PDA

View Full Version : question about protien

jaydx
12-27-2003, 11:02 AM
does anyone consider a protien shake "a meal"?? maybe a stupid question but it was on my mind at the time

Wedge
12-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Absolutely. One N-Large2 protein shake mixed with whole milk for bulking is a little more than 900 calories. 52 grams of protein and 86 grams of carbs. That's a meal bubba !!

When cutt'in, same principle applies, but ya use whey or casein protein shakes with little or no carbs. It still counts as a meal.

Jasonl
12-27-2003, 11:30 AM
I really don't consider them a meal, just a supplement.

Wedge
12-27-2003, 11:43 AM
After reading my post, I see I wasn't clear enough. To preserve the muscle that you worked so hard to gain, you need to eat at least 6 meals a day every 3 hours whether you're cutt'in or bulk'in. I take 2 protein shakes on top of 6 meals a day ( shakes are usually pre and post workouts ) but I still count them as meals cause for the time frame, it's what my body relies on for nutrients. So I personaly get 8 meals a day, counting 2 shakes. Hope that cleared it up.

Manveet
12-27-2003, 04:37 PM
I don't even count "meals" per se. As long as I eat frequently and get in my cals for the day, I'm fine.

To answer you're question, depends upon the size of the shake. If you're having a scoop of whey in a cup of milk, that's not a meal. If you're having something like Wedge (900cal shake), that can be considered a meal.

tjwes
12-27-2003, 09:26 PM
Of course you could count them as meals, if you want to,although it is really a supplement to your meals.Anymore than 2 a day IMO, is too much,and solid food should always come first.You are doing great with 6 meals and 2 shakes, if it helps you to reach your goals.

Holto
12-29-2003, 09:43 AM
To preserve the muscle that you worked so hard to gain, you need to eat at least 6 meals a day every 3 hours whether you're cutt'in or bulk'in

this is a myth perpetuated by various bb magazines

total calories and total protein intake will determine muscle loss or gain

if you ate 3 huge meals with the same cals and individual nute's it would be the same thing

don't kill yourself trying to eat every three hours

Lonewolf
01-01-2004, 09:31 PM
I dont think its a myth, when you eat smaller meals and more frequently its easier on your body and more easily digested, compared to if you ate 3 huge meals. But I agree that as long as you get in your total caloric intake you should be fine

Shao-LiN
01-03-2004, 01:54 AM
Protein shakes have calories, so I consider them meals. You still need to count calories, supplement or not. But counting something as a meal isn't really that important as long as you still count the calories.

JuniorMint6669
01-03-2004, 02:39 AM
Meals, snacks, shakes, meh, whats the difference? I agree with Holto, at the end its all about total calories/protein.

Saint Patrick
01-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Yeah. What exactly do you define as a "meal" anyway?