continues. Translation: Most likely a gain of half a lb. of muscle this past week, but I don't really know for sure.

Will update meals later. Tomorrow is shoulder and leg day. Joy. :hello:

Meal 1: PB&J sandwich (whole wheat bread, organic peanut butter (peanuts/salt), strawberry jelly), glass of soy milk, cup of yogurt, a banana.

edit: nonfat yogurt = MUCHO CRAPOLA!!!!

Meal 2: a mini-tub of cottage cheese topped with a can of sardines in tomato sauce. (54 g protein, 6 g carb, 20 g fat)

Meal 3: cup of yogurt, a pear, handful of peanuts.

Meals 4 and 5: not yet.

Soba

chops
12-28-2003, 11:07 AM
imo a weight that you can do for more than 12-15 reps is for maintenance. to gain muscle, when i can get 12 reps at a weight, i will move up the weight. this is what i do though. for someone else, they might decide to move up the weight once they can complete 8 reps and this may work better for them.

for wbb1, the idea is low volume but as heavy as you can. so yes, use a weight heavy enough that you can't do more than 8 per set.

chops
12-28-2003, 11:08 AM
i thought i'd see you slurping a bunch of soba in your diet based on your name, lol.

Focused70
12-28-2003, 11:34 AM
chops -- just realized it after folks pointed it out above. I have to mention that to my trainer. He's all about building stamina, hence the high reps and low weight. My dilemma -- I need someone to show me what to do and how to do it, but at the same time I'm getting conflicting advice from him. I showed him the routine and he says I could do more, but I don't think he realizes the point of WBB #1. He says I need to build stamina (which is true as well). So...a little help would be appreciated.

A pity that knowledgeable PTs aren't always available.

Soba

pruneman
12-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Hey Soba, just stopping in to say hi :hello: IMO the best way to build stamina is to do cardio. I find that maintaining good cardiovascular health helps me keep the intensity of my weight training sessions high because i do not fatigue as quickly. BTW i like your journal bro. Keep up the hard work. Diet looks ace. :thumbup:

Tryska
12-29-2003, 08:33 AM
well i can see the point of doing high reps with low weights in the beginning, since you've never weight-trained before. this helps you concentrate or form. when things start feeling familiar, or they are not challenging anymore tho, drop those reps and up the weights.

and yes - by all means, do the bench first - ideally you want to be able to give fresh horses to your large compound movements (bench, deadlift, squats) and do the rest of the lifts after that.

Darracq
12-29-2003, 09:18 AM
I was 143 just a couple weeks back about the same height. Dont worry about getting fat just eat everything.
WBB#`is a good workout just stick with it. Follow the sets and reps they recomend.Try to go very close to failure and add weight every workout. You can get big and strong it will just take a lot of time.

chops
12-29-2003, 12:07 PM
i think cardio can be used to build stamina too. is building stamina one of YOUR primary goals though? it doesn't sound like it is, so maybe you and your trainer need to get on the same page.

Focused70
12-29-2003, 01:54 PM
Monday, December 29:

146.5 this morning. I got home at 3 am from having decided to see RotK again (11:20 showing) so picked up a protein shake from the store instead of making it at home cuz I didn't want to wake my roommate up. That was Meal 5, Meal 4 having been my birthday dinner at a place called Prune in the East Village. Cheated a bit in that I actually had dessert and other stuff I wouldn't be caught dead eating any other time of the year (roasted marrow bones, anyone? :thumbup: :omg: )

hah.

Sleep -- woke up at 11:30 am. Too bad there's only 24 hours in a day. :hump:

Today was leg and shoulder day. As I was leaving the gym, I felt so worked, but not worked enough that I couldn't walk. Actually feel things burning now so maybe that's a good thing. Told Elliot that eventually I want to get to the point where my legs are screaming so much that I can't go to work much less walk. :thumbup:

What other types of warmup stuff can I do? I've been told not to go on the bike or the treadmill. I did the bike thing for 11 minutes, enough to get my heart rate to 141.

Today's workout:

Overhead press machine -- 3x4 @ 50 lbs., 1x2 @ 65 lbs. (next time will prob start at 40 instead of 50. Could barely do them at 50, needed assistance)

Overhead dumbell presses -- 1x8 @ 20 lbs., 2x4 @ 25 lbs. (these were weird. I felt like I could do them, yet I was struggling with the 25 lb. dumbells. might start with 10 lbs. to warm up and then move on to 20 lbs. next time.)

Squat machine -- 1x6 @ 50 lbs., 2x8 @ 80 lbs.

Smith squat machine -- 1x6 @ 60 lbs., 2x8 @ 80 lbs.

Seated calf raises -- 1x25 @ 20 lbs., 1x25@ 40 lbs., 1x30 @ 40 lbs. I flexed my calves at the top of each raise.

Standing calf raises (using the squat machine) -- 1x30 @ 60 lbs., 2x40 @ 60 lbs. (last 10 of the middle set, my calves were on fire :thumbup: I think I did the last set out of sheer willpower. I've always loved leg exercises more than upper body stuff. Flexed and held my calves for 1 second at the top of each raise.)

Wednesday is back, biceps and abs. :scratch:

Phuuuuuud:

Meal 1: 4 egg omelette (made of 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites), 2 slices organic whole wheat bread, 1 glass of soy milk, a banana.

Meal 2: Protein shake (w/soy milk and reduced low fat milk -- trying it out even though I know I'll pay for it down the road (I'm lactose intolerant but every so often I like to push the envelope. :zipit: )

Meal 3: A can of water-packed tuna and TONS of water. A pear to top things off.

Meal 4: Broiled steak, couscous, steamed zucchini. Apple cider. Even more water.

Meal 5: Prob. gonna be a bedtime shake with some PB and a banana for kicks.

MUCHO AGUA of course.

Oh yeah, carpe diem!
Soba

Tryska
12-29-2003, 02:00 PM
as good as roasted marrow sounds - i believe i will be staying away from that and any foray into sweetbread territory until this whole bse thing goes away. ;)

anyway - give Organic Valley lactose free milk a try. I've been using it with success lately.

btw - jealous of you and rotk - caught up on lotr 1&2 this past weekend and i'm ready, but no dinero.

pruneman
12-29-2003, 02:04 PM
What other types of warmup stuff can I do? I've been told not to go on the bike or the treadmill. I did the bike thing for 11 minutes, enough to get my heart rate to 141.

I think that doing a few minutes on the bike to get your heart rate up and to get the blood flowing to your legs is a fine way to warm up for a leg session. Typically for a warmup i will do whatever exercise i am warming up for using very light weights and do between 12-15 reps (easy).

Your sessions are looking nice and your diet is right on. Only thing i might suggest is buying some dextrose and having a dextrose/protein shake PWO.
I enjoy reading your journal...keep up the hard work :thumbup:

prune

Focused70
12-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Just want to point out, the squat machine is the one where you stand on an angle, so you're elevated at a 30 degree angle instead of being on the ground.

I somehow managed to take everyone's lessons to heart and did my squats using proper form. Amazed myself.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone. In particular, chops, managed to straighten the stamina point with Mr. E. I love soba -- it's a bit easy to go overboard with it sometimes. Beats udon anytime.

Soba

Focused70
12-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Tuesday, December 30:

Weighed in at 148 this morning. This is the MOST I have ever weighed in my entire life. Ready for some new ground, methinks.

Shoulders and legs are sore but in a good way. Mostly calves. Have a feeling I could've done more yesterday with my thighs. We'll see though. I'm having PT blues. The PT operation is a slick system -- they show you just enough to get by and hold back on things in the hopes that you buy more time from them.

Sleep was so-so. People are doing work in the apartment above so I was woken up an hour earlier than I would've liked.

Phuuuuud:

Meal 1: PB sandwich on whole wheat bread, glass of soy milk, cup of plain yogurt, a banana.

Meal 2: 2 cups cottage cheese, topped with spaghetti sauce.

Meal 3: Glass of soy milk, salami and swiss cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread, handful of peanuts.

Meal 4 and 5: Not yet. Feel like chicken tonight tho.

Back/bis/abs tomorrow. Which means I go to bed around 9 pm tonight so I can be up at 6 tomorrow. Morning workout. (ugh) :swear: Have to be in the office at 9:30 -- well its been a long vacation so I guess I can't complain. That and it'll be dead tomorrow (prob less than 1/5 lawyers in the office, so maybe, just maybe I'll be able to jet early).

Soba

Focused70
12-31-2003, 09:09 AM
Wednesday, December 31:

Overslept this morning. :swear: Meant to get up at 6 am and instead woke up at 7:45 to the sound of my phone ringing. Was supposed to meet Elliot at the gym at 7. :redface:

Oh well, went off anyway and worked out by myself (which was good because I need to be pushed out of PT land and into solo mode).

Deadlifts -- 2x8 @ the bar. (Bar weighs 45 lbs. or so)
Chin-ups (assist machine) -- 2x8 (can't remember what weight...; I do know it wasn't the gravitron machine this time. definitely more difficult.)
Seated cable rows -- 1x8 @ 30 lbs. (warm-up), 2x8 @ 50 lbs.
"Sevens" -- 1x8 @ 10 lbs. (warm-up), 2x8 @ 15 lbs.
Hammer curls -- 2x6 (10 lb. dumbells each; could barely do the last rep of the second set; my biceps were fried at that point)

Question: What exactly does the deadlift work? I felt like I worked my thighs more than anything else. Lower back?

"Sevens" are sort of like a combination full barbell curl/quarter bb curl/quarter bb curl except that each set consists of three movements of seven reps per movement. I may just do bb curls next time. I think I have the hang of proper form for a bb curl (no swinging, elbows close to my sides, etc.). What is it with these PT?!?!

Phuuuuud:

Meal 1: Post workout shake (w/soy milk and a couple T. of peanut butter for kicks)

Meal 2: Cup of cottage cheese, 2 hardboiled eggs, hashbrowns, grapefruit juice.

Meal 3: This was supposed to be chicken parmesan. It ended up being marinated chicken breast, then grilled. Steamed broccoli. Cup of pearl couscous. WATER.

Meal 4 and 5: Not yet, but I feel like more chicken tonight.

Oh, and I weighed 150.5 this morning. I've reached my target weight, but it's not all muscle. :scratch: Ah well, I suppose I can't complain too much. hah.

Soba

PS. Crunches tonight when I get home. By the time I got out of the gym it was 9:05. Being on time at work is more important than my abs (which can wait till later.)

briancurran01
12-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Nice work buddy.

Keep at it. I am pretty new to working out also. I am trying to lose weight and gain muscle. Check out my journal if you like it is called bri's journal.

I have been at it almost 2 months and can definitely see improvement. Seems like you have the most important thing...motivation and dedication!!!

Again Nice work bro.

Tryska
12-31-2003, 09:21 AM
good work getting yourself to the gym, and training on your own soba! your workout looks very good as well.

deads work your thighs, butt, and trunk area (including low back and erectors). great exercise. some people feel it in their thighs more, some feel it in their back more. wait a couple days and tell me where you are sore. ;)

Focused70
12-31-2003, 09:23 AM
Brian: Thanks for stopping in. Fasten your seatbelt and take a number. :nod:

Tryska: Had a PT show me what to do. May need specific guidance in doing deads. So many things to keep straight!!! There was something about keeping my arms above my legs? Or not between my legs? Can't remember. He (Ollie) seemed a little against deads, saying they have the potential to mess up your back unless you do them properly. I have to go look at the video again. Also should I be flat footed? If so, I have to stand wider apart because if I position my feet close together I end up raising my heels off the floor.

Oh, and ask me again when I reach the two month mark. :thumbup:

Soba

Saint Patrick
12-31-2003, 09:51 AM
Meal 1: Post workout shake (w/soy milk and a couple T. of peanut butter for kicks)

You really ought to eat something before lifting. Some carbs for energy would be a good idea.

Tryska
12-31-2003, 10:11 AM
you should take a wide stable stance - start with feet shoulder width apart at first, and see how that works for you.

as for grip - umm..that depends on you. how far apart you want your hands, whether the grip is over/under/opposed - you might want to d a searhc in the training forum - (both powerliufting and bodybuildign) for deadlifts - there's tons of threads where people go into the minutae of stance.

suffice to say my preference is a sumo dead with an opposing grip.

Focused70
12-31-2003, 10:20 AM
St. P: yeah I thought on my way to the gym that I should at least have downed something but I'll make a note next time. Usually do, but that wasn't on my mind at that moment this morning. There was a pre-workout shake all good to go too, in the refrig.

Tryska: used an over/under grip this time.

Note: seem to be getting the balance issues out of the way. Note that I did "sevens" today without the bar going one way or another. Check back next week when I add weight to the bar for bb curls.

Soba

midee1
12-31-2003, 01:00 PM
Lookin good man. Looks like you are thinking things thru and are not rushing into anything. Right now is when you stand to make your greatest gains. I think that's how the iron bug gets us. :nod:

Focused70
12-31-2003, 01:55 PM
midee: Thanks, buddy. I'd love to be 150 and muscular. Just staring at my biceps isn't doing much, even though I visualize the end result during each and every set. **** that, I just want to be muscular, dammit.

(begin whine) Why does it have to take 6 weeks until results start coming in? (end whine.) (Would you like some cheese with your whine?)

hah.

Soba

Focused70
12-31-2003, 03:05 PM
oh, just something before I forget:

the routine is more or less WBB #1, except that day 1 is chest and triceps, day 3 is legs and shoulders and day 5 is back and biceps. Abs on any day I want to do them.

seems to work just fine, no complaints yet.

ask me again in about two months tho. =O

Soba

Focused70
01-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Thursday, January 1:

Well, I ended up hanging out with friends until 7:30 am. So much for promises, hah.

Ended up going to bed and waking up around 2 pm. At least it was a rest day, so didn't lose too much weight from an inverted schedule.

Weighed in at 150.

Meal 1: Leftover cassoulet from the night before. Cassoulet is your typical baked beans for grownups. Traditional style, made in three days: white beans soaked overnight, braised beef, sausages, duck confit. Also a glass of soy milk and 2 cups cottage cheese, topped with hot sauce.

Meal 2: Can of water-packed tuna, handful of peanuts.

Meal 3: Chirashi sushi, miso soup, tuna sashimi, green tea. A banana.

Meal 4: 3 oz. broiled skinless boneless chicken breast, couscous, mushroom salad. More soy milk.

Didn't drink as much water as I would've liked. Gonna correct that today (Friday).

-------------
Got lots of sleep last night and woke up at 7:30 this morning.

Friday, January 2, 2004:

Weighed in at 149.5, back on track.

Meal 1: Breakfast burrito (scrambled eggs, spinach, mushrooms). Cup of plain yogurt, one sausage link, a banana. Grapefruit juice.

Meal 2-5: Not yet, will update later.

Tomorrow is chest/triceps. Go me.

Soba

Tryska
01-02-2004, 09:21 AM
hey....weren't you hoping to be 150 by the end of this year? (2004)

Focused70
01-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Tryska: That's 150 and MUSCULAR. At this point, there isn't that much muscle on my bod. If you think about it, I'd probably gained about 1 lb. of muscle since starting this whole business. So while I look slightly better (understatement alert), there's still a long way to go. I imagine I'll probably bulk up as much as I can before I begin to cut, but with the way my metabolism works, cutting should be the last thing on my mind anyway. =)

Soba

Tryska
01-02-2004, 11:32 AM
ahh...i see...150lbs of PURE BEEF.

Coke
01-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Keep at it bro, nothing from nothing will leave nothing...one day you will be making some gains mang - :D

briancurran01
01-02-2004, 04:55 PM
soba...you will get it buddy just keep what you are doing. I will be glad to pass you some of my weight as i lose it :) that should help ya. I got 12 pounds to toss you so far want it?? :)

midee1
01-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Hey Soba I'm with Brian. I got about 30lbs to toss ya if ya need it. :strong:

Focused70
01-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Brian, midee, CoCoa and Tryska: thanks folks, you are da shiznits, as Christopher Walken would say. =P

Soba

Focused70
01-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Meals from Friday (continued):

Meal 2: Couple of hardboiled eggs, a soup cup full of water-packed tuna with a little Italian dressing; beef stew over noodles; steamed zucchini. Lunch didn't seem very appetizing so I made do with what I could from our corporate cafeteria.

Meal 3: Trail mix, cup of yogurt, handful of peanuts.

Meal 4: Broiled sirloin steak, cup of couscous, leftover steamed squash. Banana.

Meal 5: Protein shake for beddie time.

Much agua, of course.

----------
Saturday, January 3, 2004:

Weighed in at 150 this morning.

AMAZING workout today. As I sit here, typing this, my triceps are BOMBED. outnumber

Hey, HY, instead of being a personal trainer, you should go into the marketing business. Bottle that pump and sell it as a gym supplement. :burger:

Bench press -- 2x6 @ 50 lbs.
Incline bench press -- 1x6 @ 20 lbs., 1x6 @ 50 lbs. (needed assistance for most of the 2nd set)
Seated dumbell press -- 2x6 @ 50 lbs.
Overhead chest presses -- 2x10 @ 25 lbs.
Hammer Strength chest machine -- 2x4 @ 30 lbs.

Dips on the gravitron machine -- 2x12 @ 30 lbs.
Dip machine -- 1x8 @ 35 lbs. (warmup), 1x8 @ 40 lbs., 1x8 @ 65 lbs.
Tricep pressdowns -- 1x6@ 20 lbs., 1x6 @ 35 lbs. (again, needed assistance on the second set)
Tricep extensions -- 1x6 @ 12 lbs. (each arm)

Crunches -- 4x10

Analysis: Seems like I have more strength on my triceps than my chest, so have to work chest and delts more.

Phuuuuuuud:

Meal 1: 5 egg white omelette, glass of soy milk, cup of plain yogurt. I'd have had some toast but had to throw it out since it was um...gross.

Meal 2: Post-workout shake.

Meals 3 to 5: Not yet, but steak's on the menu tonight.

Focused70
01-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Meals from Saturday (continued):

Meal 3: Huge bowl of trail mix, a pear and a yogurt shake to chase it down.

Meal 4: Steak, couscous, salad. More agua.

Meal 5: Protein shake.

-------
Sunday, January 4, 2004: Ate all day, non-stop. Behold, the amazing WBB bottomless pit. :p

Weighed in at 150. Scale must be broken....hmmm.

Meal 1: 4 egg white/1 whole egg omelette, couple pieces ww bread, glass soy milk, cup o' yogurt, a tangerine.

Meal 1a: Had brunch with friends in Chinatown -- Sunday morning dim sum. (How I had room for this, I'll never know. hah.)

