PDA

View Full Version : Does gelatin (aka chondroitin) really help joints?

manowar669
12-31-2003, 03:31 PM
Is this stuff just BS or what? Can eating gelatin (hydrolyzed collagen or whatever) or cartilage itself (chondroitin and various other "brand names") actually benefit a damaged joint? It would seem that after being digested, it would be reduced to basic amino acids, and would be indistinguishable in the blood to the same aminos derived from other sources. Opinions? Any research? Thanks.

TrevorN
12-31-2003, 07:41 PM
ive never heard anything bad about the stuff..ive been taking it for about 3 weeks and was told you wouldnt notice any diff on stiff joints and stuff for a few months

Saint Patrick
12-31-2003, 07:55 PM
Glucosamine & MSM are good for joints/cartilage as well.

Tadger
01-01-2004, 02:25 AM
Volpi N
Oral bioavailability of chondroitin sulfate (Condrosulf) and its constituents in healthy male volunteers.
Osteoarthritis Cartilage (England), Oct 2002, 10(10) p768-77
it appears that exogenous chondroitin sulfate (Condrosulf) is absorbed as a high molecular mass polysaccharide together with derivatives resulting from a partial depolymerization and/or desulfation.

It seems that oral administration isn't a problem. I was too lazy tonight to go lookin for studies on it's effectiveness... but there was a few cited in this guy's study. I've just recently decided to start using it... so I was doin a bit of reading myself. I guess I'll find out how well it works. heh.