PDA

View Full Version : please help me out with a cutting diet

magic8ball
01-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi, I'm 20 years old and I'd like to do something about the shape I'm in now. About two years ago I started training and I went on a cutting diet that people from this site helped me compose. It worked great, I got stronger pretty fast.
But as you've probably guessed by now my old eating and couch potatoe habits are back and the result is a weaker and fatter body.
I'm really sick of it and I would be so happy if someone could help me back into the saddle with a decent cutting diet for I don't know very much about these things.
I'm going to subscribe to a very very cheap gym tomorrow morning for experience tought me they don't bug you with stupid regulations and crappy advice tuttut
Can anyone get me started please?!, thanks

ps: I'm a girl

magic8ball
01-02-2004, 03:33 PM
By the way this is not a new years temporary wishful thinking crazy idea I'm dead serious.
K bye

Saint Patrick
01-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Welcome to the site. If you have any specific questions, we'll be happy to answer.

P.S. Where do you live?

magic8ball
01-02-2004, 03:46 PM
I'm from The Netherlands, may be you know Reinier, he's my brother

Reinier
01-02-2004, 03:47 PM
First of all no need for all the negativity, I happen to know you and you dont look bad at all

Well to start with and to be practical, Id say you start off with a 5 meal diet plan.

The first meal is right after you get up, the last is right before you go to bed. Sleeping makes a long time without food, thats catabolic, it costs you muscle, and you need the muscle to burn fat.

Alltogether you want a diet that has the right number of kcalories so that you lose about 0.5 kg every week. the order or spreading of these calories does not effect the speed at which you lose or gain weight, but it is vital to getting the best ratio between muscle and fat gained or lost.

Protein is important because it helps to maintain and build muscle, since muscle is built of protein, and you want the muscle because it burns fat.

Recommended is at least 1 gram of protein every day for every lbs (0.453592 kg) of bodyweight. opinions vary on this but this would be at the low side of the spectrum of general opinion. you might want to not make protein unnecessarily high becauuse you dont like the taste, cost or hassle.

As you know fat in your diet is not a bad thing, although saturated fat should be kept low. unsaturated fats, such as those from vegetable oils, fish and nuts are a good source of energy and necessary for many processes in your body, including the production of many hormones.

Carbs are the nutrient that is easiest to use to vary your amount of kcalories. Put simply they vary only by a spectrum from fast digesting to slow digesting.
The fastest digesting would be simple sugars, like table sugar and honey and the sugar in softdrinks. outside of some exceptions, you want to keep these as low as possible.

The slowest digesting carbs come from foods like brown bread, brown rice, oatmeal, yams, that sort of thing. they are great because they allow one to keep metabolism going at a steady rate for a long time, being constant is a great help when losing fat or gaining muscle.

then of course you have to drink lots of water, and take a multivitamin.

now i know what you really want is to be spoonfed a diet, that we just make for you, and since you are my sister :) i might just do that, but i think if you understand the theory behind it, you will be more motivated to stick to the program. also dont make yourself be more perfectionist about anything than you have to, in the long run it will only make you give it up

Reinier
01-02-2004, 03:53 PM
yes but thats another board :)
go to the main site and the top category is bodybuilding/fitness
you should ask for that there

Stray
01-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Are you two in the same house together?

I imagine not - because if you are then I'd have to say you two have some communication issues to work on. ;)

Reinier
01-02-2004, 04:04 PM
lol no she is studying in uni about 4 hours away from me. she comes home at times though

magic8ball
01-02-2004, 04:08 PM
hee rein, what's the von Teufelhund all about? I just love it

Reinier
01-02-2004, 04:52 PM
i actually just liked the sound of it, just aristocratic and weird at the same time, then i found out wherre i heard the word- Teufelhund is member on this site. so now its like he owns me. but he really doesnt. dont get the wrong idea.

Reinier
01-02-2004, 05:19 PM

1 cereal, skim milk and eggwhites

70 grams of cereal, 300 ml milk and 6 eggwhites

2 chicken breast, 2 slices of Whole weat bread with peanut butter

3 chicken breast, 2 slices of Whole weat bread with peanut butter

4 Steak, 25 grams of nuts, 1 slice of ww bread

can of salmon, 20 grams of nuts

with as a demand that the peanut butter is used with care, not too damn much, thin layer.

magic8ball
01-02-2004, 05:23 PM
oh dear I hate the fact that I'm going to be eating so many poor little animals, but I like the peanutbutter idea
thanks little brother

Reinier
01-02-2004, 05:24 PM
thats a total of 2153 kcalories... seems a decent point to start for her heigh and weight and how hard i will have her train :cool:

we will have to track weight, and make adjustments where needed. aim for 0.5 kg loss in a week.

remember how little 25 or 20 grams of nuts is... those bags in the supermarket are 250 gram. its not much. youll have to manage with that ;)

Reinier
01-02-2004, 05:26 PM
things dont come so tight, a lil bit more or less wont kill you, but mind that with the fats, they are so much stronger than protein or carbs, get the amounts right in that. make those very neat, civilised peanut butterings on those slices of bread, thats what i held account for

Reinier
01-03-2004, 04:42 AM
so.... any second opinions on this one...