Meal 2: Bowl of trail mix, cup of yogurt, a banana.

Meal 3: Bowl of cottage cheese, topped with some water-packed tuna. More water.

Meal 4: 3 oz. broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, couscous, steamed broccoli. More water.

Meal 5: Protein shake. Water, water everywhere.

Sleep: 7.5 hours, sort of ok.

---------
Monday, January 5, 2004:

Weighed in at 153. Hm, sounds like I need to pick up a tape measure tonight. How much of this is muscle is beginning to worry me now. Ppl have told me not to worry too much about my weight in the first six months of training, but at the rate I'm gaining, my worry is that it's all FAT!!! 13 lbs. is unusual, I think, especially when I started doing this a little over 2 weeks ago...

Today is leg and shoulder day.

Squats: 1x6 @ 60 lbs. (warm-up), 2x8 @ 90 lbs. (These aren't FTA yet. Not yet comfortable or confident enough to do them FTA.)

Hack squats: 1x8 @ 50 lbs. (warm-up), 2x8 @ 70 lbs. (Question: should I do these with as much weight as regular squats? These were done on a 45 degree angle machine thingie.)

Leg curls: 2x6 @ 50 lbs.

Standing calf raises: 1x15 @ 50 lbs. (warm-up), 2x30 @ 100 lbs.

Shoulders were crappy. I've since learned that I should start with 5 lbs. instead of the weight I'm using.

Overhead press machine: 2x6 @ 20 lbs. (I felt like crap doing these.)

Seated dumbell presses: 1x6 @ 10 lbs., 1x5 @ 15 lbs. (Felt like more crap. God, my upper body strength sucks.)

:disagree:

Phuuuuud:

Pre-workout: A protein energy shake, a couple of tangerines.

Meal 1: Breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs, swiss cheese and spinach. Cup of plain yogurt, a banana, apple juice.

Meal 2: Cup of plain yogurt, a banana, handful of peanuts.

Meal 3-5: Not yet, but chicken's on the menu tonight.

Wednesday is back and biceps day. The good news is that I'm heavier. The bad news is that my shoulder strength bites.

Soba

clvmike19
01-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Youve made some great weight gains man. Keep up the big eating and lifting!

Focused70
01-06-2004, 04:20 PM
clvmike19: Thanks man. Welcome to the journal and take a number. =)

Just finished my 3rd cup of yogurt for the day. Talk about calcium overload.

Soba

Focused70
01-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Meals from Monday, continued:

Meal 3: Marinated chicken, rice, carrots. More water.

Meal 4: A banana, two Big N Tasty's. (Ok, I cheat on occasion. It was 7 pm and I hadn't eaten anything in 4 hours, so I got to a McD's and scarfed a couple down. What can I say, it gets busy at work sometimes.)

Meal 4a: Broiled boneless skinless chicken breasts, steamed broccoli.

Meal 5: Protein shake before bed.

--------
Tuesday, January 6:

Snuck a peek at the weight scale: 153. I have a feeling the water weight march is slowing down.

I'm in DOMS leg hell at the moment. Feels great. Shoulders weren't as sore this morning as they were yesterday, which is good because tomorrow is back and biceps. Might squeeze in some abs if I have time, otherwise I'll do those when I get home.

Meal 1: Cottage cheese topped with blanched almonds. Breakfast burrito w/scrambled eggs, sausage and peppers. Grapefruit juice. Water.

Meal 2: Cup o' yogurt, a banana, handful of sunflower seeds. More water.

Meal 3: Chicken w/spinach and cheese, orzo, brussel sprouts. Even more water.

Meal 4: 2 cups o' yogurt. (Did I mention how much I like yogurt? :eek: ) A banana. Glug.

Meal 5: Probably sushi tonight. Forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer....

Laterz, folks.

Don't forget to carpe diem....

Soba

Coke
01-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Great news about you picking up some weight - :thumbup:

Keep getting those sessions in bro!

Focused70
01-07-2004, 01:39 PM
CoCoa : Thanks man. Your support means a lot to me.

Wednesday, January 7, 2004:

Today is back/biceps/abs day. In retrospect, not exactly a stunning workout but not mediocre either. Sort of in-between. Now I know what to do and exactly how hard to push myself. Routine is shaping up. I think I'm going to drop deadlifts for now until I have more of a basic foundation...yes, I can hear the gasps here, but I don't feel comfortable doing them, plus I got more of a workout today than doing deads the first time around. Probably six months down the road I'll work them in but for now, they're out.

Bent over row machine -- this is the machine with a barbell pointed vertically, so what you end up doing is lifting the barbell towards you in a rowing motion: 2x8 @ 75 lbs. (Also, I'm assuming that people include the weight of the bar when they do their lifts. Otherwise, this is just 60 lbs.)

Pull-ups on the gravitron machine -- 2x10 @ 30% of 155
Lat pull-downs: 1x6 @ 80 lbs., 1x8@ 80 lbs.
Hammer Strength row machine: 1x6 @ 70 lbs., 1x8@70 lbs.

Barbell curl machine: 1x7@ 30 lbs., 1x8 @ 40 lbs.
Hammer curls: 2x8 @ 20 lbs.

Leg raises: 1x12, 1x15
Leg lifts: 1x8
Crunch machine: 2x10 @ 40 lbs.

Today was the last day I had with my PT. I really wanted to do crunches instead of those above, but I guess it's all good because I can work those in if I ever become bored with my ab work.

I'll probably use another PT down the road, like around the two month mark, but it'll be myself from here on in. :clap:

Phuuuud:

Meal 1 (pre-workout): A banana and a pear, energy drink.
Meal 1a (post-workout): Protein shake.

Meal 2: cottage cheese topped with almonds, a potato and asparagus frittata. Water.

Meal 3: pork loin, pasta, spinach. Tuna with Italian dressing. Water.

Meal 4-5: Not yet, but chicken's on the menu tonight.

Legs still sore....

Soba

briancurran01
01-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Nice work soba. You are getting into a nice routine

Focused70
01-10-2004, 01:39 PM
BIG DAWG -- Thanks, man. Unfortunately today sucked.

Chest workout!!!! What chest workout? Totally sucked eggs.

Forget the bench press. I tried to bench and my strength totally fled me. Not sure what happened, but time to go back to the Smith machine.

Bench press machine: 2x8 @ 35 lbs.
Seated dumbell presses: 2x6@ 30 lbs.
Overhead chest presses: 1x12 @ 20 lbs., 2x8 @ 25 lbs.

tried the Smith machine at least: 1x8 @ 35 lbs. So it wasn't a total loss. I still dunno what happened there. (this is, including the bar.)

--------
Tris:

Dips on the gravitron machine: 1x10@ 30 lbs. (30% of 151); 1x8@ 30 lbs.
Dip machine: 1x8 @ 50 lbs., 1x6 @ 65 lbs.
Tried to do tricep pressdowns but couldn't even get two reps. I suck.

Hopefully Monday won't be a washout.

Diet over the past two days -- I need to either get up or eat differently. Difficult to do while at work, things have become busy so when I'm busy I usually forget to eat. Have to remember though -- funny, I usually don't have a problem with eating.

Phuuud for today, Saturday, January 10:

Meal 1: 5 egg white omelette, cup of yogurt, glass of soy milk, two pieces ww bread, a tangerine.

Meal 2: Protein shake (post-workout)

Meal 3-5: Not yet but chicken's on tonight.

Soba

ps. oh, and my weight's fluctuating between 151 and 155.

Coke
01-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Don't sweat it...part of it is just getting a session in - It really means much so just keep training bro - :)

Focused70
01-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Gonna be off my feet for quite a while. (sigh)

Had an accident this past Monday as I was changing a ceiling light bulb, fell off the step ladder and landed hard on my left foot. Think I may have a calc fracture but hope not. Have an MRI this upcoming Monday. Hope things aren't too bad. Not a lot of pain, just tender spots around my heel area. I'm keeping off my feet and practicing crutching.

Oh f*** crutching. Crutching sucks eggs man. I miss walking. :mad:

Soba

PS. At least legs and shoulders on Monday went well. Went up 10 lbs. in hack squats. Too bad because all that work went down the tubes since then. :mad: :bang:

Coke
01-14-2004, 09:17 PM
..be more careful dude - :D

You will be back at it in no time!

Tryska
01-15-2004, 07:20 AM
damn stash - that sucks!

i was wondering what happened to you - i guess at least be thankful it was your foot and not your skull?

Focused70
01-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Phear not, I will be back....eventually.

Update: MRI on Friday, got the films back. For those of you who aren't medically inclined, "MRI" stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging, which is a system of body imaging except that they use magnets to take a "picture" of the body that provides a more accurate image than any set of x-rays ever could.

The films show that I have a heel fracture, that while it sounds bad, isn't structurally damaging to the extent that I can't walk or run when I get back on track. It's the same sort of fracture that Latrell Sprewell had when he started playing. Diagnosis is that I need to stay off my feet for a month or so, and then some physical therapy down the line. A bit of good news (well two actually): No surgery will be required, and I can at least stand on both feet when I'm brushing my teeth.

Other than that, I'm still off my feet for a few weeks. (Dammit! I was never much of a couch potato to begin with. :soapbox: )

Can't carpe diem much while I'm sitting on my fat ass in front of the computer with one leg propped up on a pile of pillows and the other on the floor.

:soapbox:

Soba

briancurran01
01-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Dang soba. I am sorry this happened. Everybody is getting hurt. Drew is out with a shoulder break, i was laid up for a week in the hospital.

Just stay positive things will work out.

Focused70
02-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Well, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it's been almost a month since my injury and I really really hate just sitting around with my leg propped up. I have all this free time on my hands which I keep busy, doing stuff on my computer -- I run two weekly games on Open RPG -- what can I say, I'm a geek in every sense of the word -- but I can't train or do anything physical related until my heel heals up. I can't stand for very long and I've been told not to place any weight on my feet...for at least 6 weeks.

I'm trying to eat to compensate for not training, but it's difficult enough already hobbling around on crutches. To top it all off, I've been without gas for two weeks already because there's a gas leak in my building and Con Edison, not to mention my landlord, is taking their own sweet time in getting the leak fixed. No gas means no stove. Can't boil water, can't broil chicken. The irony is that I have food in the house, I just can't prepare some of it. And no clue when this will be resolved, either. I've been maintaining my weight at 146 which is about right, now that the water weight is gone.

Please help me. There's got to be something I can do to alleviate this feeling of helplessness. Now that I've been bitten by the iron bug, I really HATE not being able to work out or go to the gym while I'm incapacitated. I feel helpless and I f***ing can't stand it.

Thanks, guys.

Soba

rpffly
02-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Hey Soba,

Sounds like everything is coming in at once. If I was in your position, and I 'm not saying you should do this ;) , I'd try to sneak in some upper body work: bench, row. But hey, that's just me.

BTW, I remember you from the General Chat section and I found your debate to be rather healthy despite the negative responses you encountered. I dare you to return. :evillaugh

Focused70
02-05-2004, 07:33 PM
heh good one rpfly.

Maybe if I could figure out a way to climb two flights of stairs whilst on crutches, I'll do that.

Thanks for the words of support though. :spam:

Soba

Focused70
03-10-2004, 05:20 PM
*jingles in*

I'm not back. I have my first physical therapy appointment tomorrow. Well, it was supposed to have been this past Monday, but I overslept and woke up at 10:49, 2 hours waaaaaaaaay past. :omg:

Things are better now, kinda. I'm walking again, returned to work last week. Heel's still not in any condition for me to get to the gym. Very little pain if any, I'm just taking it easy, walking slowly (with a cane and wearing cushion sneakers). Been told to stay off my feet as much as possible and to place as little pressure on the heel as I can. (Can't even do crunches. :mad: )

Have a mostly sedentary job, so I'm itching just to get into the gym and do something physical. I figure its one more month of this crap before I can get back in the saddle.

At least the weight's remained the same. (146 to 150 depending on what I've eaten that day.)

*jingles out*

Soba

-------
ps. HY, you look frickin amazing. I knew I should've started lifting when I was in my teens. :bow:

Focused70
04-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Sunday, April 4, 2004:

I totally forgot today was Daylight Savings Time. Evil evil evil, so I woke up at 11:30 instead of 10:30.

Today is my first day back in the gym after sitting on my skinny butt for three months. My PT (physical therapist) doesn't want me doing squats or upper leg work for the time being. :mad: I can compensate by doing medicine ball squats so at least it's not all bad.

PT sessions are twice a week, have been doing those for some time and consist mostly of calf raises (both standing and seated), calf stretches, medicine ball squats, standing leg lifts and other neato goodies all to get my left heel back in action. Walking with a cane is a huge improvement over crutches. The cane is just to get me used to walking at a slow pace instead of the fast pace I normally do -- 6'1" equals long legs.

Vertical chest presses: 1x8 @ 35 lbs., 1x8 @ 50 lbs.
Smith machine bench press: 1x8 @ 20 lbs., 1x8 @ 40 lbs.
Seated tricep press: 1x8 @ 65 lbs., 2x8 @ 80 lbs.
Tricep pressdowns: 1x8 @ 30 lbs., 2x8 @ 40 lbs.
Dips (gravitron): 1x20 @ 40% of 148 lbs, 2x10 @ same weight.

I feel like I need to get back into the swing of things. The ironic part is that I was just starting and then the accident happened.

Phuuud so far today -- egg white omelette/wheat toast/banana/soy milk; postworkout protein shake. Have dinner in the East Village in a couple of hours, probably bed tonight around 10.

I'm baaaaack, fwiw.

Soba

Tryska
04-05-2004, 07:18 AM
:clap: yay soba! i thought we'd lost ya for good. so glad you're back!

Focused70
04-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Tryska -- it's good to be back, you have no idea. So hopefully there won't be anymore fractured heels or other bodyparts in the near or distant future.

Funny how everything felt fine yesterday until this morning when I woke up. Whammo! Chest and tris are sore, hehehe. Good going so far. Weight's been holding about 146/148 since the accident, altho how much of that is fat I dunno. I have less to lose than many of you around here, hehehh.

Breakfast #1: shake w/ pb, yogurt and a banana added in;
Breakfast #2: lemon yogurt, breakfast burrito (eggs/ham/cheese), water.

Lunch is in a couple of hours. I usually eat around 1:30/2.

Dinner's gonna be leftover broiled chicken breast and pasta. (I make my dinner ahead when I can. All I have to do is fix some veg and I'm good to go.)

Going to try a new schedule and see where that goes for a bit: bed by 9, up by 6:30, gym from 7 to 8 (so I can be in the office at 9:30 am). Prior to the accident I found that morning workouts were better than afternoon or evening.

Soba

Focused70
04-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Tuesday, April 6, 2004:

Chest and tris aren't as sore today which is good b/c tomorrow am my back and bis are gonna hit the skids, as they say.

This am was back and bi day. My form sucks btw, so for the immediate future, I'm just concentrating on getting my form down pat. It kinda helps that the weight is just right.

Chin-ups (it was a machine type thingie, not sure what to call it): 2x8, 1x6
Seated lat pull-downs: 1x8 @ 30 lbs., 2x8 @ 40 lbs.
Bent-over rows: 2x8, 1x6 @ 45 lbs. (just the bar)
Seated cable rows: 1x8 @ 30 lbs., 1x8 and 1x6 @ 40 lbs.
Back extensions using a medicine ball: 2x8, 1x6. I'll prob do this for a bit longer to get my form right. I managed to do this relatively correctly compared to everything else.

I'm more concerned about strengthening my core before moving on to other things. A nice side benefit is that I can feel it correcting my posture already -- I've always had bad posture. It's kind of ironic that everything my mom said to me when I was younger is coming back to me now. :scratch: heheh.

Arms:

Standing dumbell curls: 1x8, 1x6 @ 5 lb. dumbell each. To facilitate learning correct form, I did these with my back and head to the wall, abs contracted, knees bent and legs forward.

Nautilus bicep machine curls: 1x8 and 1x4 @ 20 lbs. Gimped out on the last set. :eek:

Meal 1a: glass of soy milk and a banana
Meal 1b: protein shake
Meal 2: cup of yogurt, bowl of oatmeal, bowl of cottage cheese
Meal 3: broiled skinless boneless chick breast, rice, green beans, a banana.

Meal 4: not yet, but looks like steak tonight, some pasta and any veg I can pick up on the way home.

Meal 5: not yet, but I'll think of something special. :idea:

Talk to y'all later.

Soba

Focused70
04-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Wednesday, April 7, 2004:

I'm in DOMS hell. heheh. Is there some way to alleviate things other than all of the following: stretching, LOTS of water and a protein shake before bed? Just curious.

Oh, and did I mention I'm 152.5 as of this morning? Cool beans, eh? Next resolution is to weigh myself once a week. (I'm kind of a weight scale junkie.)

Meal 4 (from last night): Steak, lamb gyro, rice and veggies, more water and a banana.

Meal 5 (from last night): a protein shake for good measure.

----------
Meal 1 (right now as a matter of fact): breakfast burrito (scrambled eggs, roasted veggies), yogurt x2, a banana and water.

Meals 2 to 5: not yet, will update later.

No protein bars for me, not really into candy unless y'all can recommend something that doesn't taste like candy.

Soba

Focused70
04-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Sorry for not updating...

After Tuesday's workout, I was sore for several days...I mean SORE as in hurtin' like a mofo, so I took five days off and got back into the gym today.

Been keeping up on the food count so that's not a problem. Ask Tryska and she can tell you that food goes in and where it comes out, well only god knows that one.

I've decided to focus mostly on my form, strengthen my core and have enough base strength for me to hit the weights eventually. It's not enough for me to be able to bench press when I can't even stabilize the bar properly. If you were to take a look at me, you'd see my wrists are waaaaaaaay disproportionately thin compared to my forearms and arms. My upper body strength sucks compared to my lower body, and I have stabilization issues.

I can't remember exact poundages, those are on a chart at my gym, but here's what I did:

1. Leg press (2x10)
2. Leg extensions (2x10)
3. Reverse hamstring curls (2x10)
4. Overhead shoulder press (2x8)
5. Vertical chess press (1x10, 1x8)
6. Lat pulldown machine (2x10)
7. Bicep curl machine (1x8, 1x6)
8. Tricep extension machine (2x8)
9. Crunches (2x25)

The plan is to concentrate on Nautilus-type circuit machine training for about four to five weeks, about three times a week while increasing weight when possible. After that, I'll move on to free weights.

Still intend to do WBB #1; that hasn't changed. I just feel like I need more of a foundation so I can slip into a regular groove, and so I won't injure myself.

