PDA

View Full Version : Well, here goes...

Brand
01-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Let me start by saying that I've learned more from these forums in the week I've been lurking than I was taught in all my years of public school health classes; none of this would be possible without this amazing community, and I truly appreciate the chance to be a part of it.

1/2/04 - Pre-journal

I've got my protein powder, my creatine monohydrate, my routine and diet all planned out; but most importantly, I've got the drive to get it done.

I want to be in shape. No, that's not good enough - I want to be in amazing shape. I want my body to pull out people's eyes like a magnet, and I want to grate cheese on my abs. I want these things because they've always seemed out of reach. They're not out of reach, because this time I've got enough willpower to jumpstart a diesel engine.

You could call this a new year's resolution, but it's been a long time coming. I got my gym membership 4 months ago, but have only been doing cardio and some very light resistance work. All of it has been in preparation for what starts tomorrow morning. I take it back... don't you dare call this a new year's resolution. It's a life resolution - this just happens to be a convenient time to make it happen.

So here's the gameplan. I'm going to start cutting tomorrow. 45 minutes of cardio in the morning, weights in the evening. I'm going to use the WBB #1 routine, and I'm going to hit it hard.

I've got about 170 pounds on my 5'11 frame at the moment, but my bodyfat is on the high side; I'd guess around 18% right now. Definitely too high. My goal is to get my bodyfat down to around 12-13%, but as I do not have calipers or a good way to check that, I'm going to have to go by weight. I'm shooting for 160, which shouldn't take me too long. By the time I get there, I should be comfortable enough in the weightroom that I can start bulking and put on some muscle weight, a commodity I've been lacking thus far in my life.

Here goes!

JeffWillConquer
01-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Welcome. Good luck with reaching your goals.

Saint Patrick
01-02-2004, 10:22 PM
good luck w/ the cutting & welcome to the site

midee1
01-02-2004, 10:26 PM
As for body fat try MyBodyComp.com it will give ya some guidelines anyway. I don't think it's 100% but it will give you a baseline. Good life choice you made by doing this.

Best of luck and here's some :spam: to help ya grow!

Brand
01-03-2004, 07:21 PM
1/3/04 - It begins...

Sleep: Woke up @ 7am. Got about 6 hours of sleep; not too bad, but it wasn't really restful, as visions of barbells kept me awake. I've been staying up until past 2:00am on a consistent basis, and today was the first day of trying to get my rhythm back in order. I'm going to force myself to stay awake all day - no naps. I'm sure I'll be sleeping like a baby by 10pm.

Cardio: Hit the gym at 7:30am for cardio. Workout was good and seemed to go quick, even though I forgot to recharge my mp3 player before I left and had to listen to the excruciatingly bad nu-metal tripe blasting over the gym speakers. 15 minutes on treadmill, 15 minutes on elliptical, and 15 minutes on reclined bike. Heartrate was around 165 for most of the workout, and I really focused on proper breathing. All in all, not bad.

Weights: Went to gym @ 3pm today. I haven't lifted since high school, and really didn't feel comfortable today; no big problem, I expected as much. I had no idea how much weight I would be able to do on any given lift, so I was all over the board trying to find the sweet spot. Still, I stuck to the WBB #1 routine and did all the lifts - or rather, attempted all the lifts; the barbell rows and deadlifts were a bit tricky, as I've never done them before, but you learn by trying. So I tried.

Chest and Back today.

Bench: 7x95, 4x95, 6x85 Started a little too heavy here. The third set was so I could examine my form a little better, and to get a bit of a pump going. I think I could've finished out two sets @ 95, but I was solo and really didn't want to push it too hard without a spot, considering I didn't know what I was doing.

Incline DB press: 8x25, 6x25 Got the weight right on this one. Unfortunately, as you can tell, I have no chest or arms so to speak. I'm not discouraged, though - I know with hard work and persistence, my muscles will have no choice but to come out of hiding.

Assisted Dips: 6x -70, 6x -100 Yes, that's right, weight assisted dips. I can't do proper dips to save my life, so I jumped on this machine so I can learn correct form and not hurt myself. Again, disappointing (but not unexpected) numbers. Oh well, I've got a much better sense of what I can handle now; next chest day will be much better, I think, and the sets much more balanced. Regardless, I still had to work to get them done and I still feel it, which means something is happening.

Assisted Chin-ups: I forgot to write my numbers down; something like 2 sets of 6x -80. I can only do 2 chin-ups unassisted, and again wanted to get a full workout with proper form. Previously I was able to do 6 chin-ups on my own, so I'm confident the strength will return with hard work.

