PDA

View Full Version : Old day strongmen...

PumpingIron06
12-26-2003, 05:59 PM
The old day strong men of the late 1800's to the early 1900's used to lift every day, the same muscles. And these guys got ****in horribly strong an built. Example...Arthur Saxon puttin un 440lb over head with one arm. Obviously no steroids were involved then, so my question is do you think its possible to train everyday the same muscles and not overtrain and keep gettin stronger and bigger. Any thoughts?

synthetic
12-26-2003, 06:07 PM
pic of him doing 440lb over head with 1 arm?

PumpingIron06
12-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Well this isint exactly the pic...but its similar...dosent say how much.

http://www.sandowmuseum.com/page88.html

Saint Patrick
12-26-2003, 11:23 PM
The old day strong men of the late 1800's to the early 1900's used to lift every day, the same muscles. And these guys got ****in horribly strong an built. Example...Arthur Saxon puttin un 440lb over head with one arm. Obviously no steroids were involved then, so my question is do you think its possible to train everyday the same muscles and not overtrain and keep gettin stronger and bigger. Any thoughts?

I'll tell you what man, how about you lift every day w/ the same muscle groups without steroids and report back to us in like 4 mos. Let us know how it works for you.

body
12-27-2003, 04:48 AM
are you sure he put 440 pounds above his head with one hand?

his best lifts were
bent press: 370 lbs.* - snatch: 195 lbs. - military press: 252 lbs. - two hands anyhow (powerlift): 448 lbs.

I am not sure what a bent press is? is it a bench press?
but i know what a military press is. and if you can do 252 with a miltary press your not going to be able to do nearly 200 pounds with one less arm.
is the two hands any how lift a deadlift? or a older varaition on it.

good site, i am having a good browse and read of it.

PumpingIron06
12-27-2003, 10:02 AM
Yeah I know it is a good site, so much history in it but dont get overwelmed, read it all. Im thinkin I will try doin that and report back to you guys. I am sure he put 440lb up because I have a picture of him doing it in a old 1899 newspaper article. I dont know why that page dosent say that lift. It was at some fair I cant remember off the top of my head, and it says below the picture "Aruthur Saxon & Trio-Press of 440lb overhead". If I had a ****in scanner id try to show you guys it.

Meat_Head
12-27-2003, 11:26 AM
are you sure he put 440 pounds above his head with one hand?

his best lifts were
bent press: 370 lbs.* - snatch: 195 lbs. - military press: 252 lbs. - two hands anyhow (powerlift): 448 lbs.

I am not sure what a bent press is? is it a bench press?
but i know what a military press is. and if you can do 252 with a miltary press your not going to be able to do nearly 200 pounds with one less arm.
is the two hands any how lift a deadlift? or a older varaition on it.

good site, i am having a good browse and read of it.

You've been into weightlifting for 5+ years and don't know what a bent press or 2 hands anyhow is? No offense intended, but study some of the old greats, you'll learn alot of great information, and gain new respect for those ancient and simple lifts.

chris mason
12-27-2003, 01:09 PM
The bent press is when the lifter bends at the waist to the side and uses his off leg to help support him. It is a style of lifting that allows one to lift much more weight with one arm than would normally be possible.

body
12-27-2003, 01:17 PM
never heard of the terms.

the exercises are not mentioned on here.
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

I got 44 thread withthe word bent in on searhcing the powerlifting foum, but they discussed bent legged deads or bent over rows. very little apart from one or two of your post mentiones them and a rough description from pavel which leaves to much up to the open mind to do it correctly. though i think i have done some similar.

have you a link to site where i can see a description?