Soba

Focused70
04-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Oh, and sort of good news: I'm 153 @ 17.7% bodyfat.

Heh. :eek:

Soba

Focused70
04-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Wednesday, April 14, 2004:

Not too much to report:

1. Leg press (2x12 @ 150 lbs.)
2. Leg extensions (2x10 @ 70 lbs.)
3. Reverse hamstring curls (1x12 @ 65 lbs., 1x10 @ 70 lbs.)
4. Overhead shoulder press (1x8 @ 30 lbs., 1x8 @ 35 lbs.)
5. Vertical chess press (1x10 @ 50 lbs., 1x8 @ 50 lbs.)
6. Lat pulldown machine (2x10 @ 75 lbs.)
7. Bicep curl machine (1x6 @ 25 lbs. (left arm only), 1x8 @ 30 lbs. (both arms))
8. Tricep extension machine (1x10 and 1x8 @ 35 lbs.)

Later tonight, when I get home:

9. Crunches. I do these super slow, I mean SUPER SLOOOOW, like a leaf curling back and forth. Unlike my roommate who loathes ab work, I love ab work. If I could only just do ab work for the remainder of my workout career....heh.

Crunches and lower ab exercises on my days off. Minimal cardio, I get that just by walking to work. :thumbup: ...although I do warm up on the bike about five minutes prior to hitting the machines.

Phuuud is spot on for the moment....

Meal 1a: Glass of soy milk, bowl of cottage cheese.
Meal 1b: Post-workout shake.
Meal 1c: 2 cups of yogurt and a banana along with mucho agua.
Meal 2: Brisket, green beans, carrots. Mucho agua.
Meal 3: 2 cups of yogurt, a banana.
Meal 4: to come (feel like steak tonight).
Meal 5: to come...

Dinner is in three hours, talk to y'all later.

Soba

ElPietro
04-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Good job getting back at it, and maintaining a good diet. I know every time I injure myself badly I go back to probably the worst eating habits of my life.

Focused70
04-14-2004, 01:52 PM
El Pietro -- guten tag, dude. It's really just a strength training routine. I can feel some improvements already, although my biceps really need a good booster, being that my left side (ironically) is weaker than my right side. Oh well, we'll see whether I'm kidding myself when Friday rolls around.

At least my PT this time runs rings around the first PT I hooked with. She used to be a physical therapist in the Air Force before moving on to PTing.

Soba

Focused70
04-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Thursday, April 15, 2004:

Today is payday. ;)

(continued from last night)

Meal 4: broiled steak, Thai fried rice, mixed veggies with sriracha, WATER and a banana.

Meal 5: protein shake mixed with soy milk.

------------
Meal 1a: HUGE bowl of cottage cheese, glass of soy milk, a banana.
Meal 1b (as I type this): two cups of yogurt, breakfast burrito (scrambled eggs w/roasted veggies), agua.

Lunch is in two hours....heh.

PT (physical therapy) session tonight. The PT center I go to recently hired a new PT, since the one I was working with went to go train for an upcoming fitness event that takes place in Miami Beach. (Anyone know which one that is? heheh.) I almost gave her the URL of this web site but then I realized that Tryska would have some competition.... :nod:

Soba

Focused70
04-16-2004, 08:57 AM
BRING OUT THE GIMP!!!

Gimp's sleepin...

Well, you'll just have to go wake him now, won't ya? -- Pulp Fiction

Friday, April 16, 2004:

I felt like the Gimp this morning waking up.

Actually, I woke up around 6:20 am with a cramp in my right foot. I get these spasms every so often, have been since I was 12. I was like, what a wake up call. Went back to sleep and got up instead around 7:30... :cry:

1. Leg press (160x2)
2. Leg extensions (65X12, 80x10)
3. Reverse hamstring curls (75x10, 80x10)
4. Overhead shoulder press (35x8, 35x8)
5. Vertical chess press (50x8, 50x8, 65x4)
6. Lat pulldown machine (80x10, 80x8)
7. Bicep curl machine (35x8 (left arm only), 35x8 (both arms))
8. Tricep extension machine (35x10, 50x10)
9. Plank: this is an exercise where you suspend yourself with both elbows and forearms on the floor, legs straight, back straight, feet aligned, abs contracted. You hold this position for 20 to 25 seconds. Do this 2 to 3 times.

I'll do crunches later tonight (more like tomorrow morning.)

Meal 1a: bowl of cottage cheese, huge glass of soy milk.
Meal 1b: protein shake.
Meal 1c (what I'm having as I type this): bowl of oatmeal, an orange, and water.

Meal 2: chicken parmesan (basically a HUGE breaded breast of chicken with mozz and tomato sauce on top), roasted cauliflower, yellow rice. WATER.

Meal 3 (more of a snack really): couple of hard boiled eggs, a can of tuna with balsamic vin., and a banana.

Meals 4 and 5: Not yet. (will update later)

Oh, I do cheat on occasion. It's just that last night as I was craving a slice of pizza, I went across the street to find out that my local pizza parlor's closed. =( Maybe tonight I'll do something. =P

Gonna see Kill Bill tonight (volume 2). YAY!!!!

"If Pai Mei does not kill you, he will make you stronger."

Soba

Coke
04-16-2004, 09:09 AM
...it is nice to see you making further attempts in this game bro, don't sweat it - just be as consistent as possible. My main advice would be to break the body up some...legs here, back there, etc...lol - ;)

Focused70
04-16-2004, 09:27 AM
CoCoa: Tanks, man. I hear you, and I will -- once I feel I'm able to handle the weight. I figure about another week or two of this and I'll be able to slip into a regular weight training program. Just sit back and relax in the meantime. :hello:

Phuuud intake doesn't matter regardless of whether I'm lifting regularly or lifting like I'm doing now. =P

Soba

Focused70
04-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Monday, April 19, 2004:

Sunday afternoon, had an amazing workout: met with my PT for an hour of ab/core exercises (my "homework" for the week and stuff I can do on my off-days during a regular cycle). Many of these are Pilates-type exercises designed to develop balance while strengthening the core which will enable me to lift weights without worrying needlessly about balancing the bar, among other things. Picked up some tips on doing pushups (which in the past, I've never ever been able to do properly). As a result, while I was ok yesterday, today my abs -- in particular, my lower abs, are in high moderate DOMS hell. Like an idiot, I went ahead and did resistance training after the ab workout. Hah.

1. Leg press (180x10, 180x10) (edit: that's supposed to be 2 sets of ten reps @ 180 lbs. heh.)
2. Leg extensions (75X8, 85x7)
3. Reverse hamstring curls (70x8, 80x8)
4. Overhead shoulder press (25x6, 30x6) (I'm a gimp!)
5. Vertical chess press (50x8, 50x8)
6. Lat pulldown machine (80x8, 80x8)
7. Bicep curl machine (35x6 (left arm only), 30x4) (yes, it's true, I'm a gimp!)
8. Tricep extension machine (35x8, 55x8)

Well, we'll see on doing those pushups. Let me say right now that I hate, hate pushups with a passion. But gotta learn 'em, so...

Food is spot on as usual. Not hard to consume sufficient calories or protein at my bodyweight. :thumbup:

Tomorrow (Tuesday) evening is physical therapy with Irina, the new Russian physical therapist. Should be fun, in a masochistic kind of way. :hump:

Soba

Focused70
04-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Wednesday, April 21, 2004:

Yay. I'm 155. How about that?

1. Leg press (170x10, 180x10)
2. Leg extensions (75X8, 85x8)
3. Reverse hamstring curls (70x8, 85x8, 90x4)
4. Overhead shoulder press (35x8, 40x6)
5. Vertical chess press (40x8, 55x6)
6. Lat pulldown machine (70x8, 85x8, 90x4)
7. Bicep curl machine (35x6 (left arm only), 35x6 (left), 35x6 (both))
8. Tricep extension machine (40x8, 55x6)

Meal 1a: bowl of plain yogurt, water.
Meal 1b: protein shake.
Meal 1c: HUGE bowl of cottage cheese, couple of hard boiled eggs. grapefruit juice. a banana. water.

Meal 2: Thai glass noodles w/chicken and veg, and peanut sauce. Fruit. Water.

Meal 3: Lentil soup, 2 cups of yogurt. Water.

Meal 4: Sashimi. Broiled steak, steamed rice. Gyoza (Japanese pork dumplings). Cucumber salad. More water.

Meal 5: protein shake (before bed).

Crunches, ab work and balance movements tomorrow.

Soba

Coke
04-21-2004, 08:57 AM
Awesome news you're at 155 now, a pound here and there is the way to do it man...now on with the split - :D

Focused70
04-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Cocoa: Yeah, tanks man. Hopefully the split'll happen soon. Things are coming along on the resistance front, I just need to work on my balance and core a bit more before that happens.

Lots of eye candy at the gym this morning. Was a bit distracting...guess I need to get an iPod to keep my attention from wandering. =P Nice pump though...which I'm still feeling the effects of, a couple of hours later. :D

Soba

Focused70
04-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Thursday, April 22, 2004:

Meal 1: frittata, couple of hardboiled eggs, cup of plain yogurt, an orange, OJ and lots of water. (You'd think that with all the yogurt I eat, I'd begin to love it, but the truth is whenever I take a big ass spoonful of yogurt, I gag. it's ok though. I force myself to eat plain unsweetened yogurt first b/c every cup has 10 g protein as opposed to sweetened/fruit-flavored yogurt which has something like 7 or 8 g. I mean, if I'm going to forcefeed myself, it's going to be something I like as opposed to a jar of PB every day. heheh. :eek: )

Meals 2 to 5: not yet.

Ab work and balance stuff tonight when I get home.

Have a date with Natalia tomorrow at 7 am. :hump:

Soba

Focused70
04-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Friday, April 23, 2004:

Natalia didn't show this morning. S'ok, I didn't think I'd make it in either. (I HATE getting up in the morning. Always been more of an evening person, but it's getting easier and easier. One thing lifting does do is boost my energy levels so now I don't fall asleep during the day like I used to do when I wasn't lifting.)

Good workout today, felt strong especially while doing lat pulldowns and chest presses. I feel almost ready to move into weights, so will do a trial run by this time middle of next week. Still working on balance movements on my off days. Managed to get the windmill movement down pat last night although performing it with my left leg is more difficult than I thought.

Last night:

1. Crunches: 2x25
2. Plank: 2 @ 20 seconds each
3. Various balance movements, about 30 minutes total.

-----------
This morning:

1. Leg press (175x10, 185x10)
2. Leg extensions (75X8, 85x8)
3. Reverse hamstring curls (75x8, 85x8, 90x6)
4. Overhead shoulder press (35x8, 40x6)
5. Vertical chess press (40x8, 50x6, 55x4)
6. Lat pulldown machine (80x8, 90x8)
7. Bicep curl machine (40x6 (left arm only), 35x6 (right), 35x6 (both))
8. Tricep extension machine (40x8, 55x8)

For s***s and giggles, also:

9. Seated tricep pressdown machine: 65x8, 75x6
10. Standing calf raises: 50x30, 50x30

Meal 1a: pre-workout shake
Meal 1b: post-workout shake
Meal 1c: bowl of oatmeal w/milk, 2 cups of yogurt, water. Taking a slight chance with the milk there, who knows how much I'll pay for it later.

Meal 2: bowl of tunafish salad, couple of hardboiled eggs. yogurt shake.

Meal 3: lemon garlic chicken breast, yellow rice, steamed squash. water and an orange.

Meal 4: broiled skinless boneless chicken breast, steamed rice. steamed broccoli. glass of soy milk, and more water.

Meal 5: bedtime shake.

Go me! :thumbup:

Soba

Focused70
04-25-2004, 03:52 PM
Sunday, April 25, 2004:

I have to be in the office today. It totally sucks. Then again, for the next two weeks I'll be hellishly busy -- which means mondo overtime and ultimately means mondo paycheck. I'm committed to NOT missing a workout if I can, which is why I'm not taking two days off after today as is usual and instead going to the gym on Tuesday, right before the busy period starts. (*crosses fingers*)

My roommate says I don't look as bony as I used to. Not sure what that means -- then again I don't want to delude myself. I feel slightly different but I'm not sure if what I've gained is mostly fat and some muscle or some muscle and a bit of fat.

I think what I'll probably end up doing is bulking as much as I can and then cut down. I'm unsure as to how much I should bulk and when I should cut. After this workout, I'll start incorporating weights with an eye towards resuming WBB #1. I want to learn proper form first before moving on too much.

Today's workout went well:

1. Leg press (180x10, 180x10, 200x8)
I had originally meant to do a warm up set at 175 lbs. working up to 190, but the pins for the additional supplemental weights were missing so I ended up doing a warmup set at 180 and 2 sets beyond.

2. Leg extensions (80X8, 90x8)

3. Reverse hamstring curls (75x8, 85x8, 90x8)
In retrospect, I should have started with 85 and worked up to 95 or 100. 90 felt a bit easy, but I'm not sure if I'm deluding myself.

4. Overhead shoulder press (35x8, 40x8)
Shoulders are improving. Again in retrospect, I should have gone for a third set at 45.

5. Vertical chess press (45x8, 50x8)
Again, next time I'll go over 50. Probably begin with bench presses next time.

6. Lat pulldown machine (85x8, 95x8)
I'm typing this 5 hours after today. I really dig back exercises (well this particular exercise) because of the improvement in my posture that goes along with it. Like Exnor, I've always had a history of bad posture, but I find that in the month since I've resumed lifting, things are improving progressively. May try the stretches soon, we'll see.

7. Bicep curl machine (35x8 (left arm only), 35x8 (both), 40x2 (both))
Biceps remain a weak spot. I barely managed 2 reps at 40. Next time.

8. Tricep extension machine (40x8, 50x8)
Nothing to report here.

9. Crunches (2x25)
10. Plank: (3x20 seconds each)

11. Various balance movements (done at home.)

Meal 1: 4 egg white omelette, couple pieces of whole wheat bread, glass of soy milk, couple glasses of water.

Meal 2a: pre-workout shake.
Meal 2b: post-workout shake.

Meal 3: meatloaf, rice and beans, steamed veggies.

Meal 4 (snack): yogurt shake, a banana. pretzels. (ok, I do cheat once in a while, you know!!! Can't eat 100% clean all the time, I'm not THAT perfect.)

Meal 5: chicken soup, a tuna sandwich, water and a banana.

Meal 6 (snack): not yet, but will be a tub of cottage cheese -- especially if I have to be here in the frickin' office for another 2 hours. (I keep telling myself it's time and a half...time and a half...but it's now 11:50 pm as I type this and I really want to go to bed. I calculate that if I get home by 2 am, I can still get my 8 hours in; I'll just claim 2 hours of recovery time if that's the case. I'm a corporate paralegal in real life, and "recovery time" is a mechanism which allows us to come in late the next day if we stay late in the office past a certain time. For each hour past the deadline, we get to come in late an hour past 9:30. That doesn't alleviate my staying late much, it just makes it possible to get my beauty rest.)

Soba

Focused70
04-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Monday, April 26, 2004:

I thought I'd be out of work by 2 am.

Silly me. I didn't get home until 6 am whereupon I immediately hit the hay.

Sleep: 7 hours, with more on the way tonight. Have to be up at 6 tomorrow am, ugh.

Unfortunately I'm back in the office but I'm leaving early tonight.

Meal 1 (lunch really, cuz I was starving when I woke up): chicken breast, rice, carrots. water, an apple.

Meal 2 (snack): can o' tunafish, couple of hard boiled eggs.

Meals 3 to 5: not yet and I dunno how I'm going to cram all that food before I turn into a pumpkin tonight. Don't you wish humans were born with an extra orifice for those moments when you have to shovel food down the almighty gullet? Might have to resort to shakes.

Soba

Focused70
04-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Tuesday, April 27, 2004:

Only in New York does this happen: I leave for the gym around two hours ago only to come back an hour later to find my block sealed off because there was a suspicious object found in the basement of the building housing a Jewish bookstore two doors away from my apartment building. Unbelievable.

They managed to let ppl through 20 minutes later. Was a bit inconvenient though. (I live next door to the Singapore Mission to the United Nations; the Ukraine embassy is across the street and a few doors down. It's a pretty high profile area and this just happened to be one of those times when the cost of living in this neighborhood struck home.)

Anyway, what you've (and I've) been waiting for: a return to a three day split. :spam:

Day 1: Chest and triceps

1. Smith machine bench presses: 20x10 (warmup), 40x12, 40x6
need to engage my core more often and ensure that both arms are performing equally. also have to lock out my elbows. had some difficulty keeping them aligned.

2. Smith incline bench presses: barx10 (warmup), 10x12, 20x8
Ditto above. Less problems with my elbows. Have to keep my wrists straight, not bent.

3. Hammer Strength incline press: barx12, barx12
have to learn to relax my shoulders and balance my arm work here.

4. Pec flyes: 20x12, 30x10, 40x8
These were spot on from the get go.

5. Triceps pulldowns: 15x25, 20x15, 25x10
Have to engage my core more often. At least elbows were nicely tucked in.

6. Assisted dips: 19x12, 18x15, 17x12
Nothing to report here.

I'm working on getting my form down pat. I may give this particular routine a go next time around before upping the weight and decreasing the reps. I feel its better to learn what I should be doing at this onset instead of risking potential injury by jumping right into things.

Meal 1a: Pre-workout shake.
Meal 1b: Post-workout shake.

Meal 2: bowl of oatmeal, 2 cups yogurt, an orange.
Meal 3: roast beef, yellow rice, succotash.
Meal 4 (snack): chunk tuna, about half a cup.
Meal 5: two boneless skinless grilled chicken breasts, rice, steamed broccoli. apple juice.
Meal 6: bedtime shake. (all shakes are made with soy milk. usually do 1 to 1/2 scoops so it comes out to anywhere from 36 to 50 g protein per shake.)

Good to be back, yo. Taking off tomorrow and Thursday b/c I'll be busy at work. Friday is back and biceps.

Soba

JustinF
04-27-2004, 09:42 AM
:spam:

Nice journal. What do you do for work that you're so busy? Sorry if you covered it before, I'm too lazy to go back and read. :p

Coke
04-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Great news...your workaholic a$$ decided to finally break down and split things up some, this is where it begins - :thumbup:

...just go short of locking out on the moves and get a rhythm going - ;)

JustinF
04-27-2004, 09:43 AM
lol, I just saw it a couple posts back. :) Cool stuff.