Deadlift: 8x135, 6x135 I've never done this lift before, but it seemed pretty natural. My form was lacking, since I've never done it, but by the second set I had a decent feel for it. Again, next time will be better.

Barbell rows: 6x80, 8x40 This lift was really awkward. Too much weight to start, which made my arms really weak for the second set. I fubar'd this one. Next week, I guess.

Shrugs: 5x 135, 5x100 Stopped this set in the middle and lowered the weight in the interest of technique. I really should start with lower weights and work my way up instead of down.

Stats:
6'0"
169lbs (nice surprise, I was ready for around 175 after the holidays)
No muscle measurements yet, as I can't seem to find a measuring tape. I'll be picking one up soon, though.

Diet:
I'm tracking this through fitday, so I'm not going to post the specifics. First day of the diet, and it went quite well. I do think I'm going to need a slightly larger variety of clean foods to pick from, but I'll figure that out as I go.
Cals: 2164
Fat (g): 25
Carbs (g): 231
Protein (g): 247

I'll probably have a small snack in a little bit, to get a few more grams of fat and carbs going. I was worried that this wouldn't be enough calories, but I've felt satisfied all day. We'll see how it goes with a more days of working out, and adjust if needed.

All said and done, not a bad start - a few bumps that need to be smoothed out, but nothing I can't handle.

Brand
01-03-2004, 07:24 PM
As for body fat try MyBodyComp.com it will give ya some guidelines anyway. I don't think it's 100% but it will give you a baseline. Good life choice you made by doing this.Thanks for the link, that's pretty cool... now if only I could find that damn measuring tape! ;)

Stephen Riddington
01-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Welcome, and good luck.

Brand
01-04-2004, 07:37 PM
1/4/04

Sleep: Slept like a rock last night. Wanted to wake up at 7am, but it just wasn't happening. Managed to get up around 9:00, had a cup of joe and a protein shake (my stomach hates me) and then headed out to the gym.

Cardio: Same as yesterday. 15 mins tread, 15 mins elliptical, 15 mins bike. Felt good; pushed myself a tad harder today.

Weights: Off today. Arms and back are sore, chest only a little bit. Hopefully my chest will get more work once my arms are strong enough to keep up with it.

Diet: Second day of the diet, went well.
Cals: 1738
Fat: 24g
Carbs: 195g
Prot: 181g
edit, ended at: 1944 25 207 215

I've still got another meal I need to get in there, but I feel really full as it is. High fibre foods are really filling. Hopefully I'll be able to eat some turkey breast if nothing else, for some protein. I'm really afraid that I'm not going to be able to eat enough clean calories when I start bulking, but I've probably got a few weeks before that's an issue.

PizDoff
01-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Awesome! You grew an inch from the first post!

PizDoff
01-04-2004, 10:44 PM
And where is everyone's favourite exercise, the squat coming in?

Brand
01-04-2004, 10:47 PM
Awesome! You grew an inch from the first post!Haha! Great gains, eh? ;)

I took the chance to measure my height while I was on the scale. I hadn't gotten it since my last physical, nearly a year and a half ago. I weigh myself with my shoes on, so they were on when I took my height as well. Now I can feel comfortable knowing that my shoes are approximately 1.5in tall. You learn something everyday.

Brand
01-04-2004, 10:49 PM
And where is everyone's favourite exercise, the squat coming in?Fear not, tomorrow is leg day.

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Brand
01-05-2004, 06:13 PM
1/5/04

Sleep: Sleep was good. 8.5 hours. Woke up at 8:15, drank coffee and a shake, and headed out the door. It was -2f outside. I drove the 3 blocks to the gym. I think my pussiness will have an adverse effect on my gains.

Cardio: Cardio was great. 15 minutes on the treadmill, behind a really cute girl I've seen around a few times. I wanted to talk to her, but she bailed before my routine was over, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let a woman stop me from training. I'll get her next time. :DAnyway, bumped up the speed by about .3mph - got my heart going a little quicker. Felt good. 15 minutes on elliptical; dude next to me was doing HIIT. I felt bad for him. 15 minutes on bike, headed home for some breakfast and a shower.

Weights: Leg day. I decided that after the disappointment of Saturday, I was trying to make conservative guesses on weight in hopes of fuller sets. It went decent.

Squats - 8x115, 8x115. Too easy, but a good refresher since I haven't done squats in so long. Next time will be 135 at the very least - I remember being able to do 3 sets of 165 during football lifting in high school. My legs are my strongest part, which isn't saying too much, but I think they'll get stronger quickly.

Hack squats - 8x115, 7x115. Never done this one before. Took me a few to get the hang of it. More weight next time.