Reinier
01-13-2004, 09:59 AM
diet appears to be too high in calories. lets see what to take out.

Reinier
01-13-2004, 10:06 AM

1 cereal, skim milk and eggwhites

70 grams of cereal, 300 ml milk and 6 eggwhites

2 chicken breast, 2 slices of Whole weat bread with peanut butter

3 chicken breast, 2 slices of Whole weat bread with peanut butter

4 Steak, 25 grams of nuts, 1 slice of ww bread

can of salmon, 20 grams of nuts

Reinier
01-13-2004, 10:10 AM
How about taking out the nuts...

the protein is very high in ratio... but i dont really see where and how to reduce it.

please give some help

magic8ball
01-13-2004, 10:17 AM
1 week and I gained :(

Saturday Fever
01-13-2004, 10:22 AM
How tall are you and how much do you weigh now? Do you have a fast or slow metabolism? I can help better if you give me those answers. :)

Reinier
01-13-2004, 10:24 AM
shes 6"0 or 5"11 and weighs around183 lbs.

fast or slow metabolism... well so slow that on this 2150 calorie diet she is slowly gaining weight.

Saturday Fever
01-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Wow, she's that tall and weighs 183 and she's worried about her shape?

Gym time will really be the key. Your calorie total (2100) is excellent for her, but more importantly she's going to have to be burning those calories. Even something as small as 45 minutes on an elliptical machine 3 or 4 days a week would be a good start.

Reinier
01-13-2004, 10:31 AM
so you dont think the diet should change, since she even gained some weight on this?

I beg to disagree and think we should aim for a calorie deficit... she is already doing cardio

galileo
01-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Well wow, you're quite tall.

The diet looks alright, but if you're gaining weight you might be wise to swap out some of the breads for something like oatmeal and perhaps stop the usage of cereal and milk. I'd also eat a few servings of leafy green vegetables a day. Lettuce, brocolli, peppers, and things of that nature. If you *must* eat a cereal in the morning, use something that is 100% bran, like All Bran or Fiber One, or whatever you freaky-deaky Dutch people have.

Perhaps you should settle in at around 2000 calories and add cardio. The vegetables will keep you quite full if you use them to replace the breads. Since your metabolism is on the slow side, cardio may be your only option. Investigate HIIT if you're not aware of it already. A typical suggestion might be sprinting for 30 seconds, walking for 60-90.

I don't know your supplement laws there, but a thermogenic such as ephedrine/caffeine in small doses may help. I'd also look into green tea extract, as it seems to do quite well on cutting diets. Make sure to get a multivitamin and extra E will help.

Good luck!

chops
01-13-2004, 10:55 AM
yeah, metabolism must be slow. 2100 is almost bw 11, so try bw x10

chris mason
01-13-2004, 12:09 PM
In my opinion the diet outlined is destined to fail. It will certainly work in the short term and she will lose weight.

Sooner or later she will tire of eating tasteless foods and will swing to the opposite end of the eating spectrum. She will then rebound to her previous weight or higher.

If you really want to lose the weight and keep it off you need to control you calories, but you do not need to be fanatical about the foods you eat.

Obviously when one is on a calorie restricted diet it is important to consume foods which are lower in fat as a rule in order to maximize nutrient consumption. That said, she should eat foods she like and not shy away from the occasional treat.

The main thing she needs to do here is reduce her portions.

She can start by writing down everything she eats (her normal diet) and drinks for the next 7 days. She can then count the total calories and find out what her average daily consumption of calories amounts to. Once she has that number she can reduce he consumption by 500 calories per day and start her diet there. She should continue at that calorie level until she is no longer losing 1-2 lbs per week. At that point she can reduce her calorie consumption by 200 per day and continue at that level until she is no longer losing 1-2 lbs per week. This trend should continue until she reaches her target weight.

For a woman of her size I would recommend that she never dips below 2000 calories per day. If she finds that her weight loss is taking her there she can merely up her exercise regimen (aerobic portion) so that she does not need to dip below 2000 calories in order to continue to lose weight.

This sort of eating regimen will allow her to reach her target weight (and then she can bump her calories a tad for maintenance purposes) and to keep the weight off for as long as she likes.

Nobody is going to go through life without consuming some of the rich foods we all love. If you starve yourself you only encourage binge consumption. Go ahead and eat that slice of pizza just keep your total calories in check.

Make sure to consume a multi-vitamin daily as well as some additional C, B complex, and E.

Reinier
01-13-2004, 12:23 PM
hm. i do agree you should stay realistic, but i never sayd when i made that diet i could not tolerate the occasional cheat... Dont worry too much about that she likes her wine and eats with friends now and then. I dont think it will get that bad.