Focused70
04-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Justin: I'm a corporate finance legal assistant (I prefer the term "career paralegal".) Most paralegals that get hired by my firm (http://www.sullcrom.com) are usually in it for the two year bonus and the experience while they determine whether they want to go on to law school or grad school. Me, I'm in it because it pays well and has enough responsibility but without the liabilities that go along with being a lawyer. Sometimes it's stressful, but on the whole I enjoy it which is necessary for almost anything in life. I've been with my firm for close to over 15 years now, having worked my way up from the mailroom to my present position.

Mr. C: It began 5 months ago if you remember, but then I had that stupid accident. This time I'm determined to do things right. Got confirmation this morning when one of my co-workers asked me if I'd gained some weight. :thumbup:

Soba

Focused70
04-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Wednesday, April 28, 2004:

Sleep: A kind of half-in, half-out 7.5 hours.

The good news: I'm 156.

The bad news: I screwed up at work today, around 9 am. Ugh. When I screw up, I screw up in a major way. No ordinary faux pas here, folks. It's the big leagues for me. :help: Still nothing that's fire-worthy -- I just feel like a heel.

Meal 1: 2 cups of plain unsweetened yogurt, a breakfast burrito, fruit.

Meal 2: roast pork (they had chicken breast for lunch, but those breasts looked kinda skimpy even for chicken breasts), barley, spinach.

Meal 3 (snack): 3 cups of plain unsweetened yogurt, mutant oranges, water.

Meal 4: grilled marinated chicken breast and thighs, green salad, yellow rice.

One reason I eat so much cottage cheese and yogurt is to help with the healing of my heel. Back in January -- check around on page 3 -- I fractured my heel when I fell off a step ladder while I was changing a ceiling light bulb. Things are way better now but I'm still not 100% there yet, so anything I can do to help things along is fine by me.

Missed physical therapy last night due to being at work until 9. Then I come into the office this morning at 8 freakin' o'clock only to find out that nothing's taking place today as was originally planned last night. The trials and tribulations of a paralegal are never over. Could've used the extra hour of sleep...grrr.

So anyway, since everything's been pushed back to Friday, Natalia and I have a date tomorrow at 7. Should be fun. I get introduced to the joys of rowz (my second favorite DOMS) and curlz.

Soba

PS. Can you guess what my favorite DOMS are? :D

Focused70
04-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Thursday, April 29, 2004:

Day 3: Back and Biceps

Continuing the program of high reps and low weights so I can get form down pat. Comments are in italics below.

1. Lat pulldowns: 30x12, 40x12, 50x8
Need to keep neck neutral and stick my chest out more as the weight gets heavier. Can't lean in too much as I was doing esp. during the last few reps of the last set. Also need to learn the mind/muscle connection, esp. when squeezing during the contraction.

2. Cybex seated rows: 30x12, 40x12, 50x12
Ditto with the neck, although things were much better this time around. Still need to engage core as I bring the weight inwards.

3. Nautilus pullover: 35x12, 45x12, 50x12
Again with keeping my neck neutral and shoulders relaxed. Must learn to breathe completely with diaphragm. Engage that core...!

4. Back extensions: BWx12, BWx12, BWx12
What a mofo exercise! Have to keep my neck neutral. I must be doing this subconsciously or something, just have to become more aware of it I guess. Things got better w/the neck during the 2nd and 3rd sets. Oh, and my lower back was on fire during the last set.

5. Nautilus bicep curl: 35x12, 35x6, 35x4
Ditto with my neck. Other than that, my arms, especially my left arm, need a lot of work.

6. Icarian bicep curl machine: 20x12, 35x8, 35x8
Needed assistance during the last set, but not much to report. Neck problems were minimal to none here.

Overall, have to learn to keep my neck neutral, shoulders relaxed and engage my core. Nothing new there. I'm thinking that perhaps a month or so of this routine before I move on to T-bar rows, seated cable rows and barbell curls. Lower back extensions are my new favorite exercise to bitch at.

We'll see how DOMS are tomorrow. heh.

Meal 1a: pre-workout shake. (Nitrotech is like drinking whey flavored strawberry cough syrup. Nasty but tolerable.)

Meal 1b: post-workout shake, with 2 glasses worth of soy milk.

Meal 2: 2 cups of yogurt, breakfast burrito, fruit, water.

Meal 3a: grilled chicken and cheese sandwich, mutant oranges (by mutant oranges, I mean really, REALLY LARGE oranges). water.

Meal 3b: tub of cottage cheese, fruit.

Meal 4: broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, pasta, steamed broccoli, green tea, water.

Meal 5: have to see what's in the fridge. (to come.)

Saturday is legz and shoulders.

Don't forget to carpe diem!

Soba

Coke
04-29-2004, 09:07 AM
...lol, looks like that type of protein shake may have to go bro - who wants to be tolerating. Nice back and bi work.

Focused70
04-29-2004, 10:48 AM
CoCoa: First time I went to a GNC to get protein powder, this (pushy) salesman comes up to me and tries to get me to buy some creatine, and I'm like, wtf do I need creatine for considering I'm just starting to work out for the first time ever in my life? Let me get a basic foundation first, and then in about six months to a year, I'll consider using creatine.

Then when I mention I'm looking for a basic protein powder without a lot of bells and whistles, he's like, get some Muscletech products. So I buckle under, not knowing much, and get a jar of Nitrotech whey-based powder. It sat there on top of my refrig for quite a while b/c I'd since found out that casein/whey mixtures were, on the whole, better (at least for my purposes). I also get most of my protein needs from whole foods. I usually drink a shake before I lift and after I lift; on off days, I usually have a shake before I go to bed.

Since I'm not one to let product go to waste, rather than giving it away, I decided what the hell, might as well use it since the first thing I do when I get up is drink a glass or two of water right away. Might as well use it and make it do double duty on the days I lift.

Now you know why I'm going slowly going through this vat of cough syrup flavored protein powder.

Tanks for da props btw.

Soba

Focused70
05-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Saturday, May 1, 2004:

My PT gave the go-ahead for incline cardio, so that's a welcome alternative to the speed bike.

Comments in italics below.

Day 5: Wheels and shoulders

The Smith machine was occupied for quite a while, so no squats today. :cry:

It's ok, I still walked funny on the way home.

1. Leg extensions: 75x12, 80x11, 85x8
Did these as a warmup just to get things moving.

2. Hack squats: barx10, barx10, barx10
The bar weighs something like 40 lbs. Not quite a sissy bar by any stretch of the imagination. Have to go lower than I was going and engage my core more often. Eventual prep for ATF squats.

3. Leg press: 70x12, 50x10, 70x10
This is the real thing, not a Nautilus leg press machine. Have to tell you that I prefer the real thing, natch. By this time, quads were on fire. Second set was performed with my toes pointing outwards and toes off the pad, concentrating on my inner thighs -- 70 felt like a bit much there, hence the lower weight. Need to bring the weight all the way down; I felt on some reps that I could have gone the extra distance.

4. Seated calf raises: 10x12, 20x15
This was using plates, not a machine. Next time, I should hold for 2 seconds at the top of each rep.

5. Standing calf raises: 20x10, 20x10
Had a 10 lb. plate in each hand, performed strictly and held for 2 seconds at the top of each rep.

6. Overhead press machine: 35x8, 40x12
Nothing to report here.

7. Rear delt extensions: 20x15, 20x15
Need to contract more, otherwise spot on.

Meal 1a: pre-workout shake
Meal 1b: post-workout shake.

Meal 2: pasta with a can of tuna and tomato sauce.

Meal 3: bowl of cottage cheese, pb and banana sandwich, glass of soy milk, fruit.

Meal 4: (went to dinner at Blue Hill, an amazing restaurant in the Village. A cheat meal like no other. Hey, a boy's gotta live a little.)

Meal 5: cold sliced skinless boneless chicken breast; bowl of cottage cheese topped with sardines.

Penny for your thoughts: I didn't get out from work until 12 midnight last night. Sunday I'm on call...which is just fine by me. It's Monday/Tuesday that's giving me the willies. Monday promises to be an all nighter. The last time we did this, I entered the office at 8 am Wednesday and left at 7:30 pm Thursday evening!!! It had better not be like this this time around. Unfortunately the lawyer I'm working with can be unreasonable at times. Fortunately the senior associate has a vastly more reasonable sensibility -- we're not machines and we shouldn't expect to behave like machines.

The bright side is that one side effect of lifting is that I have more energy than before and falling asleep during the day/lethargy doesn't happen any more...so if we do in fact pull a horrific all-nighter on Monday, then I won't be flagging. On the other hand, it's gonna **** my sleep schedule up like nobody's business.

Soba

JustinF
05-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Sounds like fun!!

Nice leg and shoulder session.

Focused70
05-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Monday, May 3, 2004:

So far, so good.

I can walk!!! Yay! Still sore, but not as sore as I was yesterday. Heheheh. :spam:

Comments are in italics below.

1. Smith flat bench presses: 20x15 (warmup), 40x12, 40x6, 50x5*
Last few reps of the last set were assisted. Now that I have form down pat, I'll be cutting back on reps and upping the weight slightly.

2. Smith incline bench presses: 20x12, 20x8, 30x4*
Last set was mostly assisted. Got in one good rep though.

3. Hammer incline press: barx15, barx8, barx6
Still gimpy here, although second and third sets had slight improvements. Will see how next week brings.

4. Pec flyes: 30x12, 40x10, 20x15
3rd set supersetted. Last few reps of 3rd set held for a slow count of 10.

5. Tricep extensions: 15x12, 15x8
May sub in tri pressdowns next time. Have to keep my elbows tucked in.

6. Assisted dips: 17x8, 17x10, 17x10
2nd and 3rd sets were ACE. It's all about the Jedi mind trick, folks.

Meals:

1a: pre-workout shake w/soy milk.
1b: post-workout shake w/soy milk.

2: 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt, fruit, water.

3: grilled chicken breast, spinach and red onion salad, orzo with tomato sauce.

4: 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt, fruit, nuts.

5: typical pre-closing madness -- meant to get dinner from the cafeteria but got pulled instead into a project, so ended up getting takeout Chinese for the whole group. :(

Penny for your thoughts: My home computer is shot through and might as well be used for scrap metal. It's ok, getting a new system for $700. An Athlon/P4 equivalent with 512 MB RAM and 80 gigs in the hard drive, DVD and CD-RW drive, DVD burner, graphix and sound cards, speakers and subwoofer. I love it. heheh, can't wait.

edit: Tonight wasn't an all-nighter....even tho I left at 2 ****'in am and here I am, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 8:30 in the office.

Soba

Focused70
05-03-2004, 08:57 AM
JustinF: Tanks, d00d.

Soba

Coke
05-03-2004, 09:18 AM
That new system is going to be the you know what, lol - hang on in there at the j-o-b...Nice chest and tri effort!

Focused70
05-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Mr. C: Take a prize for being my 100th poster. heheh.

Danke, btw.

Soba

Focused70
05-03-2004, 03:55 PM
gack

I have to be here at 7:30 in the freakin' morning.

Lawdy knows what time I'm going home tonight. So much for sleep. :eek:

It's times like this I hate my job.

Calgon, take me away!

Soba

Focused70
05-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Tuesday, May 4, 2004:

double gack.

I'm getting by on 4 hours of sleep. Not sure how I'm doing it. At least today is going smoothly.

Meal 1: 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt, 4 egg white omelette w/cheddar cheese, fruit, water.

Meal 2: bowl of oatmeal, glass of soy milk.

Meal 3: jerk chicken breast, red beans and rice, steamed veg. water and fruit.

Meal 4: Someone left a tub of deli potato salad in a conference room. It's gone now. heheh. 2 cups of unsweetened plain yogurt and some fruit.

edit: Dinner's probably gonna be leftover roast chicken and veg. Bed in two hours. Lata, folks.

Soba

Focused70
05-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Wednesday, May 5, 2004:

Weekly Weigh-in: 159.5

Yay is me. Still going to bed early tonight due to my sleep cycle being a bit fubar'd earlier this week.

Mealz:

1: shake w/soy milk.
2: 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt, diced cantaloupe, and an orange.
3: grilled chicken breast, rice, squash.
4: skipped. =(
5: grilled skinless boneless chicken breast, steamed rice, steamed veg.

Soba

Coke
05-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Congrats bro! - putting some more pounds on, that is good news.

galileo
05-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Soy! Bleaaaargh!!

Focused70
05-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Thursday, May 6, 2004:

Day 3: Back and biceps

1. Close grip lat pulldowns: 40x12, 50x10, 60x12
Nothing to report. Good form second and third sets. Felt pretty easy, definitely go heavier next time.

2. Cybex seated rows: 50x12, 60x12, 70x10
These were more accurate in terms of weight. Worked last set, but not overly so. Form was good, especially core.

3. Nautilus pullovers: 45x12, 55x12, 65x10*
Not too sure about form here, have to remember to engage core more often. Could be too self-ciritical. Assisted last few reps of last set.

4. One arm bent-over dumbell rows: 15x10, 20x10*
Kind of a new exercise for me. 20 lb. dumbells seemed a bit much on my right arm, altho part of that could be attributed to fatigue. Have to remember to keep elbows tucked in or close and torso aligned.

5. Lower back extensions: BW+10x12, BW+10x12
Form mostly spot on. Need to remember to go lower so as to get more of a stretch. These weren't as difficult as last week in that my lower back wasn't on fire as much as before. May go heavier next time.

6. Cable biceps curl: 25x9, 20x8
Went too heavy to start, will reverse next time. Cheated a bit, need to work on form first. These are eventual prep for basic bb curls.

7. Concentration curls: 10x10, 10x10*
Last 4 reps self-assisted each side.

Just want to add that after each set, I stretch the bodypart worked. Just a habit I've been doing for a while but haven't noted in the journals.

Mealz

1a: bowl of cottage cheese w/one scoop of protein powder. (It seemed like a good idea at the time, but wasn't particularly great tasting. I managed to finish it off though.)

1b: post-workout shake w/soy milk. (A hefty 72 g of protein per serving.)

2 (eating now): MORE cottage cheese, some egg whites, fruit. (Unlike Will -- sorry, I can't bring myself to call Will names, especially since he's like um way bigger than me, heheh -- I love cottage cheese. Cottage cheese and unsweetened yogurt are my friends.)

3: grilled chicken breast with a slice of mozz and portobello mushroom caps, roasted brussel sprouts. bulghur wheat. mucho agua.

4 (snack): not yet, but will be a can o' tuna and 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt plus any fruit I can scrounge from the cafeteria.

5: broiled steak, chicken biryani. Had some cauliflower kulcha. (roasted cauliflower stuffed Indian bread). All the soy milk I wanted to drink. lol.

6: whey shake with soy milk.

Penny for your thoughts: Today is my two month anniversary since I began lifting. Two months, if you discount the time I spent on my skinny butt while I was recuperating from the frickin' accident. I'm like half a pound shy of 160 at 17.5% bodyfat, not exactly where I want to be now but definitely on new ground. I've NEVER been this heavy. EVER. While that might not seem like much to y'all, it is to me. I'm just enjoying things right now. Even ppl I work with on a daily basis have noticed it. :p

I guess what I plan to do now is bulk up to about 175-180ish and then cut to 160/165. I plan on giving myself anywhere from six months to the end of this year to do it. I had classed myself as your typical ectomorph only because I'd been thin all my life, but now I'm not so sure especially with the last few months behind me. I'm not even sure six months is too long or too short. In any event, it'll be quite a journey for me, so sit back and cheer from the sidelines. :spam: There IS fat in the midsection, so I'll be working to burn that off while I'm bulking up, if possible. In particular, I want to bring my arms up A LOT more than they are now. Now they look like sticks. When I'm done, they'll be a lot more than stix, for sure.

Saturday is abz.

Monday is legz and shoulderz.

Soba

Focused70
05-06-2004, 09:03 AM
C-man: Danke, dude. Much appreciated, coming from you.

Gal: Well, ya see, it's not like I can drink milk like most of y'all. If I drink a glass of milk, I'll pay for it, I tells ya, pay for it in spades. We're talking gas, gas, and diarrhea. Lactaid gives me constipation. Maybe in my next life, I'll be a pasty white dude (*cough*) that can drink milk. heheh.

Tryska
05-06-2004, 09:24 AM
congrats on the growing! :clap:

JustinF
05-07-2004, 03:20 AM
Happy Anniversary!! :p

Good to see you sticking with it man, you're doing great.

Focused70
05-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Lady T and Mr. J: Merci bien, folks. Here's to more growing. heh.

Friday, May 7, 2004:

Mealz

1: whey shake w/soy milk

2: HUGE bowl of Irish oatmeal, eaten plain. I think I could seriously become addicted to oatmeal just like this. Can't remember exactly who around here eats oatmeal for breakfast, lunch and dinner :) but whomever it is, thanks for putting a good idea into my head. 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt and fruit, along with mucho agua.

3: orange roughy, rice, steamed broccoli. The cafeteria guy gives me one stalk of broccoli!!!! Like, wtf? So I went to the salad bar and swiped some raw veg. Nothing stands between SobaSluggard and his phuud. Nothing.

4: not yet, but will be 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt, a protein bar and some more fruit. I broke down and got a protein bar in a moment of weakness. So we'll see how it goes.

5 and possibly 6: to come.

Penny for your thoughts:

1. Spent five hours last night fixing my computer. Reformatted the hard drive after I backed up a few files. Spent the rest of the time installing Winblows XP, hardware drivers, virus scan software, firewall, and other goodies. Will spend tonight installing the rest of the stuff. May get a new monitor in upcoming weeks. Was going to get a new system next week but that's on hold for the time being. Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid viruses. Stupid. heh.

2. There's a second year associate here at work that's pissing me off right now. He wants me to do a precedent search which I can do in 30 minutes or less. It's not the search itself but rather the fact that everytime he asks me to do something, he makes it seem like I'm doing his work for him. Now, this particular request isn't like that, it's just that he has a habit of asking paralegals to do his work for him so I'm automatically biased against him because of that. I mean, it's not like my own plate isn't full.

3. Tomorrow is abz day. Behind back and legs, I love abz. Yay is me.

That's it for now, time to do some work. heh.