Kneeling leg curls - 2 sets, 8x50 left leg, 2 sets, 8x50 and 7x50 right leg. My right leg felt wrong on the last try so I aborted.

Stiff-legged Deadlift - well, I actually got to the gym before I realized I don't know how to do this one. Nobody there was helpful, either. I'm a tool. I looked it up, will do it next time.

Standing Calve Raises - 4 sets, 10x100

Diet: still just about perfect. as of now,
1857 cals
17g fat
223g carbs
192g protein

Weight: Scale said 167 today. Going to up the calories, dropping a tad quick.

rookiebldr
01-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Squats and SLDL's - awesome!

Good luck dude.

clvmike19
01-05-2004, 09:51 PM
As a wise man once said: more eat yes now...

Brand
01-06-2004, 10:06 PM
1/6/04

This will be a quick one, not much time.

Sleep: Good night's sleep. I woke up at 8:15, grabbed a cup of coffee and started up a cd, and crawled back into bed until 8:45 or so. Was too damn cold to get up and move around.

Cardio: I decided to punish my legs a bit, since I didn't really hit them hard enough yesterday. Oh boy, I feel it now though. 15min tread, 15min ellip, 15min bike. Upped the intensity on all three. I was a sweaty mother****er at the end of it.

Weights: Off day.

Diet: Well, I didn't do such a great job of tracking my calories today, mostly because I was away from my place most of the day. I still ate quite clean, but unfortunately I don't think I was able to get much over 2000 cals in. Must. eat. more.

Tomorrow is arm day. Looking forward to it, although I'm definitely going to have to look up a lot of the lifts. I need to find a knowledgable lifting partner.

Brand
01-08-2004, 07:00 PM
1/7/04

A day late on this update. Didn't have time yesterday.

Sleep: Terrible. I went to bed at 10:30, couldn't fall asleep. Finally took some sleeping pills at midnight, which did the trick, but made it take a bit longer to wake up.

Cardio: Took today off. Legs were sore, I was tired, and I needed a rest.

Weights: Arms today.

Overhead Press (machine) - 8x50, 3x50, 5x30. I did this lift last, as a substitute for mil press. My gym apparently doesn't have a military rack. What the hell?

Seated DB Press - 10x20, 8x25, 8x25. Started way too light. Last set was just about to failure. More weight next time.

Standing Lat Raises - 10x20, 10x15. Wow, these ****ing owned me. At least I know what to work on.

Narrow Grip Bench - 8x65, 8x65. Will do more weight next time.

French Press - 6x45, 5x40 (failure). Damn, this one is hard. My tris need some work.

BB Curls - 8x50, 8x40.

Hammer Curls - 6x15, 7x15.

Some more disappointing numbers, but I'm not getting discouraged. It's my first week.

Diet:
Calories: 1959
Fat: 21
Carbs: 229
Prot: 201

I tried to eat more today , I really did. It's just not happening. I think I need to start smoking more weed. ;)

Brand
01-08-2004, 07:05 PM
1/8/04

Sleep: Pretty damn good. Fell asleep listening to Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works. Had a great night's rest with lots of lucid dreaming. Was able to wake up at 8:30 without much work.

Cardio: Same old routine, 15 tread, 15 ellip, 15 bike. Worked up a good sweat. Bumped the speed on the treadmill again - currently at 6.5mph.

Weights: Off today and tomorrow.

Diet:
Today was better.

Calories: 2140
Fat: 22
Carbs: 237
Protein: 228

First week of training/dieting is wrapping up, and already I'm starting to notice I look a bit leaner in the mirror. Weight is dropping too quick I think. Going to try my damnedest to eat at least 2100 calories a day from here on out.

Budiak
01-08-2004, 07:15 PM
So if you hate nu-metal, what do you listen to when you work out?

I am usually eyeball deep in Powerman 5000 when I'm lifting.

Brand
01-08-2004, 08:40 PM
So if you hate nu-metal, what do you listen to when you work out?

I am usually eyeball deep in Powerman 5000 when I'm lifting.I'm usually listening to some Judas Priest, Amorphis, Opeth, Black Sabbath, Nevermore... stuff like that. Fast-paced metal.

I also like a fair share of electronica... Aphex Twin, Autechre, stuff like that. I've got pretty eclectic tastes. Today I was listening to All Girl Summer Fun Band. Just depends on the day I guess.

Budiak
01-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Yeah, fast paced metal. I went through a bit of a phase where I'd listen to nothing but Dr. Dre, Snoop, and company, while lifting...I dont know what the **** was going on with that.

But I can't work out unless whatever I'm listening to makes me want to punch the guy next to me.