PDA

View Full Version : Low carb High protein diets

BigCorey75
01-04-2004, 10:08 AM
ive been reading alot about these diets, and ive decided to start on one, ive read alot about them but reading and personal experience is two different things. to any of you that have tried these diets feel free to give me any pointers tips or advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

Holto
01-04-2004, 10:11 AM
is this the first cut bro ?

your gonna look sick with all the mass you've built

are you still playing ?

either way I haven't done a low carb diet as I think it's unhealthy

try getting all your carbs from fruits, vegetables and WHOLE grains

dont' drink any carbs

defcon
01-04-2004, 11:18 AM
as long as your in a cal deficit you will beable to cut.. but IMO its unhealthy and tastes bad :P i'd agree with Holto and follow a nice, well balanced diet. bour 1.2 g of protein/lb and 25-30% EFA and tha rest with veggies and oatmeal :P

IronDaddy
01-04-2004, 02:00 PM
I highly recommend UD2. It's all layed out for you and I've had incredible results on it. Definitely worth the $20.

BigCorey75
01-04-2004, 02:56 PM
well, its not a real cut, im just trying to slim down a bit, i guess you can say its a cut, my goal is to possibly get down to about 260 but definetly nothing below 250 right now im roughly 285 pounds.

the only fat i really have to lose is in the gut area and a bit on my chest im hoping if i keep my protein intake super high like 2 grams per pound of bodyweight, i can still maintain to gain lean muscle mass while burning off fat.

the plan i was thinking is start by cutting my my main intake of carbs which is juice and soda, so if i can manage to start drinking more if not all water that would be a huge plus for me, then cut out junk food along with fast food.

plus since i like to have fun and drink in college im try limiting it to just the weekend and cut out the mid week drinking and when i do i either stick to good LIGHT beer, or maybe just hard liquor. i know its not the best thing but im trying to make small changes everywhere...lol

i think if i can make those adjustments, im not a huge fan of bread, pasta and rice, but i love potatoes so if i can cut my intake of mashed, baked, and fried potatoes that would help some.

im hoping with these changes the oly carbs ill get would be from a few meat products, and some from vegetables, and if i get hungry ill just down a can of tuna which wil help keep my protein high, plus i plan to take my protein shakes also.

btw i used to eat a small meal packed with carbs before i worked out and that gave me energy to power through my workouts, but ima use a small stack that i "invented" for me sorta. its a stack of a shake that consist of 20 grams of protein mix 5 grams creatine and 5 grams glutamine. i get the same effect.

any other changes you all see that i can make or any other extra advice.

Budiak
01-06-2004, 03:41 AM
Three words.

Lean ground beef.

You can thank me later.

AllUp
01-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Yeah Thank him *after* you get mad cow. :P
Lol J/k

BigCorey75
01-06-2004, 11:28 AM
what about complementary proteins? you know two non meat products yu can combine to make protein.

ie beans and rice?

im asuming these are no good because of the rice factor and that many of them have one ingredient thats high in carbs, but it couldnt hurt asking..

TheGimp
01-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Normally with a balanced diet and getting protein from a variety of sources you should not have to worry about things like complete and complementary proteins. As you say with a low carb diet it will probably be difficult combining grains and legumes, however combining an "incomplete" protein with a "complete" one has the same effect e.g. meat or dairy and beans means the animal protein will make up for the short comings of the "incomplete" one.

SecretAsianMan
01-12-2004, 05:59 PM
How is a low carb high protein diet unhealthy? Let's say that I cut my carbs down ridiculously low (say... under 10 grams a day) and eat tons of lean protein sources(no fat, or very little). What could hypothetically go wrong? Me go crazy?!?!1/

defcon
01-13-2004, 05:10 AM
You need fat.. not just protein.. in atkins you need to eat fat..
but anyway.. if you ate only protein.. then your body would have to use that for its energy.. which is dosen't like to do.. and in tha process i'm going to asume you will lose muscle, feel bad, have headachges, ect ect. either eat balanced diet.. ( best! :P ) of eat a fat+protein diet.

53x12
01-13-2004, 06:01 AM
The strict phase of Atkins & South Beach are designed for couch spuds, not athletes. If you are exercising a lot you need some carbs. I tried the strict phase for a couple of weeks, lost some fat but felt like crap. I'm now (loosely) following the maintenance phase of South Beach, which allows more carbs, and it seems to work well. Just a balanced diet really - no simple sugars and no carbs without some protein.

Oh yeah, and try vodka instead of beer. :)

harryhoudini66
01-19-2004, 02:17 PM
I did it after much research and reluctance to do so. I lost about 30-35 pounds in 2-3 months. After the loss stopped, I decided to go back to balanced diet and went back up like 8 pounds (I guess it was mostly water weight). Then that did not work for me either so I am back on CKD. I know I have lost only water at this point but I have lost 3 pounds in 2 days. Since I know a good amount of the weight loss is actually water weight, I am going to set my goal to be 10 pounds below my real goal i.e. instead of 170 it is going to be 160. That way when I stop and gain water, I will be at 170 and not feel like crap.