Soba

briancurran01
05-07-2004, 09:08 AM
nice work soba keep at it bro. :)

JustinF
05-10-2004, 04:44 AM
:lurk:

Focused70
05-10-2004, 07:42 AM
Monday, May 10, 2004

Saturday was abz day:

1. Crunches: 2 sets of 30 each
2. Plank: 2 reps at 30 seconds each
3. Ab extensions: 2 sets at 10 reps each, 10 second count per rep
4. Various balance and ab movements employing Pilates-type exercises.
5. Modified situps: 2 sets of 40 each

----------------
Day 5: Wheelz and shoulderz

I woke up late and so missed my appointment with my trainer. It's ok, I managed to get someone to demo Smith squats to me and spot me, so I'll use that for a few weeks before I graduate to real squats. (Sorry ElP, but after the freak heel accident, I'm erring on the side of caution. :eek: )

1. Nautilus leg extensions: 65x8, 80x8
This was done just as a warmup.

2. Squats, performed on the Smith machine: barx12, 20x12, 20x12
Starting at low weights so I can learn proper form. Things I need to concentrate on: a) keep knees aligned, b) back straight, c) lower slowly at a count of 3 and explode upwards, d) proper breathing, e) lower to the proper height. Slowly getting the hang of it though. heheh. God I sound like such a n00b. Shut up. heh.

3. Icarian hack squat: barx10, bar+20x10, bar+20x10
Nothing to report here.

4. Leg press: 60x8, 70x8, 70x8
Skipped the inner thighs this time around.

5. Standing calf raises: 1x20 (with 10 lb. dumbbells in each hand), 1x20 (with 20 lb. dumbbells in each hand)

6. Seated calf raises: 25x20, 25x20

7. Overhead presses: 35x8, 45x6
Yay! First set was amazingly easy. Time to move on up....to the East side....to the deeee-luxe apartment in the sk-ah-ay....

8. Rear delt machine: 20x12, 30x8, 40x3*
Tried to do 4 reps last set but couldn't manage it. It's ok tho.

Wasn't sure I'd make it down the stairs as I left the gym. heh.

Still not in the walking funny stage unlike so many of you. :eek:

Mealz

1a: pre-workout shake. Even though it tastes nasty, Nitrotech has been giving me good results. May cut out the weight gainer and just use that up and see how I do. Nitrotech is really a jazzed up whey powder. I'll take a look around and see what other ppl use before making a decision though once the bottle is used up.

2: meatloaf, carrots, spinach.

3: not yet, but will be 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt and a protein bar plus any fruit that I can swipe from the cafeteria. heheh.

4: broiled skinless boneless chicken breast, steamed rice, steamed veg. mint chutney. more water.

5: nonfat cottage cheese. have to get used to the taste, but it's 15 g of protein (as opposed to 12 g for regular low fat cottage cheese).

Penny for your thoughts: They don't make bands like Pink Floyd any more. Listening to Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1 to 7) now and it is teh bomb.

Soba

Focused70
05-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Big Daddy B: Welcome back to my journal. Have some popcorn. :)

Mr. J: Thanks for bringing the popcorn. :thumbup:

DJ Soba

JustinF
05-11-2004, 03:06 AM
Nice session soba. If I recall, the Nitrotech is just a whey protein with dextrose, at an high price. IMO, you'd be better off getting just a whey protein and a big tub of dextrose. It would cost much less and yield the same results.

Focused70
05-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Mr. J: Ok, I googled dextrose, so what I wanna know is, how much whey and how much dextrose do I use in a shake? (Anyone can answer this one, not just Justin.)

Tanks in advance.

Soba

JustinF
05-11-2004, 09:11 AM
It depends on your goals. I use a 60g/60g ratio. It will be dependant on how much protein you need to supplement into your diet...what you don't get from regular food.

I do recall reading somewhere that to get the necessary insulin spike you need at least 50g of dextrose. Don't quote that, I'll try to find the source.

Focused70
05-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Mr. J: At the moment, it's half shakes and half food. Breakdown is something like this:

1a: pre-workout shake.
1b: post-workout shake.

2 to 5: whole food.

On days when I don't lift, its:

1a: shake.
1b: regular breakfast

2 to 4: regular food

5: bedtime shake.

May also chug a shake in the middle of the day if I feel like it. Since I work out in the morning and have an office job, my meals are structured so that I can get as much protein as possible given that my hours can be pretty irregular.

What's with the insulin spike? Explain pls. Is that 50 g of dextrose spaced out over all three shakes or 50 g per shake?

Soba

Focused70
05-12-2004, 07:01 AM
Wednesday, May 12, 2004:

Gym was crowded this morning. Unusual for a Wednesday...

Comments are in italics below. This is the actual order I did them. It's not normally like this.

1. Smith flat bench presses: 40x8, 50x6, 55x6*
Last few reps of the last set were assisted.

2. Smith incline bench presses: 20x10, 25x8, 35x4*
Last set was mostly assisted. As last week, got in one good rep though.

3. Pec flyes: 30x8, 40x8, 60x4*
Nothing to report here, except the last set could've been better.

4. Seated tricep pressdown machine: 65x8, 80x6
Seems like everyone and their grandmother was in the gym today doing back, so subbed in something else. Might work in a set or two of tricep pressdowns (which I normally do on the lat stations) when I do back.

5. Assisted dips (gravitron): 3 sets of 20 each at 40% of BW
Again, because the dip machine which combos as a pullup/chinup bar was being used by someone else, had to sub this in. :(

6. Hammer incline press: barx8, 20x6, 20x4**
20 may have been a little too heavy...third set was crap so I aborted.

Mealz

1a: pre-workout shake.
1c: HUGE bowl of plain Irish oatmeal and some fruit.

2: marinated teriyaki chicken, carrots, roasted potatoes.

3: 2 cups of plain unsweetened yogurt and some fruit.

4 and 5: to come.

Weekly Weigh-in: 162 lbs.

I've decided to cut out the weight gain shakes and instead just use whey-based shakes for now. If I'm going to bulk, I might as well make my job easier by trying to bulk as cleanly as possible so I can minimize the fat gain. It's a little disconcerting when I stand and notice that my abs, while muscular, are covered in this layer of blubber. :mad:

Interesting that when I say I'm fat, my co-workers roll their eyes. LOL.

My roomie took some pix of me...well one pix of me that I'll put up later on the pix forum. I have to get a tape measure but I have a feeling that my arms are less than 9" around. :eek:

Penny for your thoughts: Not as interesting as Galileo's. It's ok, we can't all be special all of the time. :withstupi I'll think of something later though.

Soba

Coke
05-12-2004, 10:01 AM
I hear you on the shakes bro, you don't want to gain weight too fast...good chest and tri work.

Focused70
05-12-2004, 02:20 PM
C-man: Tanks for the props.

Penny for your thoughts (part the second): Politics in New York = weird s***. 52 City Council seats, of which a distinct minority are Republicans, centered mostly in Staten Island and south Brooklyn with a scattering elsewhere in the city. Bloomberg was a Democrat in the last mayoral election until he switched parties and became a Republican because he didn't want to run a bruising primary. Mark Green, the Democratic nominee, would've been mayor had he not been so disparaging of Fernando Ferrer, one of his main competitors and the former borough president of the Bronx. Memo to future political candidates: never screw over one of your political bedfellows for it will come back to haunt you. A little tidbit of interest: for the 2001 gubernatorial election, Carl McCall, the Democratic nominee for governor backed Ferrer, whilst Andrew Cuomo (his challenger) backed Green. Sure was interesting to watch from afar. It was like being in an orchestra run by a bunch of yowling cats, no offense to cat lovers out there. :)

As for Hillary? Who knows? Hubby Willy just handed off his memoir to his publisher, just in time for the inevitable media blitz and a full two months before the Democratic electoral convention. Whether Hillary will run for president in 2008 remains to be seen but you can be sure that Willy will try to preserve her political viability to the fullest. What I want to know is if Kerry will get as big a bounce as he needs in order to stay afloat, or will Willy's shadow be too much for Kerry to bear in the coming months ahead.

Stay tuned.

Soba

JustinF
05-12-2004, 03:37 PM
NIce chest session Soba. I think you made the right call with the protein shakes.

Focused70
05-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Thursday, May 13, 2004:

Today was pretty blah as far as days go.

My roommate turned on the air conditioner, not only because it's 86 freakin degrees during the day (in May! no less), but also as a white noise machine at night to drown out the hordes of people in the bar across the street who make believe they're in a bar in the East Village by singing at 1 am in the morning.

Mealz

1: one scoop of Nitrotech w/soy milk. 4 egg white omelette, whole wheat toast, fruit.

2: HUGE bowl of cottage cheese w/one can of albacore tuna.

3: grilled chicken breast, rice, salad, fruit.

4: two scoops of Nitrotech w/soy milk. nuts and fruit.

5: broiled skinless boneless chicken breast, steamed rice, steamed broccoli. soy milk.

6: two scoops of Nitrotech w/soy milk.

---------------

Friday, May 14, 2004:

I woke up late this morning. :mad:

Probably go to the gym tonight, after work, after 7. Hopefully the mad rush will be over by then. Today is back and biceps day and I don't plan on waiting in line just to use a station.

Mealz

1a: one scoop of Nitrotech w/soy milk.
1b: two cups of unsweetened plain yogurt, fruit and some hardboiled egg whites.

2: roast turkey (!), cauliflower, steamed squash. Serves me right to get to the cafeteria 10 min. before closing time. I LOATHE turkey with a passion.

3: two cups of unsweetened plain yogurt, fruit, and a protein bar.

4: grilled chicken, rice, salad, tahini. two scoops of Nitrotech.

5: can of tuna and OJ.

Oh, ho....my back is gonna kill me tomorrow....!!! LOL. it's all good though. Comments are in italics below.

1. Lat pulldowns: 50x8, 60x8, 70x6*
My form wasn't the greatest second set. I totally gimped third set. I think I started off on the wrong foot here.

2. Seated rows: 45x8, 65x8, 75x8
Much better this time around although have to watch my core.

3. Pullovers: 50x7, 60x8, 70x8
Form was spot on here.

4. One handed bent over dumbell rows: 15x8, 20x8
These were better than before....didn't nearly twist as much as I did the first time I did them. Last few reps of the second set were close.

5. Lower back extensions: BW+10x12, BW+10x12, BW+25x12
Oh boy! I was thinking...how can I do these with 20 lbs.? I was holding onto a plate as I was doing them, held to my chest. Gack. Well, all gotta start from someplace, eh? Definitely feel it all right...and it's not even daytime yet. C-man, I have new respect for your back workouts... :hello:

6. Cable bicep curlz: 20x8, 30x8
Better form this time around than last time.

7. Nautilus bicep machine: 35x6, 40x6
I think next week I'll push it up a notch. *prays*

Notes: Have to review form on the lat pull down machine. In retrospect, was struggling on the third set and could've been better all throughout that part of the workout. Things noticeably improved from there on in. I give this workout a B-.

Sunday is abz. Monday is wheelz and deltz.

Soba

Focused70
05-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Mr. J: I still can't get over the taste though. I just turn on the vacuum machine and wolf it down so it doesn't stick in my gullet. The soy milk actually helps matters by neutralizing the cough syrup sweetness.

DJ Soba

Coke
05-14-2004, 10:12 AM
...ain't that the truth, I usually wait until after 7:00pm to get in the gym because I don't like to wait around for nobody when it comes to my workouts - the morning sessions are also cool in mainly that regard.

Focused70
05-15-2004, 01:03 AM
C-man: Gym wasn't as busy as I thought it might be. 'Course by the time I got there, it was an hour till closing time.

Btw, I feel like an iron shaft's been rammed down my spinal column and my upper back's being reinforced by a steel plate. :D

Soba

WillKuenzel
05-15-2004, 01:35 AM
What's wrong with turkey, dude? I love turkey. Granted it can be bad if done a certain way but roasted turkey? I'd eat that all day.

I don't see what y'all mean with the gym being crowded. Of course being unemployed and being able to go to the gym at 2 in the afternoon makes a difference. :p Glad to hear it wasn't that bad. :)

ectx
05-15-2004, 10:24 AM
TURKEY RULES

There's entirely too much substitution of the letter 's' with the letter 'z' in here.

looks to me like you've made some good steady progress. Props to you. Now make me a sammich!

Focused70
05-15-2004, 01:22 PM
HY/Rene: Guess I've been scarred by the ghosts of Turkey Day dinners past. Turkey sammiches are all right because its not all about the turkey but rather the turkey, the bread, the mayo and anything else. I'm talking about regular roast turkey slathered with gravy. A little gravy is ok, not the puddle of gravy the dude ladled on top of it.

Ever since I started lifting, I've been more cognizant (now there's a complex word :D) of what I've been eating so frequently ask for sauce on the side or as little sauce as possible. Never used to do that before.

I still eat turkey like maybe twice times a year, not counting turkey sandwiches. Friday was only because I got to the cafeteria late. :(

Soba

Focused70
05-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Saturday, May 15, 2004:

Hoowah! Back DOMS. Well not that bad, not sore sore, but sore good. Sore in the right places, at least. Oh, and stretching between sets helped a lot too.

MEALZ:

Just for you, Rene. :D

1: two scoops of Nitrotech w/soy milk, HUGE bowl of cottage cheese, fruit and whole wheat toast. (I eat kind of irregularly on the weekends. I still get my allowance of protein, but otoh, I've been known to eat steak for breakfast. I'm weird like that.)

2: can of albacore tuna, nuts and fruit, glass of OJ.

3: swiss cheese sandwich, one scoop of Nitrotech (no soy milk), salad.

4: my cheat meal of the week: dinner in Chinatown with friends. having a protein bar and some cottage cheese as dessert. :eek:

5: not yet but gonna raid the refrig later.

Penny for your thoughts:

1. Have Budd's theme (Kill Bill) running through my head at the moment. Comes from visiting the movie site too often.

2. Why do ALL protein bars have to be covered in chocolate? Chocolate is teh devil. Gack. At least this one is soft, not crunchy.

Soba

WillKuenzel
05-16-2004, 01:23 AM
One of my buds bought the Kill Bill soundtrack and we listened to that on the trip to the beach last year. Good stuff. There's only one or 2 songs I don't like and the one I do remember is by them 5678's, or whatever that 3 girl band was called.

Focused70
05-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Will: Yep, they're the 5678s, the Japanese surfer rock band that Quentin discovered while shopping for clothes in Tokyo prior to filming.

Soba

Focused70
05-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Sunday, May 16, 2004:

Abz:

1: Crunches: 2 sets of 25, 1 set of 30
2: Plank: 2 sets @ 35 seconds each
3: Scissor kicks: 2 sets @ 30 each
4: Leg raises: 2 sets @ 10 each, for a slow count of 10 per rep
5: Wall crunches: Feet at a 90 degree angle; 1 set of 20
6: Situps: 2 sets of 12, for a slow count of 5 per rep
7: Various Pilates-type movements for balance and form.

Mealz:

1: 4 egg white omelette (w/one whole egg), whole wheat toast, fruit, glass of unsweetened soy milk. (edit: I just read a thread in the nutrition forum. Going forward, anytime I post about an egg white omelette, I'll be more specific in mentioning the number of whole eggs used in making the omelette.)

2: 2 scoops of Nitrotech w/o soy milk, trail mix.

3: nonfat cottage cheese mixed with one can of water-packed chunk albacore tuna and half a can of red kidney beans drained, tossed in some Mrs. Dash for kicks. fruit. (If only my eG friends could see me now!!! They'd be rolling in their gourmet graves. LOL.)

4: broiled steak, couscous, steamed broccoli. glass of unsweetened soy milk.

5: finished off a container of nonfat cottage cheese. bedtime shake (one scoop of whey, no soy milk.) My roomie thinks I like these protein powders. hah.

Wheelz with Natalia tomorrow. :hump:

Soba

PS: I said I'd post a pic of me on the pic thread...but on second thought...um, I think I'll wait a bit longer before I expose some skin. :eek: Here's another mug shot though. Compare this one with the one on the first page of this thread and you can see *some* weight gain even if I am wearing a black shirt. heh.

Focused70
05-17-2004, 06:44 AM
Monday, May 17, 2004:

Day 1: Wheelz and deltz!

Comments are in italics below.

1: Leg extensions: 75x12, 85x10, 95x12
Move along, nothing to see here.

2: Smith machine squats: 40x12, 50x10, 60x8
Used a bench as a guide for me to determine how low to sink. These are reqular squatz, not ATF squatz. (Not that advanced, kiddies. Ask me again in a year or so. heheh.) It was all me, very little if any assistance. Learning to push up with the mind-muscle connection while keeping myself aligned. The alignment part for me is the most difficult part.

3: Leg press: 70x12, 90x10, 140x6*
I think my trainer has a sadistic streak in her....which is good, sometimes. Last set was really 3 reps, since the other three were assisted.

4: Hamstring curls: 65x10, 50x12, 50x10
Went too heavy first set. Second and third sets were much better. Can't arch my back here as I was doing early on.

5: Seated calf raises: 25x12, 35x9
Calf meltdown.

6: Dumbell overhead presses: 12x10, 12x10
Just learning proper form on these. Have to remember to press up all the way and bring the weights close together.

7: Rear delt extensions: 40x12, 40x8
These were supersetted with 8 below. Pretty much busted the second set out.

8: Dumbell lat raises with a supinated grip: 5x12, 5x12
These worked the medial head of my delts. Seems like a nice movement, and might incorporate it into my regular routine.

Notes: Problems with this workout were proper form on Smith squats and hamstring curls, less so on the db overhead presses. I give this workout a B-. Also could have gone 2 extra reps on the seated calf raises. Skipped doing standing calf raises b/c of time, so will work those in later in the week.

Mealz:

1a: pre-workout shake and cottage cheese.
1b: post-workout shake.
1c: breakfast burrito (sausage, peppers, onions and scrambled eggs) and hash browns.

I really have to eat more, even if it means getting up earlier (geesh).

2: Irish oatmeal topped with trail mix. Good stuff. Too much dried pineapple tho.

3: Balsamic grilled chicken, steamed carrots, red beans and rice. Passed on the broccoli b/c our corporate cafeteria is the only place I know of on this green earth where a stalk of steamed broccoli sometimes tastes like woody rawness.

4: 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt, fruit, trail mix, a protein bar.

5: broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, leftover couscous, cauliflower.

6: gonna take a page off of Will's journal (heheh) and try the oatmeal in the evening trick. prob toss in some beans for protein and a whey shake.

Penny for your thoughts: It is a corollary of law firms that for every whining ninny and anal-retentive f***face, there are a bunch of nice guys. Well hopefully that corollary holds true because today was the first day of the annual invasion of the summer associates. Imagine a bunch of totally green second and third year law school students making their way to one of the shrines of "big bucks, no whammy, STOP!". Experience shows that all of them are eager to make an impression so as to receive an offer of employment when they graduate from law school. Experience also shows that although many of them will succeed, quite a few fail spectacularly. There was the case of the litigation summer who showed A LOT of skin and then some at her first firm social function by wearing an illegal miniskirt and sitting next to a bunch of partners. (The reverse of Omarosa comes to mind.) There was the case of the M&A summer who refused to do any work at all for one particularly complex and intensive case. And there was the case of the clueless associate who emblazoned "THIS JOB SUCKS" on top of a computer in his office at the moment a partner walked into the room.

