PDA

View Full Version : Rash on thighs from cardio

Saint Patrick
01-05-2004, 11:09 PM
It's not so much of a rash, but more of an irritation I get when my thighs rub together for long periods of time when I'm on the treadmill.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what's the best way to prevent it? Vaseline perhaps? Right now I'm treating it w/ baby powder, but there's got to be some way to prevent it from happening.

I suppose this could've gone in the health forum, but it applies here too.

ItalianGalleon
01-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Do you think that the material of your shorts might be exacerbating this? Maybe you just have sensitive skin, but it's not my area; I only run if people are chasing me.

Saint Patrick
01-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Do you think that the material of your shorts might be exacerbating this? Maybe you just have sensitive skin, but it's not my area; I only run if people are chasing me.

Well it seems to happen no matter what kind of underwear or pants/shorts I'm wearing, maybe I do have sensitive skin. I'll try some Vaseline or KY Jelly, unless someone else has a better idea.

PedestrianX
01-06-2004, 03:38 AM
If your daring... I say try some... SPANDEX!

But for optimal results i highly suggest HOT PINK! wiht soem sorta of flames or stripes for added horspower.

Budiak
01-06-2004, 06:53 AM
He may be on to something. Wear bike shorts under your training clothes.

Also, KY or vaseline mixed with sweat and friction...God, I wouldnt want to be next to you when you spontaneously combusted.

drew
01-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Bike shorts would work fine. Just wear regular shorts over them. lol

Vaseline is also great for that. I used to put it on my thighs and nips (ever have chaffed, bleeding nips? Then shut up :D ) when I ran cross country.

Dedicated
01-06-2004, 07:57 AM
My friend has really muscular legs and gets this alot when he sweats while at work, especially in the summer! He uses Gold Bond powder and he says it goes away in like 2 days or so. Hope that helps goodluck.

As for prevention he hasn't figured that part out yet, he just deals with it. He always wears skin-tight work pants or jeans btw, not sure if that has anything to do with it. He blames it on his huge legs.

baldguy
01-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Bike shorts have a pad in the butt that's uncomfortable for running and may cause additional irritation. They have all kinds of spandex (compression shorts) or sliding shorts (for softball) that may help. Just wear regular shorts over them.

Jasonl
01-06-2004, 01:56 PM
I got that irritation, too. However, I only got it after I hadn't done any cardio for quite a while. Now that I've been running again on a regular basis, I gues my skin has become accsustomed to it and I don't have a problem with it. Gold Bond worked until then, though.

Tryska
01-06-2004, 02:19 PM
isn't there soemthing runners use to preven chafing?

astroglide or something?

maybe it's bodyglide. i think astroglide is some kinda of lube. which i suppose would work as well.

Teufelhund
01-06-2004, 02:26 PM
LOL at the thought of Patty walking into the gym with a bunch of astroglide smeared between his legs...

Scott S
01-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Good call Drew. Nobody believes us CCer's about the bleeding nips. :eek:

Ebu
01-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Like drew said, ive just used vaseline, works like a charm.

AndresC
01-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Are you legs hairy? I found one year when I decided to trim/shave down my leg hair (no reason) that my legs had irrataion when I ran. Like skin on skin contact.

Roark
01-08-2004, 06:05 PM
i had the same problem running on the treadmill

go to a sporting good's store(i went to dick's) and get "compression shorts"

they're like bike shorts w/o the padding

they may come with a cup, i guess unless your sparring at the gym you don't need it.

they're not really noticeable under shorts, well, unless you wear short shorts

it cured the problem for me

Budiak
01-08-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm inclined that an abundance of hair on the legs would cause more irritation because leg hair tends to be pretty course. Hm.

PizDoff
01-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Hah, I was gonna recommend the tights.
Seriously.

And maybe some lube while you are at it!!!!

Jasonl
01-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Hah, I was gonna recommend the tights.
Seriously.

And maybe some lube while you are at it!!!!
Saran(sp?) wrap!!!

JustinASU
01-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Could be an STD.