PDA

View Full Version : Why is candy "bad" calories?

Golden Gloves
12-29-2003, 05:53 PM
I know that candy isn't good for you, whether you are a weighlifter or not. But why? I was sitting there looking at a box of sugar babies today. 180 calories per serving, 41 carbs. And there was only 1.5 grams of fat, and none saturated. Now why would this be bad for me if i'm bulking? There's a decent amount of calories, and not much fat. Thanks

Stray
12-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Probably due to them being "empty" calories - not contributing much nutrition wise. Sugar is also a simple carb and spikes your insulin levels rather nicely.

Truth is most weightgainers are mostly sugar....just empty calories to be pissed away.

Jasonl
12-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Probably due to them being "empty" calories - not contributing much nutrition wise. Sugar is also a simple carb and spikes your insulin levels rather nicely.

Truth is most weightgainers are mostly sugar....just empty calories to be pissed away.
What he said, there are lots of better sources of calories than candy.

JuniorMint6669
12-29-2003, 07:41 PM
If you are bulking and having a hard time gaining weight, candy is not bad. McDonalds is not bad. Ice Cream is not bad. But for the average person who is having a hard time losing weight, it is bad. As the others mentioned, they are rather useless calories. They are also dense calories, a lot of them in a small package. Most likely wont fill you up the same way 180 calories worth of chicken or sweet potatoe would.

Golden Gloves
12-29-2003, 08:02 PM
If you are bulking and having a hard time gaining weight, candy is not bad. McDonalds is not bad. Ice Cream is not bad. But for the average person who is having a hard time losing weight, it is bad. As the others mentioned, they are rather useless calories. They are also dense calories, a lot of them in a small package. Most likely wont fill you up the same way 180 calories worth of chicken or sweet potatoe would.

So if i'm bulking, is eating candy ok? I mean, there's no fat in it, and it's got a number of calories, and a helluva lot easier and cheaper than making food.

JuniorMint6669
12-29-2003, 08:37 PM
Eating candy is ok. Eating only candy is not ok. Dont forget to get plenty of protein and EFA's.

btw. your sig is HUGE. i mean that in a bad way ;)

Saint Patrick
12-29-2003, 10:09 PM

Ditto.

gopher
12-29-2003, 10:47 PM
So if i'm bulking, is eating candy ok? I mean, there's no fat in it, and it's got a number of calories, and a helluva lot easier and cheaper than making food.
If by bulking you mean gaining body fat go right ahead and eat that candy.
If by bulking you mean gaining slabs of quality muscle I'd suggest you go with stuff like oatmeal, yams and brown rice for your carb sources.

Golden Gloves
12-29-2003, 11:48 PM
Eating candy is ok. Eating only candy is not ok. Dont forget to get plenty of protein and EFA's.

Would you have rather me have posted all of my lifting goals and made up maxes like most of the people do? :rolleyes:

Saint Patrick
12-29-2003, 11:53 PM
If by bulking you mean gaining body fat go right ahead and eat that candy.
If by bulking you mean gaining slabs of quality muscle I'd suggest you go with stuff like oatmeal, yams and brown rice for your carb sources.

I agree. Candy is never good for you, even on a bulk. Save it for cheat days.

Would you have rather me have posted all of my lifting goals and made up maxes like most of the people do? :rolleyes:

nope, just shrink the font like you just did

JuniorMint6669
12-30-2003, 12:19 AM
I think pure sugar candies are bad, but something like a snickers or other chocolate+nuts candy is a good source of calories, if you cant find anything else. Seriously. I really think so. If you eat everything in sight and dont gain weight, eat a candy bar too.

Golden Gloves
12-30-2003, 12:25 AM
Thanks