It sounds like L.A. Law...but with not as good looking lawyers.

Soba

JustinF
05-17-2004, 06:55 AM
Although not real easy to see with the clothes on, it does appear you have gained some.

Keep up the hard work bro!

Focused70
05-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Mr. J: Yeah, I got the heebie-jeebies at the last minute b/c I realized that there's no way I'm going to show skin until I have *some* definition. I do have a pic of me but I'm standing there relaxed, not flexed. Not courageous enough yet I guess.

Tanks for the props tho.

Soba

Coke
05-17-2004, 08:23 AM
...can't say anything about the pic since I have not posted mine yet - one of these days bro, lol. And you are right, with the shirt on it is difficult to see but I know you have made gains.

Focused70
05-17-2004, 08:54 AM
C-man: Thanks, guy. Maybe I'll post the other pic later. heh.

Soba

Focused70
05-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Tuesday, May 18, 2004:

I have moderate DOMS in my delts and mild to moderate DOMS in my legs. Hm, must be the eye before the storm. I've been told the second day is when the brown stuff hits the proverbial fan.

Mealz

1a: one scoop of Nitrotech w/soy. Drunk within 15 minutes of getting up. God I hate getting up. The snooze button and I are bosom buddies.

1b: sausage breakfast burrito and hash browns. For all the faults of our cafeteria, there is a guy down there who makes some mean hash browns. He should get a raise.

2: turkey picatta, steamed mixed veg, rice pilaf. an orange. more water. ok, well I don't loathe it that much, as long as it's not dry.

3: 2 cups of plain unsweetened yogurt and a protein bar.

4: broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, couscous, steamed cauliflower. glass of plain soy milk.

5: cottage cheese.

Penny for your thoughts: This is a quote from my favorite blog, Eurotrash (http://upsaid.com/eurotrash/):

Which is why I was initially delighted that those champions of sexual freedom at Cosmopolitan had taken time out from instructing us on this seasons new pubic hair styles, to tell us yet again what men really want.

"Instead of just diving right into sex, spread a bedsheet between us and grind over me. The heat from your body and the softness of the fabric feels incredible."

Hasidic sex. Now that is kinky.

I'd quote from the rest of the article, but I'm afraid even that small sample is a bit too racy for y'all around here. :rolleyes:

Soba

JustinF
05-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Quick question. You probably answered it already, but I'm a lazy prick and don't feel like going back. :p

Is there a reason you do smith squats as opposed to free weight?

Focused70
05-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Justin: Because I'm concerned with form and establishing a base of strength before I move on to free weights. You hear me talk about "my core" and "balance" all the time -- keep in mind that up until December I had never lifted a weight in my life and since the accident I've been working on strengthening my core and sense of balance. All those Pilates-type/balance movements I do on ab day work a long way towards that goal. Eventually I will move on towards free weights but not until *I* feel sufficiently comfortable to do so.

Soba

Focused70
05-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Wednesday, May 19, 2004....

Weekly Weigh-in: 163.5
At the rate this is going, I'll probably start cutting around September. Yay iz me.

Mealz

1a: two scoops of Nitrotech w/o soy.
I woke up at 9:15....uh, I was soooooo late, I had to get into the office in 45 minutes. Would've been more substantial otherwise.

1b: bacon and potato frittata, fruit, two cups of unsweetened yogurt.
Cafeteria was looking pretty bare by the time I got down there. :mad:

2: grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, ratatouille. an orange and water.

3: two cups of plain unsweetened yogurt (bleh), trail mix and a protein bar. more water.

Tomorrow is chest and tris.

Soba

Coke
05-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Still moving up, that is great dude...looks like are gaining a couple of pounds each week on average - :thumbup:

cphafner
05-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Soba. Reading over your journal, and it seems like you've made great gains. Keep up the good work.

PS Are you from NYC?

Focused70
05-19-2004, 10:52 AM
CoCoa and cphafner: Gracias, amigos. And may the gains keep on coming.

I'm originally from the Philippines, by way of Northern California (6 months) and New Jersey (12 years). Been in NYC since 1988.

Soba

cphafner
05-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Cool. I'm NY to NC(5 years), now hopefully back to NY.

Focused70
05-19-2004, 11:26 AM
cphafner: Guess you'll have to regale us with stories of North Cakalacky, won'tcha? heheh.

Soba

fuzz
05-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Justin: Because I'm concerned with form and establishing a base of strength before I move on to free weights. You hear me talk about "my core" and "balance" all the time -- keep in mind that up until December I had never lifted a weight in my life and since the accident I've been working on strengthening my core and sense of balance. All those Pilates-type/balance movements I do on ab day work a long way towards that goal. Eventually I will move on towards free weights but not until *I* feel sufficiently comfortable to do so.

Soba

I'll have to respectfully disagree with your reasoning, here. If you want to establish core strength and develop form, you should start with free weights right off the bat. If you have to squat just the bar, or even a dowel, do that to start, but don't short change yourself with things like the Smith machine. A few reasons:
- free weights hit stablizers and core muscles that machines never will
- you are establishing movement patterns with the smith machine that will be difficult to un-learn when you want to go to free weights
- practice makes perfect - there is no better way to get form down with free weights then repetition

Take it for what you will...

Focused70
05-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Fuzz: We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

Everyone is different, and while what you said is true, I know what works for me. If you've been reading along, I worked on Nautilus machines for a while before I resumed my split. Have no phear, I'll eventually move on to free weights.

Soba

Focused70
05-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Thursday, May 20, 2004:

Day 1: Chest and tris

Stealing a few things from Rene's journal...

+#R indicates rep increase
+#W indicates weight increase.
+! Indicates PR

...only because I'm not terribly original. Sue me. =P

1: Smith flat bench presses: 25x8 (warmup), 50x8 (+10W), 60x6 (+10W), 60x6*
Last three reps of last set assisted. Spotter was doing deads, first time I've ever seen anyone in my gym do deads. :eek: I wonder if that's a sign from god.

2: Smith incline bench: 20x8, 30x8, 30x6
Will probably up the weight next time to start off at 30. Seems like things are progressing slowly. Last time, 35 was a bit difficult.

3: Pec flyes: 30x12, 40x10, 60x6 (+2R)
I had forgotten to take a look at my journal this morning so no change from last week, except for the third set.

4. Hammer incline press: 20x6, 30x6 (+10W), 30x6
Slowly getting the hang of this, in that both arms are doing the work equally although my left side is still slightly weaker than my right.

5. Tricep pulldowns: 30x8 (+15W), 40x8 (+20W), 50x6 (+25W)
These were pretty good, for the most part.

6. Assisted dips: 17x12, 16x12 (+1W), 17x12
Ditto.

Notes: Nothing particularly stands out as, in the words of a former psych professor, "an egregious faux-pas"...so I give this workout a B.

Things are coming together slowly but surely. Some changes are noticeable especially my chest and legs. It'll be a while before I officially have "pecs" though. :eek: The free weights will come in due time, probably in about a month.

Mealz

1a. Pre-workout shake and some fruit.
1b. Two scoops of Nitrotech w/soy.
1c: HUGE frickin bowl of Irish oatmeal, a banana and two cups of unsweetened yogurt.

2: veal loaf, corn and carrots, smashed potatoes. fruit.

3: handful (not kidding, heh) of hardboiled eggs, a protein bar, a banana.
Once in a while I get sick of unsweetened yogurt, so managed to swipe some eggs from the cafeteria before it closed.

4: dinner in the East Village: hiyayakko tofu (cold tofu topped with shaved bonito), salmon teriyaki and sashimi. Having a can of albacore tuna for dessert. :)

5: not yet, but gonna be a bedtime shake.

Penny for your thoughts: "The mind is its own place, and in itself /Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven." --John Milton

Soba

edit: I just noticed I now have a "last page" in this journal. I have arrived. :thumbup:

JustinF
05-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Nice work. If you were a true post-whore, you would've created a new post for that last tidbit of info, not an edit. You have almost arrived. ;)

Coke
05-20-2004, 09:44 AM
You are interesting and have a good journal...the workouts are coming along so I'd say you are in there, lol - ;)

Focused70
05-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Justin: True, true. My post count would be way higher if I'd make a post for every time I check into this journal instead of updating and editing as I go along. S'ok though. I'm not competing with Will for the WBB awards. *hides behind a curtain*

CoCoa: Danke, Herr Chocolate Bar. :)

CrackSoba

pruneman
05-20-2004, 03:53 PM
i like how meal 1 has three parts

Focused70
05-20-2004, 06:49 PM
pruneman: It's only divided into three parts because I kinda consider that to be all one meal. Bedtime shakes are a meal in themselves b/c I usually add stuff to those like pb, fruit, yogurt, dry milk powder, etc. plus I use the blender. When I get up in the morning, my roomie's still sleeping so I can't use the blender like I want to; when I get back from the gym, I have less than an hour to get into the office, so it's just enough time to make a shake and chug it down. By the time 10 am rolls around, I'm having my real breakfast. All the crap beforehand was just playacting. heh.

Soba

rookiebldr
05-20-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm not competing with Will for the WBB awards. *hides behind a curtain*

So few do, that's why he wins. ;)

Focused70
05-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Friday, May 21, 2004:

Yay for DOMS. I was worried that yesterday wasn't going to be productive. Silly me.

Mealz:

1a. One scoop of Nitrotech w/no soy.
Just a chaser to keep me going while I got my ass to work.

1b: Two cups of unsweetened yogurt (1 cup has 9 g of protein btw. Most flavored yogurts have sugar and thus lower protein counts), a couple of bananas and a peach and the obligatory HUGE ass bowl of Irish oatmeal (thanks to Justin).

2: two 8 oz. burgers w/fresh mozz. and roasted red peppers. roasted zucchini and onions. more fruit and water.
it was a tossup between buffalo wings (nah), crab cakes, grilled chicken and teh burgers. I'll probably get some cottage cheese later.

3: two cups of unsweetened yogurt, a protein bar, an orange and a peach.

4: broiled skinless boneless chicken breast, steamed broccoli, couscous.

5: not yet.

Penny for your thoughts: "Much learning does not teach understanding." --Heraclitus, from On the Universe

Soba

Focused70
05-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Rookie: Shouldn't there be an award for "Lowest post count on WBB" or something like that? heh.

Soba

wibble
05-21-2004, 04:33 PM

Whats irish oatmeal? I can't help but think its either a fancy name for Lucky Charms or a bowl of oatmeal with booze in it. :)

Focused70
05-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Wibble: Clickety (http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/products.html)

Soba

wibble
05-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Ahh, so its just regular oatmeal then like Quaker oats and stuff. Thanks. :)

Focused70
05-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Saturday, May 22, 2004:

Gee, y'all have been busy. Serves me right for sleeping in. :)

1: Wide-grip lat pulldowns: 60x8 (+10W), 70x8 (+10W), 70x6
Last time I started at 50 and worked incrementally up to 70. I remember that 70 was too heavy for me and I was struggling from the first rep. This time wasn't so bad. 60 seemed just about right. Third rep of the third set was around where I started to give out. Might push it up to 80 next time. Have to remember to squeeeeeeze on the way down though.

2. Cybex seated rows: 50x8 (+5W), 70x8 (+5W), 80x6 (+5W)
Progressing. Have to remember to keep my core nice and tight.

3. Nautilus pullovers: 60x8 (+10W), 70x8 (+10W), 80x6 (+10W)
Nothing to report here. Next week, will ditch these and work on chin-ups instead.

4. Assisted chin-ups: 17x8, 17x6
These definitely need work. Have to review form if there are any vids of these on the site. Not sure if I was doing them correctly. At least I can now do a chinup whereas when I first started I could barely get past the bar.

5. One arm bent over db rows: 15x12 (+2R), 20x12 (+2R)
No change from last time, except in reps. I might move these up earlier so I'm not as bombed. If you're reading my journal, and I know you are....I'd appreciate a suggestion or two. My PT had me do these towards the end of the back portion of my workout but I'm thinking that I should adjust the order. I could be wrong though.

6. Lower back extensions: BW+10x12, BW+25x12 (+15W), BW+25x10
Word to the mother.

7. Nautilus bicep curl machine: 40x8 (+5W), 40x6
Still gimping out on the second set but getting there, slowly.

8. Cable biceps curl: 30x8 (+10W), 40x7 (+10W)
This was slightly better.

+! Indicates PR

Notes: Nothing stands out in bold relief apart from the chin-ups and the back extensions. I might need a second opinion on lower back extensions: I'm concerned that I'm not doing them properly. I give this workout a B-.

Mealz

1: 2 scoops of whey, 4 egg white omelette, glass of soy milk, whole wheat toast, some fruit.
The next batch of whey I get will be something that tastes great instead of like castor oil. I told myself it was for a good cause as I downed it though.

2a: 2 scoops of nasty-strawberry flavored whey/dextrose mix with soy milk to help wash out the taste.

2b: a HUGE bowl of nonfat cottage cheese with one can of drained water packed tuna with some mustard mixed in.

3: broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, couscous, steamed broccoli.

4: grilled chicken w/bbq sauce and white sauce, salad and rice.

5: bedtime shake and some fruit.

Penny for your thoughts: "....Out, out, brief candle! /Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player, /That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, /And then is heard no more: it is a tale /Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, /Signifying nothing." --William Shakespeare, Macbeth (V, v, 23-28)

Tomorrow is abz.

Monday is wheelz and deltz.

Soba

Coke
05-22-2004, 10:15 PM
...lol, I don't know if it is just me or not, but it looks like you are doing more and more each time out - ;)

Keep up the good work!

ectx
05-22-2004, 11:44 PM
strawberry whey is the worst. I returned a batch once. Chocolate is usually the better tasting one, and vanilla's neutral enough for you to use on anything and add your own flavor to.

Focused70
05-23-2004, 03:24 PM
CoCoa: I try. Thanks for the props. :)

Rene: That's what soy milk is for. Fortunately even the unsweetened flavor masks the taste just enough for me to suck it up.

Stash

Focused70
05-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Sunday, May 23, 2004

Only 366 days left till Episode III!

Day 4: Abz

1: Crunches: 3 sets of 35 (+15R)
2: Plank: 3 sets @ 35 seconds each (+1 set)
3: Scissor kicks: 2 sets @ 30 each
4: Leg raises: 2 sets @ 12 each, for a slow count of 10 per rep (+2R)
5: Wall crunches: Feet at a 90 degree angle; 1 set of 20 (+5R)
6: Situps: 2 sets of 20, for a slow count of 5 per rep (+8R)

Mealz

1: 4 egg white omelette, 2 scoops of whey w/soy milk, whole wheat toast, fruit.

2: grilled chicken w/yogurt sauce, salad and rice.

3: cottage cheese. 2 scoops of whey w/soy milk.

Penny for your thoughts: "If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done." -- Peter Ustinov (1921 -- 2004)

Soba

Focused70
05-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Monday, May 24, 2004:

Day 5: Wheelz and deltz

Both squat racks (Smith and freestanding) were being used by everyone and their grandmother. At our gym, both double as squats (and with the addition of a bench), bench presses. It's like today everyone was working their upper body by mass consent. :confused: What are we, the Borg?

+! Indicates PR

1: Leg extensions: 50x15, 75x10, 85x8
Today was my last day with my PT, which is the only reason these were done.

2: Hack squat: barx15 (+5R), 25x10 (+5W), 35x8 (+25W)
Coming along.

3: Leg press: 90x12 (+20W), 130x10 (+40W), 140x9 +3R!
Last set was NOT assisted. :thumbup:

4. Cybex leg curls: 20x10, 30x10, 30x10
Progressing. Did each leg separately, as supersets, hence the lower weight from the Nautilus machine last week.

5. Donkey calf raises: 40x20, 65x15, 80x8*
Would've been ten but I'm a gimp. This is a new exercise (well it's a new machine. Not sure which I prefer.) I think the regular seated ones for now, since it uses actual weights. I'm looking forward to moving away from most of these machines.

6. Dumbell overhead press: 10x12, 10x10, 12x8
Getting form down pat.

7. Dumbell front raises: 8x12, 8x12
Form was better second set. Need to relax my shoulders more. Left side is somehow weaker than my right EVEN THOUGH I'm a lefty. Weird.

Notes: Ok, my legs are officially fried. Not as fried as last week cuz no squatz were done but they're still fried. I need to go get some breakfast. I give this workout a B. Not bad, but could've been better.

Mealz

1a: pre-workout shake (2 scoops of whey/dextrose w/ soy milk) and some fruit.
1b: post-workout shake (ditto).
1c: 8 oz. cold sliced chicken. rigatoni with pesto. two cups of unsweetened yogurt and a banana.
I had gotten to the cafeteria too late for breakfast service so I have an early lunch. My first lunch of the day. LOL.

2: grilled chicken (with the obligatory slice of cheese on top), carrots, rice. broccoli rabe salad. water.

3: fruit and trail mix. need to swipe a protein bar later.

Penny for your thoughts: "Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb." -- Sir Winston Churchill

Soba

cphafner
05-24-2004, 08:58 AM
Nice work Soba!

wibble
05-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Nice job with all the PRs Soba! :thumbup:

ericg
05-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Nice looking journal man. I breezed through it real quick but I do see some nice strength gains! That sucks about the heel, glad to see its all heeled now ;) Keep up the hard work

Oh and.....

Focused70
05-24-2004, 10:31 AM
cphafner/wibble: Thanks for the kind words.

ericg: Thanks for the spam. You should try it with pizza (and pineapple) some time.

Random blather: I'm never gonna be a baldy. Teh baldy look looks cool. heheh.

Stash

xraygirl
05-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Both squat racks (Smith and freestanding) were being used by everyone and their grandmother. At our gym, both double as squats (and with the addition of a bench), bench presses. It's like today everyone was working their upper body by mass consent. :confused: What are we, the Borg?
'fraid so. It's the universal law of weight training. "Thou shalt work thy chest on Monday. If not, the happy gods of bodybuilding will not smile upon thy countenance and thy bench shalll never progress." It sucks, but who are we to tempt the happy gods of bodybuilding?

Dumbell front raises: 8x12, 8x12
Form was better second set. Need to relax my shoulders more. Left side is somehow weaker than my right EVEN THOUGH I'm a lefty. Weird.
Weird indeed. I had the same problem. When you lie on your back, does one of your legs turn out to the side? If so, I would get to a chiropractor. They seem unrelated, but trust me, they're not.

Okay, that's it... carry on. :D

JustinF
05-24-2004, 02:55 PM
ericg: Thanks for the spam. You should try it with pizza (and pineapple) some time.

http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/krank/puke.gif

Focused70
05-24-2004, 03:51 PM
xraygirl: Not to my knowledge. When I'm lying flat on my back, usually both legs are as normal. Unless you mean something else and I'm not catching your drift?

I think it comes as a result of my tendency as a kid to carry my bookbag on my shoulders, and I favored my right shoulder most of the time. I have a tendency to raise one side or the other when I'm doing dumbell related work, something I'm seeking to correct.

Justin: I was just kidding dude. Actually, I prefer vienna sausages. :)

Stash

xraygirl
05-24-2004, 04:22 PM
xraygirl: Not to my knowledge. When I'm lying flat on my back, usually both legs are as normal. Unless you mean something else and I'm not catching your drift?

I think it comes as a result of my tendency as a kid to carry my bookbag on my shoulders, and I favored my right shoulder most of the time. I have a tendency to raise one side or the other when I'm doing dumbell related work, something I'm seeking to correct.

mmmkay...just checking.
Try doing your front raises at the cable station until you get the shoulder elevation under control.

DoUgL@S
05-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Lifts going up every session. You are doing great IMO. Keep it up. Oh and I like the quotes, very entertaining.

2b: a HUGE bowl of nonfat cottage cheese with one can of drained water packed tuna with some mustard mixed in.

How did that taste?

Focused70
05-24-2004, 07:39 PM
Xraygirl: Thanks for the tip. Posted a query about that in the training section.

DM: Nonfat is best for toppings. In my infinite ignorance :) I swiped two containers of 4% milkfat cottage cheese. Was wondering why it tasted extra creamy. I prefer 2% or less. Thanks for the kind words, btw.

I like entertaining ppl. :eek:

Soba

chops
05-24-2004, 10:11 PM
hi soba!
you've made a lot of progress since the last time i posted here. congats!

tuna and cott cheese sounds nasty, but hey, whatever works for you :)

Focused70
05-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Tuesday, May 25, 2004:

Ok, my calves hate me. It's all good anyway.

Weekly Weigh-In: 165.5

Not too bad. I should've cut out the weight gain shakes and put in the whey shakes much sooner. Gotten used to the taste now. Thank god for soy milk.

Mealz

1a: 2 scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk. I got up around 7:30 to bio break. Should've stayed up. Drunk within 15 minutes of getting up the second time around, just to keep me going until I get into the office.
1b: 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt, a vat of oatmeal, an orange and a couple of peaches. Got into the office at 10:25. YIKES! Then a fire drill for 20 minutes. :cry: Didn't feel like hash browns, so...

2: roast beef (YAY!!!), orzo, side salad (along with a scoop or two of flaked tuna and a hardboiled egg). couple of bananas.
skipped the breaded turkey breast

3: 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt and a protein bar. You'd think that after all this time, I'd be used to the taste...but nooooo, I still gag on occasion. It's at times like this that I wish there was the gustatory equivalent of a white noise machine. I'd be first in line to buy one.

4: Thai marinated roasted chicken, jasmine rice, salad. Summer roll with peanut sauce. Green tea.

5: Cottage cheese topped with sweet chili sauce and chopped peanuts. Two scoops of whey/dextrose with soy milk.

Penny for your thoughts: "Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star." --Confucius

Soba

Focused70
05-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Chops: :hello:

Tuna + cottage cheese = 360 calories and 67 g of protein, with very little fat! (Usually 1 can of water packed, chunk albacore tuna, drained and 1 cup of cottage cheese. Can't beat that.)

edit: yes, I know, I'm a baaaaad little wannabe bodybuilder for not listing caloric counts, g of protein, carbs and fat when I list my diet, but rest assured that I make sure to get more than enough protein/carbs/fat/fiber each day. Calories are not usually a problem for me, even though I try to keep things as cleanly as possible. I guess I'll hunker down and get to it one of these days, but it's not a priority for me right now.

Random blather: I have to get a tape measure so I can take my measurements. (*cringe*)

Stash

ectx
05-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Tuesday, May 25, 2004:
Drunk within 15 minutes of getting up ...

Soba

OMG...STASH, YOU LUSH!

Focused70
05-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Rene: Don't you know you can't keep a grown man from his morning liquour? ;)

Stash

Focused70
05-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Wednesday, May 26, 2004:

Went to bed at midnight....but I went to sleep with the light on!!! (Whatever!) So I wake up around 5, turn it off and then wake up again around 9, fly out of bed and in the office by 10. Gack.

Mealz

1a: Two scoops of whey/dextrose with soy milk.
1b: Cream of rice mixed with mostly oatmeal, two cups of unsweetened yogurt, and fruit. Weird. Usually the tub of oatmeal is half empty, this morning it was 98% gone.

2: Roasted red pepper and potato soup. Grilled ancho chicken breast with jack cheese and avocado. Barley pilaf. Spinach. Water. Unlike Rene, I don't feel the least bit guilty about going off diet slightly. :D

3: Sweet/hot sausage, pepper and onion hero sammich. See above. Neener, neener.

4: broiled steak, steamed rice, broccoli. grapefruit juice.

5: two scoops of whey/dextrose w/ soy milk.

Penny for your thoughts: "In Hollywood, a marriage is a success if it outlasts milk." --Rita Rudner

Tomorrow teh cycle begins all over again....so to bed by 9:30 tonight.

Soba

cphafner
05-26-2004, 10:38 AM
tuna and CC? gross. What kind of work do you do Soba?

Focused70
05-26-2004, 11:12 AM
cphafner: Yeah, but it's good for me. :)

I'm a career paralegal. Click here (http://www.sullcrom.com) to find out where I work.

Soba

DoUgL@S
05-26-2004, 04:26 PM
I think Patty mentioned something about recommending doing them early on...yeah I'm a wuss.

Stash

Don't be a wuss. DO DEADS! Nuff said.

D

Focused70
05-26-2004, 04:59 PM
DM: Oh, I plan on doing them...eventually. Just not right now....more like six weeks from now when I hook with Natalia again. :hump:

Stash

JustinF
05-27-2004, 05:40 AM
cottage cheese + tuna is the shizzie!! :thumbup:

cphafner
05-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Soba: very cool. My dad is an attorney, so when I'm home I'm like his free paralegal. I'm always helping him organize his files, and he has me run around the island/city to file documents and the such. I also do occasional research for him on some of his cases.

Coke
05-27-2004, 08:37 AM
We can all stay at Soba's for The Night of the Champions next year in NYC, isn't that great? lol - :D

Focused70
05-27-2004, 08:42 AM
JustinF: even better is tuna + red kidney beans + cottage cheese. (but probably not for everyone. *cough cough*)

cphafner: amazing how much they pay me for basically pushing paper. :D

CoCoa: I think my roomie might have something to say about that. heh.

Stash

Focused70
05-27-2004, 09:14 AM
Thursday, May 27, 2004:

Payday iz today!!! Ah, the glories of direct deposit. :)

Skipped hammer incline presses b/c of time. Am I a bad person? That's ok. Tris are fried, thanks to Uncle Pauly's suggestion of working dips before pressdowns.

+! Indicates PR

1: Smith flat bench presses: 30x8 (warmup), 55x8 (+5W), 60x6, 60x5*
Gimped last set. :mad: Probably could have gone more if I had had a spotter.

2: Smith incline bench presses: 25x8 (+5W), 30x10* (+2R), 35x9* (+5W/+1R)
Last few reps of 2nd and 3rd sets assisted.

3: Pec flyes: 40x8 (+10W), 50x6 (+10W), 60x6
Good stuff.

4: Assisted dips: 17x10, 16x12, 15x10* (+1W)
Last rep of last set could have been better

5: Tricep pulldowns: 40x8 (+10W), 50x6 (+10W)
Skipped last set b/c of time. I probably could have done one more but it was a little past 9 and I didn't want to be late again.

Notes: Other than an "egregious faux-pas" during my bench, there weren't very many errors. Dips could have been slightly better. Will ditch the Smith inclines next time. I probably could do regular benches at this point but somehow don't feel mentally ready -- another week or so. Also, will do a light set of pec flyes before benching next time. Learned a new stretch today. I give this workout a B.

Mealz

1a: 1 cup of cottage cheese
1b: 2 scoops of whey/dextrose with soy milk.
1c: hash browns, a couple of hard boiled eggs, and fruit salad.

2: minestrone. broiled salmon, rice, steamed broccoli. I'll never figure out how the cafeteria can ruin a perfectly good stalk of broccoli. its either rabbit food or broccoli mush. today was just this side of slightly overdone.

3: grilled chicken, rice, salad.

4: one can o' water-packed chunk albacore tuna, drained -- and mixed with 1/2 c. of cottage cheese, w/sriracha and chopped peanuts. didn't pay attention to the taste...I was eating it while surfing the net and reading el mexicano azul's journal.

5: two scoops of whey w/soy milk.

Penny for your thoughts: "If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead." --Johnny Carson

Soba

cphafner
05-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Nice work soba.

Focused70
05-27-2004, 10:27 PM
cphafner: Danke mucho.

Stash

Focused70
05-27-2004, 10:47 PM
ok, here are *MY* measurements. (*cringe*)

I dun' wanna hear how Will-boy says he's skinny. If Will's "skinny", I'm damn near anorexic. Whatever!

Chest: 34 1/2"
Left arm: 11 1/2"
Right arm: 12"
Waist: 34 1/2" :cry:
Left thigh: 21"
Right thigh: 21"
Left calf: 14"
Right calf: 13"
Forearms: 10"

As you can see, a long way to go. That's ok...I *will* get there, eventually. My arms are fairly long. Long torso -- and even longer legs. Tall, lanky....that's me. I have a feeling though that my legs will get there way before my arms will. :swear:

Stash

JustinF
05-28-2004, 03:50 AM
Nice session Soba.

You have good measurements to start out. Now eat Mr. Anorexia!! ;)

pruneman
05-28-2004, 07:14 AM
Your sessions are looking very strong soba. Don't be discouraged by your progress. Your dedication is obvious and results are just a matter of time now. Keep up the hard work and youll have your size before you know it. :thumbup:

ectx
05-28-2004, 07:29 AM
I have a feeling though that my legs will get there way before my arms will. :swear:

Stash

It's much better to have big legs than big arms. It gives you license to be a curl jockey. That is a Good Thing™ (despite what others may say, lol). You're doing great stash. Your dedication to diet and training are starting to show...and you're also becoming a wbb junky. LOL.

cphafner
05-28-2004, 07:33 AM
Looks liek a good starting point to me, you have no where to go but up! Keep at it Soba, you'll get there.

Coke
05-28-2004, 07:39 AM
You are already in there bro...see, that is why I don't take stats or overuse the scale - it doesn't matter!

Better keep on keeping on because you are with it and don't forget it mang - :)

Focused70
05-28-2004, 08:35 AM
ok...what exactly is a curl jockey?

Me dumb American. :)

Stash

Focused70
05-28-2004, 08:45 AM
ectx/cphafner/pruneman/C-man/Justin: With a crew like you, who needs a cheering squad? heh. Thanks, guys.

Stash

Focused70
05-28-2004, 08:53 AM
Friday, May 28, 2004:

You have to say "Friday" like "Fry-uh-day" like a former psych teacher I had back in high school -- yes -- the same one who taught us all about an "egregious faux-pas".

Funny the things you remember from high school.

Mealz

1: Two cups of unsweetened yogurt, a vat of oatmeal, an orange and a banana. I woke up late (because I like sleeping) and didn't have time to down a whey shake. :eek: I'll make up for it later though.

2: Lemon garlic chicken breast, bowl of salad with a few hardboiled eggs to give it some oomph.

3: A protein bar and some fruit. (more bananas and a couple of pears.)

4: grilled chicken, salad and rice.

5: to come.

Penny for your thoughts: "Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends." --J.R.R. Tolkien, from "The Two Towers", Book Four, Chapter One.

Soba

DoUgL@S
05-28-2004, 12:37 PM
ok, here are *MY* measurements. (*cringe*)

I dun' wanna hear how Will-boy says he's skinny. If Will's "skinny", I'm damn near anorexic. Whatever!

Chest: 34 1/2"
Left arm: 11 1/2"
Right arm: 12"
Waist: 34 1/2" :cry:
Left thigh: 21"
Right thigh: 21"
Left calf: 14"
Right calf: 13"
Forearms: 10"

As you can see, a long way to go. That's ok...I *will* get there, eventually. My arms are fairly long. Long torso -- and even longer legs. Tall, lanky....that's me. I have a feeling though that my legs will get there way before my arms will. :swear:

Stash

The good thing is that all the important measurements appear to be going up along with your strength. Work everything HARD. You can only gain how you were genetically predisposed to, but that does not mean that you cannot get big all around. Hard work and patience young padawan. :D

Alke
05-28-2004, 06:13 PM
hey, first time in here, WTF?! did you mix the cottage cheese and the tuna together?

so you bulking I take it?

Focused70
05-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Master Yogurt: You forgot to say, may the Schwartz be with you. :)

Kenn: Welcome to my journal. Tuna + cottage cheese = lots of protein goodness! :D Don't knock it till you try it. Yep, I'm bulking to about 175/180 before I cut. At the rate I'm gaining, it might be five weeks but I'll give myself ten since there's some concern that I'm accumulating fat as well. (I hate looking at my waist. :( )

A friend of mine thinks that the most muscle you can naturally gain in a year is 7 lbs. of muscle. I'm not exactly sure if he's right or if he's smokin' some crack.

Off to the gym in 30. Today is back and bi day. Lata.

Stash

Leprechaun
05-29-2004, 03:24 PM
The favor of the druids is upon you ;)

wibble
05-29-2004, 04:13 PM
He's definitely smoking crack. Look at aka, he's put on like 30lbs of muscle in a year and not an ounce of fat. I put on about 17lbs since Christmas, some of it fat some muscle. I would bet the majoirty was muscle though since I only gained an inch on my waist and anywhere from .5-2 inches everywhere else. I'm also lean everywhere else but my belly. :)

Keep doing what you're doing and you'll have no trouble putting on 7lbs of muscle in a couple months.

Focused70
05-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Saturday, May 29, 2004:

It's gonna be a while before I have any red exclamation marks for back and bi day. My wheelz are my strong point...imagine that. heh. I'll try to keep all y'all entertained until then.

Day 3: Back and bis

+! Indicates PR

1: Lat pulldowns: 70x8 (+10W), 80x8, 80x6*
Coming along. First set was pretty easy. Third set could have been better. Need to remember to squeeze on the way down.

2: Seated Cybex rows: 65x8 (+15W), 75x8 (+5W), 85x6 (+5W)
Yep.

3: Assisted chin-ups: 17x12, 16x10 (+1W), 17x9
Much better but might start lighter next time so as to work on form.

4: One arm bent-over db rows: 20x8 (+5W), 20x8
Much better but may move this one one up so as not to be too fatigued...

5: Standing dumbell shrugs: 15x15, 20x12
Could have gone heavier, but did feel it about halfway through. Need a second eye for form issues. Also less REPS. I want traps like Chicken Daddy's. heheh. New exercise for me.

6: Lower back extensions: BWx12, BW+10x12, BW+10x12
Went lighter because of concerns about form.

7: Nautilus bicep curls: 35x8, 40x8
Coming along, could have been better though. Should replace this with barbell curls next time.

8: Cable bicep curls: 40x7 (+10W), 50x5* (+10W)
Pretty good. Should have gone second set of 40 and a third set of 50 but only 4 reps.

Notes: With a few exceptions, this was much better this time around, although I should get a second set of eyes as far as form is concerned. A PT suggested that I use machines for the lower back extensions but I don't want to use a machine...

Re lower back extensions, my concern is that I'm not coming up high enough or that I'm coming up too high, or that I'm bouncing at the end of a rep as I caught myself doing once.

Anyway, I give this workout a B.

Mealz

1: 5 egg white omelette with/2 eggs, couple of slices of whole wheat toast, some tangerines. glass of grapefruit juice. two scoops of whey/dextrose w/vanilla soy milk.

2: two scoops of whey/dextrose w/natty pb and soy milk.

3: can of chunk albacore tuna, drained, mixed with one cup of cottage cheese and LOTS of Mrs. Dash.

4: STEAK!!! brown rice. (boo hiss boo.) salad. falafel with carrot tahini.

5: two scoops of whey/dextrose with soy milk and some fruit.

Penny for your thoughts: "Early to rise and early to bed makes a male healthy and wealthy and dead." --James Thurber (American author, humorist, cartoonist and satirist (1894-1961)) from New Yorker magazine, Feb. 18, 1939, "The Shrike and the Chipmunks"

Stash

Focused70
05-29-2004, 05:18 PM
Leprechaun: Erin go bragh! Thanks man. No relation to Patty, eh? :D

Wibble: Thought so. He also said I didn't need to eat as much protein.... :eek: Just checking.

Stash

Focused70
05-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Sunday, May 30, 2004:

hm, have DOMS in my biceps. Guess I must have done something right...heh.

+! Indicates PR

1: Crunches: 3 sets of 45 (+10R)
2: Plank: 3 sets @ 40 seconds each (+5 seconds)
3: Scissor kicks: 3 sets @ 30 each (+1 set)
4: Leg raises: 2 sets @ 12 each and 1 set of 6, for a slow count of 10 per rep (+1 set)
5: Wall crunches: Feet at a 90 degree angle; 1 set of 30 (+10R)
6: Situps: 2 sets of 30, for a slow count of 5 per rep (+10R)

Tomorrow is wheelz and deltz.... (bwahahahaha)

Mealz

1: 4 egg white omelette, whole wheat toast, tall glass of OJ. Two scoops of whey/dextrose w/natty pb and soy milk.

2: grilled chicken, salad and rice.

3: broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, brown rice, broccoli.

4: tuna + cottage cheese. (Yes, mixed together. heheh.)

5: two scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk and fruit.

Penny for your thoughts: "The reason there are two senators for each state is so that one can be the designated driver." --Jay Leno

Stash

Focused70
05-31-2004, 12:14 PM
Monday, May 31, 2004:

Day 5: Wheelz and deltz!

+! Indicates PR

1: Smith squats: 20x15 (warmup), 50x12 (+10W), 60x12 (+10W), 70x10 (+10W)
Almost ready to take on regular squats. These were near perfect, although done with the assistance of a trainer. Form progressed throughout the workout so that second and third sets were better than near the beginning.

2: Leg presses: 100x8 (+10W), 130x8, 150x8 (+10W!)
Could have gone heavier second set...

3: Hack squats: barx8, 30x8 (+5W), 40x8 (+10W)

4: Seated calf raises: 35x15 (+10W), 45x15 (+10W/+5R!)
I'm proud of myself for gritting my teeth and not gimping out when I could have.

5: Dumbell overhead presses: 10x8, 10x8, 15x8 (+5W)
Time to up the weight next time.

6. Dumbell front raises: 10x8, 10x8
Much better this time, shoulder strength seems to be coming along. I was going to do cable front raises if the db overhead presses didn't work well but decided to scrap things at the last moment.

7. Icarian rear delt extensions: 40x8, 50x8 (+10W)
Not much to report here.

8: Donkey calf raises: 40x15, 60x15, 80x10 (+2R)
Think I might up the weight next time. Decided to blast my calves as a consolation prize. Waddled on home. :thumbup:

Notes: Other than slight form issues on squats, este entrenamiento asombraba. (That's Spanglish for "a fooking amazing workout" for all y'all language-challenged jotos out there. :nod: No names are necessary.)

I give this workout a B+.

Mealz

1: 4 egg white omelette w/1 egg, whole wheat toast, grapefruit juice. Two scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk.

2: Two scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk. A can of water-packed chunk albacore, drained and mixed w/a cup of nonfat cottage cheese.

3: Chirashi sushi. (More like a variety of raw fish over Japanese rice.) Green tea.

4: A CLT sammich. (cold sliced chicken breast, lettuce and tomato).

5: Two scoops of whey/dextrose w/unsweetened soy milk and some cottage cheese for dessert. Think I'll stick to original Edensoy instead of the unsweetened variety with the whey.

Penny for your thoughts: "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." --John F. Kennedy (1917 - 1963), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1961

Stash

Coke
05-31-2004, 12:47 PM
I'd say your past couple of sessions are very good man - keep up the nice work!

Focused70
05-31-2004, 09:53 PM
CoCoa: Thanks, mang.

My legz already hate me and its not even tomorrow yet. :thumbup:

Stash

Leprechaun
06-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Leg DOMS is pure haet, but its good for ya...btw, if you get DOMS in the legs frequently, i suggest some active recovery the following day.

ectx
06-01-2004, 07:35 AM
lmfao on your spanglish! I'm amused that somewhere in New York there's an Asian American using the word "joto". :cool:

Focused70
06-01-2004, 08:26 AM
Leprechaun: Active recovery? You mean cardio? 'Splain.

ectx: heh. Part Filipino, mang. Spanish is like my second language since I forgot all of my Tagalog. Two years of high school Spanish and two full years of college Spanish does a brain good.

Stash

Focused70
06-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Tuesday, June 1, 2004:

Weekly Weigh-In: 166
Geesh. Not good. Starting today, I will transform into a lean mean eating machine.

Mealz

1a: Two scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk.
1b: Breakfast burrito (cheddar/homefries/scrambled eggs/ancho chiles), two cups of unsweetened yogurt and a banana.

2: bbq beef, steamed asparagus, french cut green beans. an apple. going to be eating more red meat than I've been doing thus far.

3: a cup of unsweetened yogurt, a protein bar, some fruit I swiped from the cafeteria from earlier. Well, at least THIS protein bar wasn't covered in chocolate.

4: grilled chicken, salad and rice. had a natty pb sandwich and OJ for dessert. :)

5: two scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk and cottage cheese. No, not together, silly. I might be weird, but I'm not that weird...unlike someone on this site who once ate an entire jar of PB each day. :eek: :)

Penny for your thoughts: "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." --Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Stash

Coke
06-01-2004, 09:01 AM
...sure are getting real close to 170lbs mang - :D

wibble
06-01-2004, 05:58 PM
166, not too shabby! Wish I weighed that! :)

DoUgL@S
06-01-2004, 06:40 PM
16 lbs in 5 mo. is real good. You gained it slow enough that the majority may be LBM. Do not be discouraged and EAT.

Never hurts to add natty PB or olive oil to your diet. 1tbsp every other meal will give you 300 (pb) - 360 (olive oil) to your current intake. That should be a 1/2 pound per week more than you are currently gaining and put you at around 1 lb/wk. If you want to gain more adjust as necessary.

Focused70
06-01-2004, 10:19 PM
CoCoa/DM: Thanks. I guess my point is that I only gained .5 lbs. since last week. :eek: Doesn't jive with past history so maybe I need to up the calories.

Wibble: Thanks too. If only my waist were smaller. :(

Not discouraged at all...quite the contrary. I'd be discouraged if I didn't see gains of any sort, but that's not what's happening here, thank god.

Stash

Focused70
06-02-2004, 09:05 AM
Wednesday, June 2, 2004:

I remember reading once that Arnold mentioned something about lifting improving his circulation and how he rarely got sick anymore after beginning bodybuilding. I'm in the middle of going through a summer cold (right now in the yellow/green snot nose stage which is usually towards the tail end of a cold), and I really think there's some truth to Arnold's statement. Ordinarily now I'd feel miserable but the cold doesn't feel anything more than a nuisance.

Leg DOMS are slowly easing away. Thinking of going into the gym tonight for a 20 min. cardio session on the bike.

Mealz

1a: Two scoops of whey/dextrose with soy milk.
1b: Two cups of plain unsweetened yogurt, a VAT of oatmeal and some fruit.

2: grilled chicken breast w/havarti cheese and spinach, orzo, ratatouille.

3: two cups of unsweetened plain yogurt and a banana.

4: grilled chicken, rice and salad.

5: not yet...but will be a hamburger (medium rare) w/lettuce and tomato.

6: two scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk.

Penny for your thoughts: "It is your work in life that is the ultimate seduction." --Pablo Picasso (Spanish Cubist painter (1881-1973))

Chest and tris tomorrow.

Stash

cphafner
06-02-2004, 09:08 AM
you've made some great weight gains, keep it up!

Relentless
06-02-2004, 09:18 AM
add a sixth meal in there and you're all set

Focused70
06-02-2004, 12:29 PM
cp: thanks for the encouragement, mang. when's the big move?

Cal: why do I get the feeling that cutting's going to be a nightmare? :eek: *imagines six meals of dried out baked sweet potatoes*

Stash

debussy
06-02-2004, 02:08 PM
hey soba... i just checked out your journal... about 20 pounds gained slowly? sounds like pretty damn good progress... how much do you think was lbm and how much was fat?

Focused70
06-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Deb: Not entirely sure. There's a good chunk around my waist that I'd like to get rid of. I'd guesstimate about half or slightly above half, but I could be wrong. And actually, it's 26 lbs., since I began lifting in December. I hadn't done much activity during the accident...so your guess is as good as mine as to exactly how much of what I'm carrying is muscle.

Calipers are no help btw.

Stash

Focused70
06-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Well I have more than a few questions about cardio (see BB section of the site) and I've pmed a few ppl. Tonight was supposed to be 20 minutes on the bike, but didn't get out of work until 7:30 and home until 8:30. :swear:

Anyway, time for me to turn into a pumpkin.

See y'all in 11 hours.

Stash

Focused70
06-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Thursday, June 3, 2004:

Well, I woke up feeling like total crap...so called in sick and went back to bed. Woke up around 11:30 and convinced myself that staying in bed was not the way to go, so dragged myself out of bed and made myself breakfast. Having a summer cold sucks but staying home in bed sucks even more. Keeping myself hydrated though...when I get done, either it'll flee my body or I'll have pi**ed it all out.

Day 1: Chest and tris

Not a good workout...

1: Smith flat bench presses: 30x12 (warmup), 55x10, 55x8, 30x10 (close grip)
Form was kind of spotty throughout. My triceps are my weak link when it comes to my chest work. I'm really going to have to work these like a mother because what usually happens is that they give out way way before my chest gives out. My arm strength is laughable. Otoh, Natalia spotted me all the way through, so now I've got something that I can start working on...wasn't a total loss.

2: Hammer strength presses: 20x10, 20x8, 30x4*
I don't know if it was because of my cold but I felt weaker than normal doing these...or perhaps it was because I skipped doing these last time. :mad:

3: Icarian pec flyes: 40x8, 40x8, 50x8

4: Assisted dips: 16x15 (+1W), 15x12 (+1W), 16x14
These were much better and actually improved over last time.

5: Tricep pulldowns: 50x8 (+10W), 50x8, 60x5 (+10W)
MUCH better.

Notes: I hate colds. I can't wait to get back in the gym (and to quote Rock), "to rape the weight". I got own3d today and I'm not happy. I give this workout a C-.

Saturday is back and bi day.

Mealz

1: 4 egg white omelette with whole wheat toast. 2 scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk. glass of pulpy OJ.

2: 2 scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk. triple natty pb sandwich (that's three slices of whole wheat slathered with natty pb and some more on top).

3: arroz con pollo and salad. not bad for $4 even though el moderador says he can beat that by .75. bah los tejanos!

4: one cup of nonfat cottage cheese topped w/chunk light tuna packed in water (and drained). 41 g of protein and 5 g of fat, at 300 calories. Nothing a little Mrs. Dash can't fix. :)

5: broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts (broiled with 1 t. of EVOO), over pasta; steamed zucchini. LOTS of water.

6: two scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk and a couple of oranges.

Penny for your thoughts: "The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." --Frank Zappa (American musician, singer and songwriter; (1940-1993))

Stash

Chubrock
06-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Good luck gettin rid of ya cold. Everythings look A-OK. Good job.

Alke
06-03-2004, 04:29 PM
hey nice session, I cant do dips, nerves in my right hand feel like they on fire when I try to dip.

i would think if you wanna work triceps more move out of the smith rack. here is some links to triceps and specifically JM PRESSES

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=13323&tid=51
http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/264tri2.html

video link =
http://www.joeskopec.com/assist.html

hope you feel better man. drink some red raspberry tea (celestial seasonings I think) that stuff is LOADED with anti-oxidants and sure to clear **** up fast, much less keep stuff away if you drink it regularly.

Alke
06-03-2004, 04:31 PM
course you can stay in the smith machine and tell me to **** off.......

what you doing in there, just switching things up?

DoUgL@S
06-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Hey Soba. Sorry about the cold.

For triceps I'd make sure to include close grip bench press and french press/skull crushers into your arsenal. Also you might want to switch things up and do tris on back day so that they are not pre-exhausted when you work them, and hit them hard.

Focused70
06-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Celtic Cowboy: Thanks, man. Have mild chest/tri DOMS so maybe something good was hiding in that workout even if I didn't feel it in the beginning.

Mooseman: Thanks, duder. Something to keep in mind in the future. In the Smith rack for now until I work up enough courage (*cough*) to lift some real man weights. (*coughs and peeks behind the curtain*) Take a look at around page 6 or 7 for some answers.

DM: Was planning on doing some extra tri work on leg day this week actually. Then chest/shoulders on Thurs., back/tris next Saturday and legs/biceps the following Monday. (Usually do abz on a regular off day like Sunday.) Might be also I'm getting used to things, so we'll see.

Focused70
06-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Friday, June 4, 2004:

Slept like a baby last night. Didn't want to get up this morning....god almighty, I *loathe* getting up as much as I loathe turkey. ;)

Mealz

1: Two cups of unsweetened yogurt, fruit, OJ, a VAT of plain oatmeal.

2: skirt steak, steamed broccoli, rice. today, the broccoli was like eating wood. the mind boggles at how the cafeteria can turn a perfect vegetable into a piece of inedible wood.

3: fruit, a protein bar, and some peanuts.

4: arroz con pollo, salad, rice, yogurt sauce.

5: four scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk. (doubled this because I should have drunk them this morning but forgot...)

Penny for your thoughts: "Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child." --Dan Quayle (Vice President of the United States during the administration of George Bush, Sr.; (1947- ))

Stash

John0101
06-04-2004, 05:17 PM
damn nice work man on gaining the LBM, diet looks spotless. Keep up the hard work man.

Alke
06-04-2004, 08:23 PM
man, your heel fracture was four months ago, and you said the doctor told you to lay low for a month or two.

have you checked back with the doc, I think it would be okay to move into the squat rack now and work on stabilizers. now that I said my peace I wont bring it up again, I feel you on wanting to wait till YOU feel ready.

Focused70
06-04-2004, 11:00 PM
John: Thanks, mang.

Mooseman: I hear ya, mang. It'll come in due time...but I have to do what I have to do, capice? :D Doc says its ok as long as no pain is involved to do weight-bearing exercises. I might be physically ready, but I'm not mentally ready.

Ok, time for me to turn into a pumpkin. On account of having the cold, might do back/bis on Sunday instead of tomorrow, so we'll see.

Stash

Saint Patrick
06-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Click Here for Spiritual Enlightenment (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html)

chops
06-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Friday, June 4, 2004:

Mealz

1: Two cups of unsweetened yogurt, fruit, OJ, a VAT of plain oatmeal.

Stash
VAT is a word that i don't see used much and you even capitalized it :) it makes me think of chinese restaurants that serve up orange wedges with the bill. i recall once that i saw oranges getting chopped up and thrown into a humongous vat. for some reason, the sight totally grossed me out and now i can never eat those oranges. weird.

Saint Patrick
06-05-2004, 01:01 AM
The best is when the sushi restaurants serve them on a plate drowned in Saki.

Japanese Screwdriver :)

debussy
06-05-2004, 11:25 AM
VAT is a word that i don't see used much and you even capitalized it :) it makes me think of chinese restaurants that serve up orange wedges with the bill. i recall once that i saw oranges getting chopped up and thrown into a humongous vat. for some reason, the sight totally grossed me out and now i can never eat those oranges. weird.

Haha that's so weird. Unless the vat was really dirty... there's really nothing to be grossed out about. They probably serve many oranges a night, so they're just being smart and taking care of the oranges so they don't have to worry about it later

Alke
06-05-2004, 11:37 AM
cool, have a good back/bi session man!

St.P heh, nice one man, deads rule

Focused70
06-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Saturday, June 5, 2004:

Day 3: Back and biceps!

Cold wasn't that bad this morning and actually subsided for the most part, so off I went to the gym...

+! Indicates PR

1: Icarian lat pulldowns: 70x8, 80x8, 80x8 (+2R)
Form was great. Squeezed on each rep, mentally practiced this beforehand. I've taken to visualizing the exercise in my mind before going to the gym so I can embed the movement in my little gray cells.

Since the gym was kind of crowded today for a Saturday afternoon....I switched the order of things around. Actually may keep this order because things worked out better than normal.

2: Assisted chinups: 18x12, 17x12, 17x10
Went lighter first set so as to work on form. Need to remember to stretch and feel things more on the way down.

3: One arm bent over dumbell rows: 20x10 (+5W), 20x10, 25x9 (+5W)
Yep.

4: Seated Cybex rows: 75x8 (+10W), 80x8 (+10W), 80x6

5: Lower back extensions: BWx10, BW+10x12 (+2R), BW+10x15 (+5R)
Will add some weight in next time. Pretty good.

6: Standing dumbbell shrugs: 25x10 (+10W), 25x12, 25x12
Have to get a second opinion on if I'm doing these properly. Seemed to work well though...

7: Barbell curls: 40x12, 40x10
Just learning this for the first time. Used a cambered bar.

8: Standing dumbbell curls (with my back to a wall): 10x12, 10x12, 8x12
Pretty good, although need to keep my elbows back

Notes: On the whole, actually pretty good. In retrospect, could have gone heavier on the lat pulldowns, but this was a nice workout. Learning form issues on arm work. I think I'll be using these exercises instead of machine work that I've been focusing on (or in conjunction with them). I give this workout a B. What would it take for an A- or an A? Easy. Just no mistakes and things that are spot on. Not there yet.

Mealz

1: 4 egg white omelette, whole wheat toast, OJ. Two scoops of whey/dextrose with soy milk.

2: Two scoops of whey/dextrose with soy milk, a couple of oranges, a peach and some nuts.

3: HUGE bowl of nonfat cottage cheese topped with a can of chunk light tuna, drained and some Mrs. Dash.

4: arroz con pollo, salad. glass of OJ. trail mix.

5 and 6: to come.

Penny for your thoughts: "Drop the question what tomorrow may bring, and count as profit every day that fate allows you." --Horace (Roman lyric poet & satirist (65 BC -- 8 BC))

Stash

Focused70
06-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Patrick-sensei: Hm, I seem to hear an echo. :D

chops: Could say a LARGE soup container full of oatmeal but somehow that doesn't have a nice ring to it.

Patrick-sensei: Sounds nasty.

debussy: But chopped up oranges?!? I dunno.

Mooseman: Almost forgot you, duder. Thanks, mang.

Ok, I'm practically starving! Have to go eat now. :D

Tomorrow is abz.

Monday is my favorite: WHEELZ and deltz!

Stash

Coke
06-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Good back and bicep work...you are going to a new level mang, especially now that you are feeling better - ;)

Shark
06-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Just catching up on your journal now... good progress so far!

Focused70
06-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Sunday, June 6, 2004:

Ok, I have half the songs on The Joshua Tree running in my head now. Serves me right for listening to it whilst I was doing abz. Yeah, I'm a U2 junkie....even though "Pop" wasn't one of their best efforts. On the other hand, they're coming out with a new album this fall and going on a new tour. YAY!!!

Also known as the tale of the leggy chicken who was skinny AND fat at the same time. :cry:

+! Indicates PR

1: Crunches: 1x20, 1x25, 1x30

2: Plank: 3 sets @ 40 seconds each
always good for building character.

3: Scissor kicks: 3 sets @ 30 each

4: Leg raises: 2x10
god, I hate doing these with a passion.

5: Wall crunches: Feet at a 90 degree angle; 2x20 (+1 set)

6: Situps: 1x30, 1x25, for a slow count of 5 per rep

Mealz

1: 4 egg omelette, natty pb sandwich, glass of OJ, two scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk.

2: Fruit (oranges, peaches), bowl of cottage cheese w/one can of chunk albacore tuna, drained. Glass of soy milk.

3: Natty triple pb sandwich, two scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk.

4: Broiled chicken bento box (broiled chicken, sashimi, shu mai (shrimp dumplings, salad, Japanese rice), miso soup, gyoza (Japanese pork dumplings), hiyayakko tofu (cold bean curd with bonito and shaved scallions)

5: Two scoops of whey/dextrose w/soy milk. Oatmeal.

Penny for your thoughts: "...She is liberty /And she comes to rescue me /Hope, faith, her vanity /The greatest gift is gold..." --U2, from "In God's Country" (The Joshua Tree, 1987, Island Tree Records)

Seeing Potter 3 tonight. (First time for me.)

Stash